Questions about The Baths…A Poll

What should we do in Tortola?

• We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," (the half day tour) and Mom tries to walk down with us?

• We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," and Mom sits at the "Top of the Baths" while we walk down?

• Choose another excursion entirely?

Results are only viewable after voting.

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are going on the Fantasy in April and we are so excited to see the Eastern Caribbean!

I am traveling with my Dear Mom-75, DS-17, and DD-15. The kids have really expressed their desire to see The Baths in Virgin Gorda, and truthfully, I am dying to see this as well. From what I've seen, I don't know that my mom would be able to do this. She is ambulatory and can walk all over WDW, albeit just a "little" bit slower than she used to :goodvibes, but it seems like this is more of a hike than a walk.

I guess I have a couple thoughts/questions:

1. We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," which is the half day tour and maybe (??) she can walk to the first beach with us but not climb through all the boulders so we do that and then go back to meet her back there?

2. We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," and she sits at the "Top of the Baths" where she relaxes in a lounge chair and enjoys the pool? Is this possible??

3. We choose another excursion entirely, thus disappointing my kids and myself…I have been dying to go to the Eastern Caribbean forever and it's not like I'll be back anytime soon :sad1:

Thoughts? Anyone travel with older adults and has any advice?? Thanks!

Hi all! We are going on the Fantasy in April and we are so excited to see the Eastern Caribbean!

I am traveling with my Dear Mom-75, DS-17, and DD-15. The kids have really expressed their desire to see The Baths in Virgin Gorda, and truthfully, I am dying to see this as well. From what I've seen, I don't know that my mom would be able to do this. She is ambulatory and can walk all over WDW, albeit just a "little" bit slower than she used to :goodvibes, but it seems like this is more of a hike than a walk.

I guess I have a couple thoughts/questions:

1. We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," which is the half day tour and maybe (??) she can walk to the first beach with us but not climb through all the boulders so we do that and then go back to meet her back there?

2. We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," and she sits at the "Top of the Baths" where she relaxes in a lounge chair and enjoys the pool? Is this possible??

3. We choose another excursion entirely, thus disappointing my kids and myself…I have been dying to go to the Eastern Caribbean forever and it's not like I'll be back anytime soon :sad1:

Thoughts? Anyone travel with older adults and has any advice?? Thanks!

Mom enjoys a relaxing day on the ship while you and the kids go to the Baths - is that a possible choice?

Mom enjoys a relaxing day on the ship while you and the kids go to the Baths - is that a possible choice?

I hadn't even thought of that, and I guess it could be an option but I think I'd feel bad leaving her alone on the ship. At least if she comes with us and I leave her at the restaurant, she'd be alone for maybe 2 hours since I would likely hurry and get back up to her.

Is 2 really an option? Not strenuous getting to that point? If so, I would suggest that.

I just looked up the tour, and if the tour includes the option to stay at The Top of the Baths and swim there, I would do that! I’m 71, with mobility issues. Would love to see it.

I don't even know :P Does anyone else know?
I am on the phone with DCL. YOU CAN DEFINITELY stay there. I am trying to find out if you can swim, and if so, does it cost? If so how much.
The CM had to put in a request for research on the question. I will be contacted within a week to learn if you are able to stay and swim ( cost or not and how much) at the resort at the top. When I find out, I will post.

Last edited:

Thanks for asking this. We're trying to figure out how to go about this for our cruise in March. My MIL is 77 and definitely won't be able to do the hike.

I am on the phone with DCL. YOU CAN DEFINITELY stay there. I am trying to find out if you can swim, and if so, does it cost? If so how much.
The CM had to put in a request for research on the question. I will be contacted within a week to learn if you are able to stay and swim ( cost or not and how much) at the resort at the top. When I find out, I will post.

Wow, thanks! Never even occurred to me to call DCL…I just assumed someone from the Dis would know :rotfl2:

Let us know what you learn!

I hadn't even thought of that, and I guess it could be an option but I think I'd feel bad leaving her alone on the ship. At least if she comes with us and I leave her at the restaurant, she'd be alone for maybe 2 hours since I would likely hurry and get back up to her.
Have you asked her? Give her the choice - most likely between staying onboard or staying at the top of the baths. You don't know, she could opt to accompany you.

When we traveled with my mother, I always asked for her input as to activities.

Have you considered a day sail, where you swim in to the beach instead of approach via land? Aristocat and other companies do it this way.

I am assuming that she is still floatable, as swimming is so often easier on joints.

FYI, I don't think option 1 is really an option. Getting down to either beach was quite a hike. Not terribly strenuous for someone that is used to doing that type of activity but definitely requires full mobility with uneven ground and some steep elevation changes.

Have you asked her? Give her the choice - most likely between staying onboard or staying at the top of the baths. You don't know, she could opt to accompany you.

When we traveled with my mother, I always asked for her input as to activities.

Yes, we watch youtube videos together and talk about what we'd like to do. I don't think leaving her on the ship is an option, as I think she'd really like to get off and see some of the island. I was kind of hoping to hear from people who have done this excursion and know how strenuous it is.

Have you considered a day sail, where you swim in to the beach instead of approach via land? Aristocat and other companies do it this way.

I am assuming that she is still floatable, as swimming is so often easier on joints.

Thanks, this is the first I am hearing of this and it sounds interesting. Unfortunately, she's not much of a swimmer. How far would the swim be from the boat to the shore?

FYI, I don't think option 1 is really an option. Getting down to either beach was quite a hike. Not terribly strenuous for someone that is used to doing that type of activity but definitely requires full mobility with uneven ground and some steep elevation changes.

Oh, wow, really? This is the kind of information I need to help make the decision. Thanks :-)

Oh, wow, really? This is the kind of information I need to help make the decision. Thanks :-)
We were just there in October so let me know if you have any specific questions. I know recent information is hard to come by!

The restaurant and shop were all right there at the parking lot so she should be okay there if you decide option 2. I have no idea if a purchase is required to use the pool.

Another FYI - the ferry ride over to Virgin Gorda was not a smooth pleasure cruise. It was a fast catamaran and was a little bumpy. There were seats, though. I don't know if this is an issue for her or not and it's definitely dependent on the weather that day. We did not book a direct excursion and took Speedy's ferry instead.

We've done the baths at Virgin Gorda. For frame of reference, I am a healthy & active young 40's adult. Two years ago there were parts of this excursion that were tight, slippery and very wet. I was fine, but I saw people who were not comfortable mid way and had turned around to go back the other way. It's quite a trek (both to and fro) to get to the baths themselves from transportation.

If your mom were my mom, this is what I'd suggest:
I think that your mom might enjoy the ship more than going on the excursion with you. I would also not want my child under maybe... 12?... doing this excursion. While it's beautiful, it's a bit dangerous. Additionally the ferry ride is long and somewhat loud. I'd suggest a spa day for my mom.

I totally recommend the Baths at Virgin Gorda - it was our absolute best excursion we've ever done out of 4 Caribbean cruises. Our boys were 9 and 7 at the time and had no issues. In fact, we had to scramble to keep up with them! They loved the ropes and ladders and climbing over and under rocks. So incredibly beautiful.

We took the Aristocat Catamaran over - great hosts and so accommodating. Very enjoyable sail and included a snorkel stop and lunch. When we got to the beach at Virgin Gorda the adults swam over and the aristocrat people actually took the kids back and forth with the paddle board they had. Kids loved it. It was a very full day. I would totally do it again!

[QUOTE="buzzrelly, post: 59934283, member: 101072

Thanks, this is the first I am hearing of this and it sounds interesting. Unfortunately, she's not much of a swimmer. How far would the swim be from the boat to the shore?[/QUOTE]

I'm so bad with distances. I'm not a great swimmer but you are so buoyant in the water it wasn't a problem. You could also get a snorkel vest from the boat if you're nervous. I want to say 75m? But don't quote me- really rough estimate!!!

I agree on this description of the hiking. We just went in October with my 62 year old Mom who is not in the best shape, but she really wanted to do it. My husband and sister had to help her up and down in many spots (I was ahead trying to slow down the excited kids). I don't think my mom could've made it without help. And she was VERY winded after the hike back up. She said it was worth it though.

When you're at the top, the path to the left is somewhat easier, in that it's more hiking in a forest than climbing over rocks like the other path. Maybe your mom could manage that path easier both ways? She would probably still need help in the steep parts.

As for kids, my kids are 8 and 11 and had no trouble at all. The 11 year old even did most of the rock climbing part barefoot! The rest of us wore water hiking shoes, which worked great for us.

I went a few years ago when my kids were 11 and 8 and we really enjoyed it. But I would definitely say going through the rocks is out - lots of bending, climbing, practically crawling at times. And the path up and down is VERY uneven. I would be concerned she might fall. We saw people who arrived by boat, but I don't think it is that easy to get in and out of the boat, so if you could do that and she stay on the boat and relax while everyone else swam into shore, went through the rocks, and met at the other side. I suspect those excursions are much more expensive though. Honestly, even swimming in the ocean their had some rough spots, especially since there were rocks on the beach and in the water you could get knocked into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!