Questions on Christmas/New Years

lizanne

DIS Veteran
I posted this question on another board, but I am a DVC member and wanted to ask on this forum because all of you are so knowledgeable.

I never paid much attention to what goes on at WDW during Christmas and New Years because my husband is a Christmas Freak and he MUST BE HOME for the holidays.

I can't believe it........today he asked me to call and make ressies from Dec 26th to the 2nd of Jan. I've always wanted to go between Thanksgiving and Christmas but I'll take what I can get.

Can someone out there let me know if there are still things to do during that time and what I should know about anything you might need reservations for in advance. I know about dining and the shows that are available all year round. What I'm looking for are things that are particular to this time year--or is everything over except for New Years Eve celebrations.

Thanks for whatever info you can share.

Betty Anne

One thing I would recommend trying is the Osborne Festival of Lights at the Studios...

Very very cool... I was amazed last year at their display, and it'll definately put you in the holiday spirit..

The other thing I'd have to recommend is Mickey's Very Merry X-Mas Party at the MK... With the park staying open late, my buddy and I were able to ride Splash Mountain four consecutive times without getting off the...

The fireworks were awesome, as was the Christmas parade.

i just went this christmas..and it was awesome!!! If you want ressies..def. make them new years eve..this year it rained alllll night long, which led to long dinner lines and we got pretty much right in..and prepare for the weather, it was nice except for when it was raining, but a little chilly in the morning. Its pretty busy during the holidays and ressies are a must for any restuaurant sit down. You'll understnad what I mean, when you can beat the lines..I suggest making them as soon as you hit 60 days till. I would check out MVMCP..i didnt get to go, but still great..If you have any questions PM me, I'll be glad to answer!

Can someone out there let me know if there are still things to do during that time

WDW is in full-swing Christmas/NYE week. There is so much to do, you don't have to do the "regular" rides etc. The only holiday event that doesn't happen is the MVMCP...this ends when the real holiday season begins. Deb's site will give you the details....Osborne Lights, Candlelight Processional and NYE itself are highlights not to be missed. It is a VERY busy time.

Last year we were there 12/29/1/04 and it was great. We got to see the last night of Candlelight Processional at Epcot with Jodi Benson as narrator(Ariel)..it was amazing! Did the dinner package at Le Cellier..yummy. All the decorations and events are still happening except MVMVP. Caught quite a few Christmas shows (Tomorrowland). Only really crazy corwds were NYeve at Epcot. We just made ressies for same time this year.
Connears

We were there last year 12/23 -12/27,it was a blast. Lots of fun stuff to do. Parks have very long hours, try to take advantage of EE if you can. Parks will be very very busy, so best advise is to take it slow, enjoy the decorations, and have fun. Make your PS as soon as you can, they will fill up quickly if you don't you will end up eating at 4 or 9 PM. Last year we added a day to our trip and the only PS I could get at the MK was for 9 PM.
We are headed back to WDW 12/28 -1/2 See you there.

I was there this past holiday Dec. 28-Jan. 4. The crowds were pretty huge, as expected. But we made full use of EE, fast passes, and the late evening hours. We always took a break back at the resort for several hours in the afternoon (swimming, laying around, whatever), and that helped us last long into the evening. We were able to manage the crowds really quite well, and saw/did all we wanted to (sometimes more than once).

We loved all the Christmas decorations, especially the Osborne Lights at MGM. We did not go to parks on NYE or NYD. Instead we enjoyed the Boardwalk area, DD, and some resort-hopping. By Jan. 2 and 3, the crowds were already a little smaller.

Going back for the same time period this year. Who knows, maybe we'll see you there. :D

Travelbug, We will be at WDW this NYE what did you do to bring in the New Year? It will 4 adults and 2 children 11 & 7
Thanks See you there

Hi, dvcguy! Well, our group was two adults (my sister and me) and our two 17-year-ol nieces. We were staying at BWV, and had decided to eat dinner at Cape May over at BCV. That was an awesome meal. Then we were going to just hang around the Boardwalk and see what street entertainment was going on, maybe have drinks at Big River Grille or ESPN, and then watch the midnight fireworks at Epcot.

But it started pouring rain, and I do mean pouring! :( The rain went on and on. So there was nothing going on out on the Boardwalk, although a couple of the acts moved into the BWV lobby. We wound up staying in our room nice and dry, watching TV which we hadn't done up to that point, enjoying some special snacks we'd bought for that night, and then catching the Epcot fireworks from our balcony. The fireworks still were on even though it was still raining buckets by midnight.

Probably not too exciting for some people, but we decided it was a great evening for us. :D

This year, I'll be down there with my sister, BIL, nephew (13), and nieces (7 and 4). We will probably do something similar, except that the nieces will most likely be tucked in bed while the rest of us celebrate in the other room. (We're staying in a 2 BR.) The thought of wall-to-wall people inside one of the parks on NYE doesn't appeal to us. But lots of people DO enjoy that, so we'll help them by being elsewhere and celebrating more on our own. ;)

See you there! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter