Question...

Elaina

Earning My Ears
I'm a teenager who just had knee surgery. I'm going to DW tomorrow! I can't wait. But a problem I have is that I can't stand for long periods of time. What do you recommend me do? Just take a lot of breaks is what my doctor said. I have a doctor's certificate but will that do me any good? Is there a seperate place where I could sit instead of stand waiting in lines? I don't really want a wheelchair but if I have to I guess I will.

DIsney is the best rehab. lots of walking at your own pace, lots of benches and other places to sit and rest. At a slower pace, with no big hills to climb, you should not need a wheelchair. At the end of the day, you may have some swelling, but if you elevate it and ice it you should have no problem. I've rehabbed my knees there twice, and it's a lot nicer to be there then anywhere else. Good luck

Along with the good advice you already got...
keep in mind that the distances are pretty huge and that it's much easier to deal with pain if you stop before it gets too bad (or appears at all), so stop and rest before you think you need to.

If you need to rest and put your knee up or put ice on it, you can go to First Aid in any of the parks. They are marked on the park maps.

Use Fastpass as much as you can. Someone else in your party can take your park pass and get Fastpasses for you. That way, you can avoid walking to the area until you need to.

You can always rent a wheelchair during the day or evening if you decide you need one partway thru the day. Someone else from your party can go to get one. You don't need a doctor's note to rent one.

You can request a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at Guest Services to avoid stairs. The problem with trying to have a place to sit is that most rides don't really have that available. If you haven't looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, check it out. The last post about GACs should be helpful and also the post with links - look at the link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities and also at the link to attractions for people who might need a little extra time for boarding.

Hope you have a great time and your knee getsx better fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter