Questions about using points outside home resort?

AndyTwoLines

Earning My Ears
I am in the beginning process of finding our home resort. With so many options with resorts and the prices. I have been looking into Hilton Head, but with purchasing there how hard is it use points at WDW within the 7 months booking window? Has anyone had problems with booking a vacation?
Thank you,

It widely depends on when you travel and what type of room you desire. Always stay in 1 bedrooms in September and are flexible with your view type? You'll have little issue at 7-months. Want a standard view studio in a popular month? Then it becomes nearly impossible.

Also while Vero and Hilton Head seem like a great deal do to the low point cost, make sure you pay close attention to the cost of their yearly dues(very high) and the contract expiation date, which is 2042.

Many consider AKL and SSR to be the real true values even though their resale point coast are much higher than Vero and Hilton head due to relatively lower price point, contract expiration dates, ability to book at WDW at 11 months when needed, and relatively lower yearly dues.

I really like HH, and we mostly use our HH points to stay there.

If you plan to use your DVC Points anytime from September through the first week in January to stay in WDW I would not buy HH points to do that. You may not even be able to book a full week without moving at 7 months, especially if you wanted a studio.

Thank you, yeah I didn’t even see what the annual dues were there. Yeah that was what I was thinking is just for a one bedroom. We are flexible with when we could go.

Thank you, that’s good info. We just have family that go to Hilton Head ever year and we’re trying to have the best of both worlds. But knowing this we will have to rethink and just buy at WDW.

Thank you, that’s good info. We just have family that go to Hilton Head ever year and we’re trying to have the best of both worlds. But knowing this we will have to rethink and just buy at WDW.

I think if you plan on staying at HH regularly, just want to use the points at WDW at 7 month on occasion(especially for non-studios), and your flexible with your WDW dates HH can still be a great deal.

Well that promising, that always been my worry that we purchase it and would be unable to book anything.

Here is what I have seen. With the exception of a few really popular dates...early a December, New Years Eve, something is almost always available at WDW.

Here is the catch..it may not be the room size you want, it may not be for more than one night, or may require you multiple switches to get the number of days you want.

If you are flexible in travel times, and looking at 1 bedrooms, then you have a much better chance for sure. SSR, OKW, and AKV...due to size...are the ones that are more frequently available.

But, owning at HH will always lock you in to 7 month bookings. That means that If you ever did want to travel during fall or popular times, you won’t even be able to lock anything in. To me, that is the risky part and I would t buy a non WDW resort if the bulk of trips will be at WDW.

That’s very true. My other option was OKW. I will look into that more. I would probably only book
A one bedroom, I would rather have some extra space.

You can buy OKW 2057 resale which gives you longevity though you may need to stalk the resale websites with patience to get one. Contracts aren't that expensive compared to 2042 and will always get you on property with the option to switch around at 7 months if you can. I always factor in the potential to sell if necessary and 2057 will hold value much longer. I doubt you will ever regret going this direction.

The dues can be very high at Hilton Head. I would buy where you think you would want to stay the most. AKL and SSR are usually available. At the 7 month window

I would definitely like OKW especially with a year of 2057, i didn’t know they had a use year till 2057 for some. thanks mickimini I’ll keep my eye out.

Mid-Sept to Mid-Jan it can be very hard to book WDW at seven months out. If you like HHI, it can be hard to book there during the summer months at seven months out. Buy where you like the stay the most and plan on booking that at 11 months out. Then at seven months out, see what else is available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!