Questions about considering a move to Florida

We are taking the plunge this week. Chose Lakeland. It's about 45 min to the parks. I didn't need to worry about a job as I am a full time telecommuter. My hubby will need a job. But he does construction so don t see it as a huge problem. Biggest shock for us was the home owners insurance. It was triple of what we currently pay in central ny.

We moved from the Chicagoland area a year ago. We too are 45 mins from Disney and about an hour or so from the beach. Never regretted our decision.

We are from Wisconsin and feel your pain.
When I Was driving home tonite from work, I was thinking how we have not been out side
since November, enjoying an evening, it has been 20 degrees or colder. This winter has been brutal.
I would take a month of hot humid weather any day over this ice cold freezing tundra.

My dh works 3 weeks every Feb. in Florida and I usually go down for a week to join him.
His company is putting in Natural gas lines.
When we talk to other people in the industry in Florida, they tell us the last place you
Want to live is the Orlando area, even though the eastern side of Orlando has developed
substantial growth in the last 10 years.

We were told the Space Coast area, Titusville, Cocoa Beach area was the place to buy a few years ago, since many workers were moving out, after they lost their jobs.

Good luck and it sounds like you are going to figure it out with lots of suggestions, research and plenty of links some poster previously gave you.

Every thread about moving to Fla, I always discourage them, but am I winning, its 25 in Akron right now as I post this

The Florida you see at the theme parks is NOT the real Florida. It is infested with alligators, huge man-eating snakes, giant flying cockroaches that are not afraid of the light, mosquitoes, plus drunks, perverts, you name it! So, really for your own good, come for a visit to the theme parks, spend LOTS of money, then return to your wonderful northern homes. Thank you. :smooth:

We are from Wisconsin and feel your pain.
When I Was driving home tonite from work, I was thinking how we have not been out side
since November, enjoying an evening, it has been 20 degrees or colder. This winter has been brutal.
I would take a month of hot humid weather any day over this ice cold freezing tundra.

My dh works 3 weeks every Feb. in Florida and I usually go down for a week to join him.
His company is putting in Natural gas lines.
When we talk to other people in the industry in Florida, they tell us the last place you
Want to live is the Orlando area, even though the eastern side of Orlando has developed
substantial growth in the last 10 years.

We were told the Space Coast area, Titusville, Cocoa Beach area was the place to buy a few years ago, since many workers were moving out, after they lost their jobs.

Good luck and it sounds like you are going to figure it out with lots of suggestions, research and plenty of links some poster previously gave you.

I wonder why they say that. I mean, I get wanting to live on the coast, though I personally wouldn’t pick the locations you mentioned. But then again, I love living in Orlando for the most part.

I’m always so confused when these threads pop up. It’s 99% warnings about how awful Florida and especially Orlando is. I’ve never sussed out if it’s actual locals saying this or how people feel after visiting. If it is locals then they either don’t want people to move here or should move themselves lol.

There are some downsides like living anywhere, but I really like it. I probably wouldn’t like living in a more touristy area. People make it seem like it’s all tourists all the time. Honestly, in my daily life I don’t really cross paths with noticeable tourists. Unless I go to Millenia or I-drive or WDW it’s not obvious that you’re in a tourist town. I wouldn’t move anywhere without a job or independent income and daily life anywhere is different from vacation. I just don’t understand how these threads are always “don’t move, it’s better where you are” there’s clearly something I’m missing!

We moved to Florida 22 years ago. We also have one family member living in Florida. We spent 17 years in the Tampa area. The last 5 have been in South Florida, due to DH being transferred. Our family member lives in the Panhandle. We've spent a lot of time touring the state. If I could choose any area to live in, it would be the Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg area. IMO, that area has the best of what Florida has to offer. You have access to a good sized city with many things to do, you're close to Orlando, have great weather & are close to the nicest beaches in Florida. Since we love the ocean, I'd prefer Clearwater & the good areas in St. Pete over Tampa, but Tampa has some really nice areas complimented by some excellent suburbs. This is all personal preference, but I wouldn't choose to move North of the Tampa area. As with all places, there are good & bad areas. You just need to do your due diligence to make sure you choose the area that fits your family best.

We have lived here since 2003 (Tampa Bay area) and love it! I also lived in Panama City as a kid (dad was military and so was DH and I).

Tampa area is great! (Other than the heavy traffic.) You have the best of city life, suburban life, beach life, etc. We have lots of professional sports teams, lots of concerts, etc. There is always some sort of festival going on within a reasonable drive.

Read the other threads that talks about property taxes, auto insurance rates, etc. As you will need to plan your budget for an increase cost in many various items. Luxury Apartments/Condo's is probably what you are looking for as far as living accommodations. I always suggest to rent for at least 6 months before you purchase, so you know what area you want. Tampa Bay area is huge and there are so many options, it is hard to decide. My son and his girlfriend have a really nice luxury apartment within 10 minutes from me, but once their lease is up, they are looking to move to St. Pete and looking at the more hipster community there (they are 26, no kids).

Can you expand on this? In what ways?
This wasnt me you quoted. But my husband and I thought about moving to Florida. I think we have pretty much decided that even though we loved our vacation that we would stay put. When you start scratching at the surface its not quite as sunny as imagined. But that was for the things that were important to US.

I wonder why they say that. I mean, I get wanting to live on the coast, though I personally wouldn’t pick the locations you mentioned. But then again, I love living in Orlando for the most part.

I’m always so confused when these threads pop up. It’s 99% warnings about how awful Florida and especially Orlando is. I’ve never sussed out if it’s actual locals saying this or how people feel after visiting. If it is locals then they either don’t want people to move here or should move themselves lol.

There are some downsides like living anywhere, but I really like it. I probably wouldn’t like living in a more touristy area. People make it seem like it’s all tourists all the time. Honestly, in my daily life I don’t really cross paths with noticeable tourists. Unless I go to Millenia or I-drive or WDW it’s not obvious that you’re in a tourist town. I wouldn’t move anywhere without a job or independent income and daily life anywhere is different from vacation. I just don’t understand how these threads are always “don’t move, it’s better where you are” there’s clearly something I’m missing!
We got these opinions from business (construction) owners that build your roads, put in your electrical gas lines etc. Mostly are our age in our mid 50's that want to come home to a nice residential area, scenic beaches, etc. We drove over to the Eastern side of Orlando and did see many new sub divisions going up, it is a booming area.

You can always move somewhere else if you hate it. Especially if you are renting and don’t have children to worry about. Florida may not turn out to be as dreamy as you think. But that’s OK too. You’re young enough to take some risks and recover if it doesn’t work out.

Don't let folks discourage you or tinkle on your dreams. Do your research and due diligence and if it's what you want then go for it!

There's lots of good info in here already, so I'll just add a few thoughts that come to mind...

I lived my first 20ish years in WNY, and have been a full-time Floridian another 20ish years after moving. I have NO regrets! I'm in the Tampa Bay area, about 5 miles from the Gulf of MX. I absolutely traded 3-4 months of hibernating from the cold for 3-4 months of hibernating from the heat, but it's a trade I'm happy to have made.

FL has several different climate zones: way up north, it can get very cold in winter but still hot in summer; mid-FL is considered sub-tropical and we don't get very cold in winter, though we have the occasional dips into the 30s, and we also get very hot in summer; and south FL stays warm year-round because cold fronts rarely reach that far south, and it, too, is very hot in summer. On top of that, inland vs. coastal can be quite different. I live on the Gulf coast on a peninsula, with the Gulf on one side and Tampa Bay on the other - this acts like a bubble in late summer, trapping heat and humidity overnight, so our "lows" rarely drop below 80. When I've visited Orlando (inland) in August/Sept, I'm always amazed by how much more comfortable the evenings and mornings feel. But Orlando also gets hotter in the day than my area and doesn't have the sea breeze I get at home. I imagine there are subtleties like this all over FL.

You mentioned wanting to be near both beach and WDW, and I want to explain how that is difficult. Like I said, I live 5 miles from the Gulf, but traffic in FL in general, and my area especially, is HORRENDOUS. Right now, in peak tourist season, it can take me 30-45 minutes to get to the beach. Then I have to find a parking space, along with thousands of others trying to do the same. Biking would be easier, but we also have a pretty ugly record of cyclist-motorist accidents. I live 4 miles from work, but it takes me 45 minutes to get home this time of year - only 15 in the off-season (summer.) I put up with it because living near the water is that important to me. If I lived inland, I'd probably never go to the beach. WDW is an hour and 20 minutes away on a good day, 4-5 hours on a very bad day. It all depends on what's happening on the Interstates. I will never, EVER again go to WDW on a Friday, in rush hour, during a thunderstorm, lol!

The threat of hurricanes is real and something you either learn to live with, or move away from. There is no part of FL immune to their destructive power. In coastal areas, storm surge and flooding can be a big problem, in addition to damaging winds. Inland, wind speeds may decrease a bit, but can still produce plenty of damage on their own and from spawning tornadoes. It's critical to know your evacuation zone and have a plan for when a storm comes along.

Those of us who moved and never looked back are willing to take the negatives because FL is so rich in beauty and warmth! Every gorgeous, warm, sunny day in February, I'm happy I made the move. :)

The Florida you see at the theme parks is NOT the real Florida. It is infested with alligators, huge man-eating snakes, giant flying cockroaches that are not afraid of the light, mosquitoes, plus drunks, perverts, you name it! So, really for your own good, come for a visit to the theme parks, spend LOTS of money, then return to your wonderful northern homes. Thank you. :smooth:

Total over exaggeration. I'd be happy if no one else moved to this area because it is becoming very crowded and the infrastructure isn't keeping up with the number of folks moving here, but that would be unfair. I moved here because of the climate, the parks and just the overall feel of Florida. I have never regretted my decision.

I have never seen a man-eating snake (except on TV). The big ones are not native to Florida and tend to be near the Everglades. I have seen smaller snakes. They don't bother you if you leave them alone.

The giant flying cockroaches are palmetto bugs. Unless you leave your doors and windows open, you won't have a problem. I'm not saying I've never had one get in my house, but only a couple times in almost 15 years. They tend to be worse if you live next to wooded areas.

Mosquitoes are bad. I will totally agree with that one. That is why I have a screen enclosure and tend to stay in after dusk.

No more drunks and perverts than any other large city. It is something you have to put up with for living in a large metropolitan area. I can honestly say that I haven't really be affected by either.

On the other hand, the climate is great. Yes, it gets hot in the summer. It gets hot elsewhere and it gets beastly cold other places. Winter here is great! Great wildlife and tons of things to do. I love it here. On the bad side, low paying jobs, high prices, terrible traffic congestion.

So, come if you must. What's one more in my paradise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter