question about water sprites or mouseboats

luvflorida

DIS Veteran
I've heard a lot about these zippy little boats that kids as young as 12 can drive. Can anyone tell me more about them. Which resorts rent them and how safe are they? How big are the boats and are they easy to operate and navigate? The boats sound like a lot of fun, but somehow I can't get the image out of my head of a lake full of youngsters crashing these boats into everyone and everything, (of course Disney would frown on that). I understand the boats don't really travel at a high rate of speed, but still...

These are a blast! I rented one on my last trip and it was great. I got a discount for using my AMEX. You can rent these at the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge in the Magic Kingdom area and at the Yacht/Beach Club (I think you can rent these at the BW, but am not sure about that) in the EPCOT area. The one's around the MK, you can go in the area between the GF, Polynesian & Contemporary, as well as over to the area by the Wilderness Lodge. The one's at EPCOT is the area between the BC/YC & BW, as well as over near MGM Studios. I believe there is a minimum age to drive these, but am not sure what that is. You decide how fast you want the boat to go and can fit an adult, an adult & child, 1 teen or 2 kids. There are patrol boats all over the place enforcing the rules and safety. They will stop you if they see you driving foolish or not giving other larger boats the right of way or going too fast through slow wake areas or going into restricted areas. You can rent them by the 1/2 hour or hour (make sure you bring a watch with you). These are alot of fun!

We love these little boats. To the best of my knowledge they can be rented from GF, Poly, Contemp, & WL. These are all on the bigger two lakes and the boats go faster then the ones rented at BW or YC. They can hold two people, but last time we had and adult and an 11yo girl and with all the weight they do not go as fast. My Dh and I went out in them later by ourselves and had a blast. Since she is old enough we are going to let DD drive one this year. The only thing I told her is she needs to learn a little about the rules of operating a boat on the water. If there are a lot of boats out it can get very busy on the lakes but they are pretty big and there is also a marine patrol on the lakes that keeps a watch on everyone. If they see you doing anything wrong they will flag you down and if you need help they will come to the rescue. I know it sounds crazy but it sure was a lot of fun. We will be doing it again when we go in June.

LeiLani

Our 12 year old daughter would like to try these boats on our next trip to Disney, but I'm nervous about the idea. Will she be given good instructions on how to operate the boat before she takes it out? I guess my fear is that she'll get out on the water and then panic and somehow lose control of the boat. Am I just being pathetic and overly concerned?!?

One thing I should mention. We were at the Poly last year, told our teens they could both drive their own watermice. Well to our suprise, the Poly not only has an age requirement (ds was old enough) but also a height requirement. He happened to be 1" to short and was not allowed to drive. He bacame very angry at mom and dad because we promised him this year he was old enough. Just so there are no other unhappy teens, check their height before you make a promise.

luv,

I wouldn't worry too much as there are water patrol all over. They hardly ever let a boat go out of their site. You could ask them to keep a close eye on your DD. Tell your DD to take it slow until she is more comfortable with the boat.

They are a blast. Only rent them in 7 seas lagoon, that's the most fun. Take'm out for an hour. You'll love it.

Do you have to reserve these ahead of time or can you just show up on the day/time that you want to use them?

BELLE,

Thanks so much for the extra information. In several of the guide books I have, they say anyone 12 and up can drive alone. None of them mention a height requirement. I'm glad I know that now instead of at the time of rental, (when DD's disappoinment would be big, as you well know!). Do you remember what the height requirement was? Our daughter is small for her age so I'm guessing she's probably too short to go alone. I would like to drive one also, and she could go with me, but I know she would have loved to have tried it herself. Thanks so much!

Here's some info for you:

Minimum age is 12 and at least 5 feet tall for "Water Mice" rentals. Maximum weight 300lbs.
around $22- 1/2 hour

My DS was also 1"too short and was 13-1/2 yrs old. talk about
nose out of joint. Two people in a water mouse slows it considerably. They would not let him drive at Seven Seas Lagoon but they sent us to CBR and they did let him drive. The boats are considerably slower and there isn't much room to drive around (also nothing to hit ie.ferry etc.). Made him somewhat happier.

This time he's 15-1/2 and 5'6 absolutely dying to drive his own boat at Seven Seas Lagoon.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the CBR would be the place to check out the little boats. Sounds like a safer place for a youngster to try one out. I've told my daughter that we'll just have to wait and see when we arrive. She's 12 1/2, but not quite 4'9", so unless she sprouts up at least three inches by August, chances are she'll have to wait until next year!

Too funny, I'm 30 and I just meet the height requirement. That would have been hilarious if my son (7) couldn't ride because I'm too short!

We felt sorry for DS-He was the only person out there (CBR) and they had to send out a patrol boat for him anyway!! Safety rules. Every time a boat is taken out they have to send out a patrol and the person in the boat must wear a life jacket. It's pretty safe there. If you just want to see what kind of driver your kids are it's a good place to start and then progress to the others.

Now I can't wait even more being a big kid myself I think this will be a great suprize for DS 7 he just loves riding in boats
Does any one know of a link to any pictures of these? are they the mini speed boat looking ones I remember from the late 70's? :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

Here is a picture of a water mouse. We were there in August and DH and DS each had their own. They had a blast. They are very strict out there as my DS now knows!

url]]

Thanks for the picture to remind me idors8

That looks just like what I was picturing:D boy I can't wait!!!!

Hi
We just rented these for our ten day stay at the poly...something to let you know that i dont see advertised...they have a family plan that allows you to rent up to 5 boats as many times a day as you like for as long as you like for the entire stay. This worked out well for us as we used the boats daily...It was about 200 for the entire ten days and it is definately worth it if you are planning on using the boats more than a couple of times or there are more than three of you who want to rent...Have fun!!!::o

Do you have to rent from the resort you are staying at for the plan?

That is a good question...my guess is yes because they looked us up in their book and then gave us our wristband to hop on board...i would think liability would be too great if they let you do this at other resorts...would love to find out though...

I emailed Disney & they are telling me that this option (the unlimited use) doesn't exist. Where did you stay ???? See my post under Water Craft.... I posted the email that they sent me back.

Hi,

we were at the poly last month and yes they called it the family plan...i read about it somewhere before leaving on vacation and inquired about it when i arrived...i guess it is something you have to inquire about because it was not listed on the watercraft rental board as an option... I think it was $211 for the entire ten day stay and you could take the boats out as many times a day as you wanted...up to five boats each time...grat deal i think no wonder they keep it quiet...tee hee...:p hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter