• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question on EVC and Resorts

padisneylover

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
My DH has severe arthritis as well as breathing problems and will need to use a EVC on our next trip this spring to WDW. I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone on resorts that are best suited to the use of the EVC since it would be our first time using one. In the past we have stayed at AKL and POR and love them both.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Kathe

I would suggest that if you are driving or have a rental car one of the deluxe is the way to go as the valets will assist in breaking down the ECV and loading it into the trunk as well as removing it from the trunk and assembling it. Of course you would still need to do it yourself (or himself) at the parks.

Similarly, if you stay at one of the monorail hotels your transport to MK or Epcot will be easier with the monorail rather than buses.

I never had a space problem (with just two people) in any of the resorts, even the value ones, for storing/charging an ECV overnight.

All the resorts have elevators. However at Caribbeaan they are more of freight elevators for housekeeping as the building are only two stories.

I agree with Cheshire Figment.
If you plan to go to MK a lot, you would be able to get there (or Epcot) very easily from one of the hotels on the monorail.
If you stay at one of the Epcot area resorts, you will be able to get to both MGM and Epcot easily by either using the boats or walking/wheeling.

From any of the other resorts, you will be dependent on the bus system.

Thank you both for your help. We won't have a car and I have been considering AKL even though it is not on the monarail. Our other possibilities is the Poly but I am concernced it might be noisy and POR which we have visited several yrs ago. I was concerned about the transportation issue with both the AKL and POR and getting on the buses.
Thanks again,
Kathe

If you have a car and don't have a problem putting the ecv into the car trunk, that might be your best option. That way, you don't have to worry about the buses. Where ever you stay, I would probably suggest using WDW transportation to get to MK. That way, you are dropped off right near the park turnstiles.
For the other parks, if you have a state issued handicapped parking permit, park in the handicapped parking area. At MK, you would have to walk/ecv to the TTC and from there take the boat or bus to the park.

I used an ECV from an outside vendor that delivered it right to POR and picked it up , I had no problem with it at all at that resort or with the buses. I was there last year in early December.

We just returned last week from our WDW trip. My DH used an ECV which we rented from an outside vendor. It was waiting at the Polynesian when we arrived. We had requested the Tahiti longhouse as it was close to the water and very near the ticket and transportation center. It was wonderful, the rooms are large, and very comfortable. When in the room we placed the ECV next to the wall along side the first bed. Perfect, not in our way and an outlet right there for charging. Also, were our room was it was not noisey at all. The beauty of the TTC was you can either go over to the Magic Kingdom by ferry or monorail. The ferry was perfered by my DH because he did not like that the CM at the monrail station would ask people already seated to move for his ECV. (However, his feeling changed, when one CM explained that the car had the handycaped sign outside it, and inside it has signage that clearly states you may be ask to move if a guest with a wheelchair/ECV needs the car.) From the TTC you can also reach Epcot by Monorail. It was VERY convenient.

The second week of our vacation we stayed at AKL. We had our luggage transfered by Disney and drove in our car with the ECV to the resort. We were staying concierge level and had a slightly larger room than a standard. The ECV was no problem. My DH rode into the room and backed it between the TV and day bed. Again there was a outlet right there. It was not in our way. The rooms at AKL are smaller than The Polyneian, but since it was just the two of us we had plenty of room. The buses are fantastic from AKL. They are designated buses so you go directly from the resort to the park of choice and back. We never had any problem. The bus drivers were very kind and considerate of my DH and made it clear to him that he was their first concern. I am sure you will have a wonderful stay at AKL. Their CM's are fantastic.

We are already planning our next trip. :goodvibes We will be returning to The Polyneisan and AKL next November. We will not be renting a car on this trip. The bus service was so wonderful that we don't think we need to spend the money for a rental. Hope you have a wonderful vacation. :earsgirl: I am sure you will!!!

Cheshire Figment said:
All the resorts have elevators. However at Caribbeaan they are more of freight elevators for housekeeping as the building are only two stories.

Old Key West only has elevators in the newest buildings.

Deb Wills
Hiya Mike :)

Thank you again all for all the helpful information. We really do love the AKL but I would like to try the Poly so maybe we will consider spliting our trip :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter