Questions from a mom

LynneDurham

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

We're going to WDW for the second time in January. My kids are 16 and 15. We're staying at All-Star Music. We've been there once before, two years ago.

How old were you when your parents let you do a lot of roaming yourself throughout the parks? When did they allow you to use Disney transportation by yourself? Did they set any areas as "off-limits" to you as a teen?

Last time we went, they were old enough to roam the hotel grounds without us, but I'm sure this time they'll want to be roaming the parks without us, so I'm looking for input.

Thanks for your help!

Lynne

Lets see... my parents let us roam the second time we went which was in '95... I guess that would make me... 12 during the summer. We stayed at Dixi Landings. They would let us do what we wanted during the day usually, but we'd have to meet them for dinner or sometimes lunch. I wandered with my four cousins. One was 13, two were 12, and one was probably 9 or so. We felt extremely safe and never got lost. The Disney transportation was wonderful. We went everywhere, including Ft. Wilderness to ride the water sprites (I think they have a new name now). When we went last year we didn't stay on property, but my parents still let my 15 year old sister take her two younger cousins around by herself. One thing I would highly reccomend is get walkie talkies. Not the toy ones, but nice ones. We got "Talkabouts" and they were great! They aren't all tha expensive either. It's worth the investment. If you stay in the same park you can talk on them anywhere. They were very handy. One person would go get seats at a show and then when the rest of us showed up we'd use the talkies to guide us. We even used them in the two cars if we got separated. Lots of other poeple have also caught on to this idea. It's really great. It gives the kids freedom, but you can also keep track of them easily. Well, that's my advice! Have fun!

"The magic is as wide
as a smile and as
narrow as a wink, loud
as laughter and quiet
as a tear, tall as a tale
and deep as emotion.
So strong, it can lift the
spirit. So gentle, it can
touch the heart. It is the
magic that begins the
happily ever after."
THAT is Disney! ;-)

three weeks ago when i went to WDW my parents let me do whatever i wanted during the day i just had to be back to the hotel by 8:00 and i am 13

See you later.
Morgan
mic-min01a.gif

Hi
My sister and I walked around this past Christmas. ( I am 13 and she is 18) I am sure we would have been allowed to walk around in past trips,but we have preferred to stay with our parents. I would also recommend walkie talkies. We stayed at all star music to and loved it. The refillable mugs are great. We had two and didnt have to buy hardly any drinks at all! I hope you have a great time in WDW and if you have any more questions be sure to post them...we will be glad to answer!
Jenn :)

ballerina.gif

It was this summer when I was 13...I was by myself and was in Epcot for about like an hour or so.It was so much fun!! My Mom says when we go in 2002 I will be able to go off by myself even more(ill be 15 then)

Disney vacations-
3/96-DxL(8 days)
9/97-WL(9 days)
9/98-FWC(9 days)
9/99-WL(9 days)
6/00-PO/CR(16 days!!!)
12/00-DL(1st time!!) Fairfield Inn(3 days)
Upcoming trips-
12/01 DL
6/02 WDW!
REMEMBER-It all started with a mouse!!!
tvmickey.gif

I'm 15 and my parents are letting me and my friend (16) to roam the parks and use the transportation when we go in march. before we go we are meeting to decide what places we can go to alone. we are also getting 2 way radios so we can stay in touch. just meet and decide where they can go alone.

I thought this was an interesting topic. How old were you?

I've wandered around Epcot with my sister. But I've never been around WDW by myself. Family time in my opinion. I know Norah went when she was 15 with her friend once. ;)

i know my parents used me to run around the parks to get fast pass. I did once go on Mission Space once on my own, but the ride closed because of the death. Most of the time i was with my parents though i turned 15 while i was there

when i go in december cass and i will b able 2 go places by ourselves in the parks (we r both 13) .My brother and i have been able to go around the hotel since i was 10 or 11 and he was 9 or 10. :)

Well I wish I could be of more help, but sence when we usually go it's just me and my mom, I never really wander.

Last year when we made a December trip, my mom let me go off with my friends. I was 13, but she would not let me go alone before that time. I wore a watch, and she'd make me check up with her at the hotel. We'd take the monorail back and just let her know our plans, what we did, and what time to meet back. My mom had really no "Off Limits" area for us to go to. We could go to the parks, Downtown Disney, where-ever. Just so she knew what we were up to in advance, she was fine with it. The only thing I guess she did not want me doing is going and charging any huge meal or running around other hotels. She also did not permit me to go to any waterparks because she didn't want me to go swimming by myself with just friends.

That's about it!

Last year when i was.....13 for like a few hours by myself .....only disney transport i went on by myself was the boat to mgm *shrugs*

If your children are 15 and 16 i'm sure they will be find going round Disney by themselves and using the transport. My sister is 16 and she's taking a trip to Disneyland in December with her boyfriend who is a few years older than her - no parents or anything and we're sure she'll be fine beause she's mature enough.

Donna
xxx

This summer I am going with my mom and my friend I will be turning 16 while I am there and she will be 15 and my mom said we could do whatever we wanted durning the day but we had to be with her at night, but thats ok cuz then she can pay for our dinners. And we have to have our cell phones on at all times.

walkie talkies are a good idea; there are just 2 things you should realize- walkie talkies usually only work within a 2 mile range, so if you are planning on being in different parks, then you might have problems with a signal and also, when we went to disney last time we had walkie talkies, there were so many other people there that also had them, we had a lot of trouble with interference. This one time my mom was talking to this girl over the walkie talkie and she thought it was me LOL!

On my last trip to WDW (Feb '05) My parents let me and my sisters roam around the parks alone! (it was awesome! :D) Anyways I was 13 and my two other sisters were 15 and 11. We had no "off-limit" Areas it's just they wanted us to all meet to eat or if we all wanted to go on a ride all together to contact them by cell phone. It was fun I could finally do whatever I wanted when ever I wanted. :)

WDWfanatic288 said:
It was this summer when I was 13...I was by myself and was in Epcot for about like an hour or so.It was so much fun!! My Mom says when we go in 2002 I will be able to go off by myself even more(ill be 15 then)

Disney vacations-
3/96-DxL(8 days)
9/97-WL(9 days)
9/98-FWC(9 days)
9/99-WL(9 days)
6/00-PO/CR(16 days!!!)
12/00-DL(1st time!!) Fairfield Inn(3 days)
Upcoming trips-
12/01 DL
6/02 WDW!
REMEMBER-It all started with a mouse!!!
tvmickey.gif

Huh? 2002? 2002 has already passed how can you go next time in '02? lol That was a bit awkward...... :confused3

OMG! How DUMB am I? Sorry i'm a blonde....I didn't notice how OLD this topic was lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm like the first to post in years o_O that's scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter