Question on adding the Dining Plan

celina14

Mouseketeer
Hi! We have a trip planned for September and currently just have a room only reservation booked. I can buy discounted tickets through my work so I didn't want to purchase a package. Once I buy tickets and link them to my reservation will I be able to add the dining plan? Or does a package have to be booked with Disney to get the Dining Plan?

Thanks!

You would have to call and book a ticketless package.

How discounted are the tickets?
Free dining is bookable right now for dates through September.
You may be further ahead if you just book a free dining package but you'd have to do the math.

You have to be staying onsite to book the dining plan, but the resort + dining plan doesn't have to include tickets.

You would have to call and book a ticketless package.

How discounted are the tickets?
Free dining is bookable right now for dates through September.
You may be further ahead if you just book a free dining package but you'd have to do the math.

The tickets aren't super discounted, it would save us a couple hundred dollars, but we booked the room at the 25% discounted rate because we weren't sure if we would do the dining plan or not. Just trying to weigh all my options.

You have to be staying onsite to book the dining plan, but the resort + dining plan doesn't have to include tickets.

We are staying onsite so that answers my question. I was under the impression that you had to have at least a 1 day ticket to book dining.

We are staying onsite so that answers my question. I was under the impression that you had to have at least a 1 day ticket to book dining.

If the package includes free/discounted dining, yes I do believe they bundle that with tickets. But if you want the room discount, you can book the dining with that and buy your tickets separately. It's generally a one-or-the-other situation (either discounted room, or free/discounted dining) never both.

Technically speaking, you could stay at a Disney resort and use the dining plan on nothing but resort-based restaurants and never set foot inside the parks. It probably wouldn't be the best use of your money, but it's definitely possible.

Whether any scenario is going to work best for you depends heavily on why you're considering the dining plan. For convenience? It's great. For cost savings? that depends HEAVILY on how you would normally eat, and it's generally best to price out what you'd pay out of pocket vs what the DDP would cost to be sure it makes good $$ sense.

Hi! We have a trip planned for September and currently just have a room only reservation booked. I can buy discounted tickets through my work so I didn't want to purchase a package.
1. Once I buy tickets and link them to my reservation will I be able to add the dining plan? Or does a package have to be booked with Disney to get the Dining Plan?

2. I was under the impression that you had to have at least a 1 day ticket to book dining.
1. Yes, you can add a paid dining plan even if you book a room only and buy your tickets separately. You will have to call (cannot be done online) and ask for a ticketless package. Once you add the dining plan it will become a package and will follow all the rules and conditions of a package rather than that of a room only reservation. For a package, final payment will be due 30 days before arrival date, any changes made within 30 days of arrival may incur a change fee and cancellation has different deadlines and penalties from a room only reservation.

2. Tickets are often required as part of a promotional offer such as Free Dining or Stay, Play, Dine, but you are not booking a promotional package so no tickets are required.

Thanks for the help! I’m not positive if we’ll do the Dining Plan because as mentioned, I need to plan out where we’re going to eat and see if it’s worth it or not. But I’m glad to know I can buy my tickets through work and still have the option.

OP, Since you are traveling while free dining is available you should make your ADR's asap. Even if you are not taking advantage of the promotion almost everyone who goes that time of year is and the restaurants book up fast!

OP, Since you are traveling while free dining is available you should make your ADR's asap. Even if you are not taking advantage of the promotion almost everyone who goes that time of year is and the restaurants book up fast!
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on making them as soon as they open up. My date isn’t until mid March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter