Question on La Hacienda and Illuminations

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Making dining reservations for April for a last minute trip we just decided to book today. We often eat at Rose & Crown to watch illuminations outside but it’s obviousky booked and would like to try something different - have read that La Hacienda has good views as well. Was able to get a reservation for 8:15 at La Hacienda with Illuminations at 9 PM that night. As I believe the restaurant is inside I’m trying to understand what the Illuminations experience is like from inside the restaurant (can you see everything? hear the audio?) Or is there a place to step outside and watch at the restaurant?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Making dining reservations for April for a last minute trip we just decided to book today. We often eat at Rose & Crown to watch illuminations outside but it’s obviousky booked and would like to try something different - have read that La Hacienda has good views as well. Was able to get a reservation for 8:15 at La Hacienda with Illuminations at 9 PM that night. As I believe the restaurant is inside I’m trying to understand what the Illuminations experience is like from inside the restaurant (can you see everything? hear the audio?) Or is there a place to step outside and watch at the restaurant?

Thanks!
It is nothing like Rose & Crown. It is entirely indoors. There is no place to go outside to watch.
There are a few window tables with a fantastic view. There are more with some view. And there are others with no view whatsoever.
You can request a table with a view when you check in. But everyone does.
Good Luck

Has anyone tried Spice Road during Illuminations? Sounds like that might be more open air with a better view?

Has anyone tried Spice Road during Illuminations? Sounds like that might be more open air with a better view?

We have and enjoyed it very much. The patio is somewhat weather dependent, of course. They do have heaters when the temperature dips. There are only a handful of tables right up against railing but most of patio does have a somewhat obstructed view. There is not a separate viewing area like there is at Rose & Crown - so your table view is it. I will see if I have any pictures and will come back to post if I do.

If seeing Illuminations is your absolute top priority, I probably wouldn’t gamble with an ADR.

I've watched Illuminations from La Hacienda before. Had a great view. I actually just booked it again for the 4th of July, and am going to keep my fingers crossed.

I've watched Illuminations from La Hacienda before. Had a great view. I actually just booked it again for the 4th of July, and am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks. Could you hear the narrative (ie was it piped in to the restaurant?)

I alwasy prioritize when I make ADR's for fireworks. Is the meal or the show my priority? For Illuminations I take no chances, book my meal early enough to be out in time to find a good view outside the restaurant, get a hot beverage and then enjoy the show.

I alwasy prioritize when I make ADR's for fireworks. Is the meal or the show my priority? For Illuminations I take no chances, book my meal early enough to be out in time to find a good view outside the restaurant, get a hot beverage and then enjoy the show.

I’ve been thinking of this as well. We’ve been lucky with the Rose & Crown last several times so am spoiled. We make the ADR for 7:00 or 7:30 and check in at the desk prior to that time and tell them we’ll wait as long as need be for an outside table and it has worked. But not a guarantee. Could certainly do the Hacienda same way and just go outside to watch after. Tks!

I’ve been thinking of this as well. We’ve been lucky with the Rose & Crown last several times so am spoiled. We make the ADR for 7:00 or 7:30 and check in at the desk prior to that time and tell them we’ll wait as long as need be for an outside table and it has worked. But not a guarantee. Could certainly do the Hacienda same way and just go outside to watch after. Tks!

Exactly. My DH and I were granted a lovely gift this last trip. It was a drizzly night after a day of rain, so EOcot was not hopping busy. My family left after Le Cellier dinner leaving just the two of us for Illuminations. WE saw the patio at R&C was almost empty so we asked if we could sit outside with cocktails. No. Patio is closed....however they took us to the outside tables and offered us one of those! YAY! We had the best of both Worlds. Cocktails in a heated area and then we were able to go to the railing of the patio for a front row view of Illuminations. Best night ever for this Illuminataions fan!

A few years back we saw Illuminations from La Hacienda de San Angel. After researching here on Dis, I made a 7:15 ADR. You are reducing your chances of getting a window seat or good view in the main dining room with a 8:15 ADR. By then, most patrons won't leave their tables till after the Illuminations show. I would change it to an earlier time. We lucked out with a table against one of the large windows. When the wait staff starting rushing out the food we made it clear we were staying for dessert and to see the show. It was pouring out but the show went on and we were nice and dry finishing up dessert. Its definitely worth trying. It was once of the best views we've had for fireworks in Disney. I don't recall hearing the audio but its possible it was on.

Last edited:
A few years back we saw Illuminations from La Hacienda de San Angel. After researching here on Dis, I made a 7:15 ADR. You are reducing your chances of getting a window seat or good view in the main dining room with a 8:15 ADR. By then, most patrons won't leave their tables till after the Illuminations show. I would change it to an earlier time. We lucked out with a table against one of the large windows. When the wait staff starting rushing out the food we made it clear we were staying for dessert and to see the show. It was pouring out but the show went on and we were nice and dry finishing up dessert. Its definitely worth trying. It was once of the best views we've had for fireworks in Disney. I don't recall hearing the audio but its possible it was on.

Thanks for the note. We actually did end up reserving at 7:30 pm, so will plan to arrive a bit early and hope for the best. Worst case, that will be early enough that we can leave prior to Illuminations if our seats aren’t good and just watch outside.

Thanks for the note. We actually did end up reserving at 7:30 pm, so will plan to arrive a bit early and hope for the best. Worst case, that will be early enough that we can leave prior to Illuminations if our seats aren’t good and just watch outside.
Just be aware with Flower and Garden going on, Illuminations spots are prime then due to kiosks set up all over the WS, we had the same issue in September due to Food and Wine. There were people scrambling for a decent viewing spot at least an hour before the show. Just something to think about while also keeping in mind that because Illuminations is on it's way out in the summer, many will be trying to see it one last time.
Another choice for dining with a possible view is Tokyo Dining. They have window seats where you are sitting high up over the lagoon, but these are a hot commodity for this reason, but something to consider if you like Japanese food.

Good luck whatever you decide! :flower:

Just be aware with Flower and Garden going on, Illuminations spots are prime then due to kiosks set up all over the WS, we had the same issue in September due to Food and Wine. There were people scrambling for a decent viewing spot at least an hour before the show. Just something to think about while also keeping in mind that because Illuminations is on it's way out in the summer, many will be trying to see it one last time.
Another choice for dining with a possible view is Tokyo Dining. They have window seats where you are sitting high up over the lagoon, but these are a hot commodity for this reason, but something to consider if you like Japanese food.

Good luck whatever you decide! :flower:

Funny you say that. My original post was about La Hacienda for April (just 2 of us) but after earlier responses I ended up switching that reservation to Tokyo Dining (do you happen to know if they pipe in sound as my friend has never seen it before). Then going with a larger group in July and selected the 7:30 Hacienda reservation for that evening. Thanks for all the tips!

Thanks for that note! I have a 7:45 ADR and was thinking I should move it to later on. Guess I won't!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!