Question for Nexus card holders

I don't think that's a given. We have had food questions when crossing over. Not often but we have had them. BUT I agree it's so much easier.
Yes us too, but it’s along the lines of “Any food” “some Goldfish, water etc” “ok”

To be VERY clear whether you have the food physically with you (in your carry on) or not (check bag) you are still bringing it into the US with you. Declaring "No" simply because it's in your checked bag could be a very easy way to lose your Nexus card. If they are suspicious they can pull your checked bags back and search them if they want to.

Give yourself time and answer all questions openly and honestly - you'll rarely have a problem that way. Mistakes that are declared can often be fixed, lies often can't.

Glad we use Nexus at a land crossing and to get pre-check when flying out of Detroit 😬. No food questions at all.

Even if agent is not asking specifically, food must be declared. We never bring fresh fruits/veggies or meat when driving to US so I just say we have pre-packaged snacks and it was never an issue. They never ask for more details either. When flying, we don’t bring any, too much of a hassle.

I think much of the no food rule comes from nexus members being able to fast track through security and immigration. We aren’t supposed to carry anything that might slow things down.
We don’t take any food items across—not even the aforementioned gum. Our thinking is that we paid to be fast tracked and don’t want anything slowing us down, such as a declaration of food. We do a grocery shop once in Florida and have never had any trouble getting what we need. We buy gum and snacks once we’ve cleared.
We too have specific food needs as our dd is allergic to nuts, peanuts and kiwi. Never a problem finding things to meet our needs either at the airport or once at the resort.
I wouldn’t be scared. Nexus is great. We usually park our car at park n fly at yyz and are sitting at our gate in under fifteen minutes. I’d give up lots of snack items for that convenience.

My cousin’s wife was told that a piece of chewing gum needed to be declared by a a Customs Agent.

We went to Orlando the end of August and because we were concerned about getting stuck in the hotel room during Hurricane Dorian, we took cheese (vacuum sealed), crackers (box sealed), granola bars, nuts (sealed can), and K-cup coffee pods - all packed in my luggage, not carry on. I carefully read what was stated on the machine and since it said "food" I selected Yes (and told DH to do the same since I distributed food between two suitcases). When I handed the receipt in, I was asked what I was bringing, told him noting that they were sealed - and he just waved me through. Did the same on the way back and was also waved through again. When we first got our Nexus cards years ago we were told to even declare a chocolate bar even if you got it on the plane so I was uber careful. They were so unconcerned about what I was bringing through it's really not worth the risk by trying to hide it. Just be honest and make sure you've done your homework ahead of time to make sure you're allowed to bring it through. And, yes, coffee counts as food.

We were also bringing several external iPhone batteries with us. When going through security, my bag was pulled aside and I was asked if the "block" showing on the screen was an external battery pack. I said yes and he had me open it and show him. Took an extra 2-3 minutes in total. Given that the security screening lines are so short for Nexus holders (and you don't even have to take off your shoes, light jackets, belts, or take out tablets), it's barely a blip in your time. I think it was just where it was in the bag that it showed up as odd. DH had 2-3 batteries in his bag but wasn't pulled aside. Or it's just a random check. There's no prohibition about bringing them, but you may get asked to show it if it looks odd or suspicious.

DECLARE EVERYTHING! Yes, it's a bit of an annoyance to speak to the officer(s) but considering I don't have to wait in long lines anywhere else at the airport I really do not mind. Plus they usually just ask simple questions about what you declared and quickly move on to the next person.

DECLARE EVERYTHING! Yes, it's a bit of an annoyance to speak to the officer(s) but considering I don't have to wait in long lines anywhere else at the airport I really do not mind. Plus they usually just ask simple questions about what you declared and quickly move on to the next person.
Whenever we cross using our Nexus (or fly into Toronto) I'm the person declaring I don't have any cigarettes or alcohol....but I do have 6 Caramel Peanut Apples! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter