Questions about TDR regarding DAS and scooter

sgrap

DIS Veteran
We are considering a TDR trip next spring with our friends who are currently stationed in Japan. When we do DLR, I rent an ECV because my bad knee doesn't take "Disney walking" (despite the daily miles I put on my treadmill!). Also, our teen daughter has spina bifida and is issued a DAS when we go to Disneyland (does not need or want a wheelchair). How does TDR handle those things, if at all? Thanks for any experience or insight!

Unlike in the US, in Japan, you must prove disability beyond the shadow of a doubt. That means bringing an official certificate of disability, not just a doctor’s note, so renting an ECV for bad knees would unfortunately not qualify. Because your daughter does not want or need a wheelchair, she is also unable to qualify. Visual confirmation by a CM that she can walk would be enough to render any certification useless.

What they will do is issue a modified version of their DAS which will allow you and/or your daughter to wait outside the queue. The rest of your party must wait in the standard queue & you will rejoin them when it’s time to board. All other members of your party must go through the standard queue together and cannot choose to wait with you instead.

Unlike in the US, in Japan, you must prove disability beyond the shadow of a doubt. That means bringing an official certificate of disability, not just a doctor’s note, so renting an ECV for bad knees would unfortunately not qualify. Because your daughter does not want or need a wheelchair, she is also unable to qualify. Visual confirmation by a CM that she can walk would be enough to render any certification useless.

What they will do is issue a modified version of their DAS which will allow you and/or your daughter to wait outside the queue. The rest of your party must wait in the standard queue & you will rejoin them when it’s time to board. All other members of your party must go through the standard queue together and cannot choose to wait with you instead.
Thank you! I figured it was probably quite different. Are there ECV's available to rent outside of Disney like they are in CA and FL?

Thank you! I figured it was probably quite different. Are there ECV's available to rent outside of Disney like they are in CA and FL?
I don't know about renting one outside the park. It's not big business like it is in CA/FL. You will see very few of them. There's probably a rental company or two floating around somewhere, but your best bet is to rent one when you get there. The good news about them being so rarely used is that there's always going to be one available.

In order to be allowed to use one, you need to go to a little safety demonstration & then show the CM that you can operate the vehicle as instructed. If you wanted to bring one in from outside the park, I imagine the requirements would be the same.

edit: Here's a company - http://www.marudai-fukushi.com/ They seem to have a lot of happy customers! (But I would still just get one when you arrive.)

Last edited:

Thank you! I will look into that!

Also, can Disney gift cards purchased in the USA be used at TDR?

Also, can Disney gift cards purchased in the USA be used at TDR?

No. Disney gift cards purchased in the US may only be used in the US parks/resorts, Castaway Cay, US/Canada Disney stores and Disney Cruise Line. They cannot be used in any of the non-US parks/resorts or Disney stores. The same applies to Disney Dollars issued in the US.

We just returned from 3 days at TDR. We did not see a single scooter in either park, wheelchairs only.

We just returned from 3 days at TDR. We did not see a single scooter in either park, wheelchairs only.

Same.. I wasn't sure if I was just misremembering but I was there April 8-11th and went back through my pictures. I don't even see any wheelchairs though I do remember seeing some elderly being pushed around (and had one slammed into my legs a few times at the Ghibli museum also). I also remember waiting for a wheelchair to load on the Riverboat. Seems like I didn't see any scooters.

Edit to add that I've often found myself mystified at how people in wheelchairs get around Tokyo. Whenever i need to drag heavy luggage behind me I have a heck of a time finding the elevator and many stairwells in the metro do not have escalators. Some entrances are all stairs also, and a LOT of stairs. I counted six flights at one station to get above ground! Some curbs don't have the cut outs to gently roll onto the road, amongst other issues for wheels. They have a long way to go in that regard.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!