Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
So we're officially booked having been planning to do this tour for years! :goodvibes

I know I'll have many questions, but wonder if anyone can help start me off with answers to my first couple...

1. Do we need extra days to see Hollywood or will the ABD tour include enough? (Really just want to see the main sights, but it might be our only visit to LA, so would a separate Hollywood day tour be worth it?)
  2. We will book an extra night to do a day at Universal and evening at Halloween Horror Nights, so I'm thinking we stay at a hotel by Universal - any recommendations?
  3. Think we're going to tag an extra night or 2 on the end at Anaheim for more Disney park time - are there any restaurant recommendations we should book that we won't eat at on the tour?
Thanks in advance!

We flew in a day early and we hiked Runyon Canyon and did a tour of the Chinese Theatre, both of which are walking distance to your hotel. As for Universal, if I were going to do what you are thinking of, I would just book extra nights at the Loew's Hollywood Hotel. The hotel is practically sitting on top of the LA subway line and Universal is like 1 or 2 subway stops away from the hotel. This would save having to rent a car or transfer hotels.

Here is a snapshot of part of the LA Subway system. Loew's Hollywood Hotel is at the Hollywood/Highland stop and Universal City where Universal Studios is, is one stop north at the Universal City stop.
LA Subway.JPG

As for dining recommendations at Disneyland, check out Blue Bayou. It's located inside Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited:
We are Disneyland regulars. I agree that Blue Bayou is a bucket list item - it is something so unique to Disneyland and the ambiance is great. That being said, I personally don't love the menu for the price so it is not one of my favorites to do except every few years for the ambiance. For a meal in Disneyland, we always go to Cafe Orleans (has some of the same menu items as BB). We always sit outside and enjoy the people watching, New Orleans square and Rivers of America. It sounds like you might be there at Halloween which means you could get Pumpkin Beignets. In California Adventure the Carthay Circle is a really nice dining experience. At least try to go for a drink and appetizer. Napa Rose in the Grand CA is another very nice dining experience. Downtown Disney - Tortilla Joe's has good food and great margaritas. For counter service in the parks Cafe del Zoccoro serves Mexican Food and the decorations at Halloween in the area are beautiful. Last trip we tried Hungry Bear after years of not going and were very pleased. Flo's in CA is great ambiance. for counter service.

Halloween time at Disneyland is great. We went for the first time in 2013 and now it is a tradition (we go down for Halloween weekend).

Happy to answer any other DL questions. I have not been on this ABD, but it is on the list.

I did this trip in Feb 2015 and we did Carthay Circle as our Farewell Dinner Restaurant. Another one to consider is Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel. Our group did this restaurant in place of Big Thunder Ranch cause Big Thunder Ranch was closed for refurb when we were tehre.

Hilary, definitely worth doing this trip, even being a Disneyland regular. We had 4 women on our trip who grew up going to Disneyland and lived 90 minutes away. They took the trip so that they could see things that the normal visitor never gets to see.

Thanks for the tips so far!
We've been to WDW many times and love being there at Halloween so thought we'd do our first (and possibly only) DL trip at our favourite time of year. Plus the Halloween overlays some of the attractions have look really cool!

Just realised I need to go back to basics with another question, how do we book restaurants and how far out can we?

If your travel agent booked your ABD then they can book the dining for you or I'm sure you can book it on your own. Unlike WDW, in California you can only book your dining starting 2 months prior. I've got a Disneyland trip booked (not ABD) for this coming December and we can't make dining until October.

And do you call or can you do it online?
Thanks again!

Yes, you can call or do them online. We have done the Backstage Magic trip twice. Our most recent trip was in October and we are already talking about when to go again! :)

A lot of people do the Warner Brothers tour, so that might be something to look into.

Yes, you can call or do them online. We have done the Backstage Magic trip twice. Our most recent trip was in October and we are already talking about when to go again! :)

A lot of people do the Warner Brothers tour, so that might be something to look into.
We are doing the longer WB tour this Oct. I plan on doing a trip report!

Ok, here's another question - do you need to tip your tour guides?

Ok, here's another question - do you need to tip your tour guides?
It is customary (and expected) that you tip the ABD Adventure Guides. You should get the guidelines for tips in the box you get prior to your trip, but here's what the ABD FAQ for this trip says:

Adventure Guide Gratuities
Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included. Based on the quality of service you have received, we suggest the following gratuity guidelines. Please note that this is for each member of your traveling party, per Adventure Guide, per day.

Per Adult/Child/Per Adventure Guide/Per Day—$7 - $10 USD

Example:
• For an 6-day adventure, the Adventure Guide gratuity per Guest, per Adventure Guide: $42 - $60 USD.
• A family of 4 for an 6-day adventure: $168 - $240 USD per Adventure Guide.

For two guides, this is a total of $336 - $480 USD.

The Adventure Guides gratuity can be paid in U.S dollars, local currency, travelers' checks or PayPal. Please check with your Adventure Guide if they accept PayPal.
Believe me, by the time the trip is over, you'll be happy to tip them (I usually tip more than suggested!) because they just do so much and are so fabulous!

Tips for any other guides besides the Adventure Guides are included in the cost of the ABD.

Sayhello

Thank you - and there'll be 2 guides?
Just want to get it in my budget spreadsheet! :thumbsup2

Anyone know if there's a cheaper way to add 2 nights and 2 days of tickets at the Grand Cali than adding it through ABD?

Hotel cost to add on seems pretty steep! Although I assume this is the only way to keep the airport transfer included?

Anyone know if there's a cheaper way to add 2 nights and 2 days of tickets at the Grand Cali than adding it through ABD?

Hotel cost to add on seems pretty steep! Although I assume this is the only way to keep the airport transfer included?
You may want to check on the transfer thing. ABD changed the policy about transfers and doing pre/post stays on your own effective 6/15/15. DisneyKevin did some discussion of that here. I'm still not quite clear on how it applies to post-days, though.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ab...rs-beginning-6-15-2015.3397916/#post-53498845

Sayhello

We flew in a day early and we hiked Runyon Canyon and did a tour of the Chinese Theatre, both of which are walking distance to your hotel. As for Universal, if I were going to do what you are thinking of, I would just book extra nights at the Loew's Hollywood Hotel. The hotel is practically sitting on top of the LA subway line and Universal is like 1 or 2 subway stops away from the hotel. This would save having to rent a car or transfer hotels.

Here is a snapshot of part of the LA Subway system. Loew's Hollywood Hotel is at the Hollywood/Highland stop and Universal City where Universal Studios is, is one stop north at the Universal City stop.
View attachment 103707

As for dining recommendations at Disneyland, check out Blue Bayou. It's located inside Pirates of the Caribbean.

Have a ? for you.......Can you please be kind and post "Directions for Dummies" on how to get to Runyon Canyon from the Hotel?? A hhuuggee thank you:)
as Runyon Canyon is sorta a "bucket List" thngee 4 me.

THANKS AGAIN -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:teleport:

Have a ? for you.......Can you please be kind and post "Directions for Dummies" on how to get to Runyon Canyon from the Hotel?? A hhuuggee thank you:)
as Runyon Canyon is sorta a "bucket List" thngee 4 me.

THANKS AGAIN -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:teleport:

Runyon Canyon is amazing. The views of the city are breathtaking. We did it first thing Sunday morning so that we were back in plenty of time to check in with out guides. The most direct route to get to Runyon Canyon is as follows:

1. Turn right onto Highland Avenue after exiting the hotel
2. Turn right onto Hollywood Blvd (alternately you can access Hollywood Blvd through the Hollywood and Highland centre but you still need to turn right.)
3. Walk 4-5 blocks along Hollywood Blvd (make sure you pass the Chinese Theatre to know you are going in the right direction)
4. Turn right onto North Fuller Avenue and walk to the end. The entrance to Runyon Canyon is at the end of N. Fuller Avenue.

Alternate Route (to avoid Hollywood Blvd)
1. Turn left onto Highland Avenue after exiting the hotel
2. Turn left onto Franklin Avenue
3. Walk 4-5 blocks
4. Turn right onto North Fuller Avenue and walk to the end.

Runyon Canyon.JPG

Make sure you carry water if you're hiking Runyon Canyon. Even when it's cool out it can get pretty steamy in the canyon.

There is a Fresh & Easy market in the plaza located at North Sycamore Avenue and Hollywood Blvd. This is a great place to pick up inexpensive bottles of water as well as snacks. There is also a CVS Pharmacy in the same plaza.

Also there are 2 routes you can take to hike the canyon. If you go clockwise (which we did), you will have a gentle ascent up to the top of the canyon and a steep descent back down as you go down the crest of the canyon. Alternately you can go counter-clockwise which will have you going up the steep ascent and the gentle descent.

Be aware that there will be tons of dogs in the canyon as it's a favourite spot for locals to take their dogs.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter