Questions about Air Travel

MulanMom

MK is my happy place!
It's been about a decade since we last traveled to WDW via air as a family. DH uses an ECV and we've been driving. I'm a bit stale with my knowledge with regard to air travel. So, here goes:

1) Travel will be in Dec 2020 just prior to Christmas. Should I wait for SW fares for that time period or book on other airlines if the flights are non stop and reasonable with fares and luggage fees?

2) Assuming I wait until SW releases their fares for Dec, I'm not sure what's the best approach for our situation. DH needs to use his ECV in the airport to get to the gate. He cannot stand or walk for long or much of a distance. With his mobility issues and needing to check the ECV at the gate, where does that put him in boarding groups?

3) We are a group of 4, DH and myself, DS and his GF. Will I be able to board with my husband? How do I best handle DS and his GF? Do I pay for EBCI for all of us?

4) DH is a big man, not due to weight, but 6'4" with broad shoulders. Should I be proactive and purchase additional seat for him? I saw where I can then ask SW to credit the cost of that afterwards?

5) DD and her BF will travel SW from a different airport. Am I correct in thinking anything that's recommended for DS and GF to do on our flight should be done for them on theirs?

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. If this is better in it's own thread, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) Yes, and then stop looking! Or wait for SW, and keep checking cards after purchase, but don't expect a reduction.

2) See the website for your airline of choice for special needs boarding. Example: I'm relatively certain JetBlue doesn't announce it, you have to request. SouthWest, he would request a blue boarding card. Also see the disABILITIES forum pinned threads for advice about flying with a mobility device.

3) Yes, you should be able to board with him. EBCI is up to you. They would board with their designated boarding group.

4) Shoulders don't matter. Hips do. Each passenger is entitled to one complete seat. The armrests are the exterminating factor.

5) No idea how to answer that.

1) Yes, and then stop looking! Or wait for SW, and keep checking cards after purchase, but don't expect a reduction.

2) See the website for your airline of choice for special needs boarding. Example: I'm relatively certain JetBlue doesn't announce it, you have to request. SouthWest, he would request a blue boarding card. Also see the disABILITIES forum pinned threads for advice about flying with a mobility device.

3) Yes, you should be able to board with him. EBCI is up to you. They would board with their designated boarding group.

4) Shoulders don't matter. Hips do. Each passenger is entitled to one complete seat. The armrests are the exterminating factor.

5) No idea how to answer that.

Thank you, Katieeldr. I'll check out disABILITES forum as well!

I’m going to add another option on your #4...
Shoulders and hips both matter!
My DH had recently been getting an extra seat...because of his shoulders. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not small everywhere else, but it’s his shoulders that put him over the edge. He’s 6’4” with very broad shoulders and a barrel chest...and muscular but average legs, hips and seat. He could sit in the seat anytime, armrest goes down no problem...but you can only hold your shoulders in with your arms crossed for so long before you get uncomfortable.

I’m smaller than my DH, but carry most of my weight in my hips and legs...I can sit on one hip if need be.

Looking at the two of us, I would absolutely buy DH an extra seat, haven’t felt the need to for myself (whether DH is with me or not).

I’m going to add another option on your #4...
Shoulders and hips both matter!
My DH had recently been getting an extra seat...because of his shoulders.
But he does this by choice, for his own comfort. Broad shoukders don't prevent the armrests from staying in the fully "down" position. OP can absolutely purchase a second seat for her husband's comfort, but if the armrests aren't affected, the airline will not reimburse the second seat fare.

I also have broad shoulders and hate spending flights pressed up against a stranger who also has broad shoulders. If only airlines would do the decent thing and provide more spacious seating...

But logistically, no, broad shoulders won't get you an extra seat comped by the airline. If only.

You won’t find any other airline with free luggage other than SW. we live in the chicago area and it’s been years since I found SW to be any lower than United or American. Unless you get very lucky and get a cheaper fare sale at the right time. You could board early on SW.

Christmas time will be more expensive regardless of airline. And very busy. I’d suggest you book once you find any reasonable fare. If the size of the seat is important book at least once economy plus aisle seat for DH. United with board you early. Bags will be 25 to 35 per checked bag

if others are flying out of a different city just coordinate arrival and departure times with them. Doesn’t really matter on the airline. They can book their own ME bus reservations and meet you at resort or try to meet at airport. M

Thank you to everyone who's replied on this thread. I think I'll wait for SW to release its fares. It'll give me time to study up on the best way to book, etc. And if the fares end up being too high, we always have the option of driving. :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!