Questions on purchasing 1st contract

Gnat1000

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I've been reading a lot and doing research but still have a ton of questions.

I was going to try and buy direct at either Copper Creek or Bay Lake Towers (assuming they have 150 points available).

I wanted to buy direct to get the perks of DVC while also being able to use my points at future DVC resorts.
1. Would the price points for those locations be similar to Riviera?
2. Are there any benefits that I'm missing from not buying at Riviera?
3. If I read correctly, If I buy direct for Bay lake and then by more points resale, I'll only be able to combine those points on a reservation until 7 months out?
4. Is there any resources outside of Disney that I could call and get some further insight into buying direct or resale?

Thanks everyone for your help!

1. Would the price points for those locations be similar to Riviera?
Riviera - $188 a point (soon to go up to $195 probably), at 150 you'll get like $500 in incentives
CCV - $210 a point, no incentives
BLT - $235 a point, no incentives

CCV does have a cheaper points per night value so even with it's higher initial cost could potentially be cheaper because of that. Though be aware that CCV studios are hard to get. Also BLT and Riviera are similar in Point Costs with Riviera being more though when you consider more rooms are prescribed to the more expensive view than at BLT
2. Are there any benefits that I'm missing from not buying at Riviera?
With buying direct you aren't missing anything. It's really about the 11 month window vs 7 months. One thing you could miss out on is if you travel the same week every year is with Riviera they will sell you a GW for a small premium (10%) they guarantee you a room that week. Some people are buying this to hedge against seasonal shifting in points and to guarantee a standard view which is cheaper point wise then having to buy enough points to cover a preferred view.
3. If I read correctly, If I buy direct for Bay lake and then by more points resale, I'll only be able to combine those points on a reservation until 7 months out?
So points at the same resort in the same UY can be combined at any point easily online (different UY are a bit trickier and require a transfer and call to MS to use the points in a single transaction). Points at different resorts in the same UY can't be combined until 7 months (again the different UY is trickier and same situation as before). You get one transfer in or out per UY.

So you could buy 150 direct at BLT and 150 resale at BLT. Here all 300 could be combined at 11 months for BLT and any resort at 7 months. Though only the 150 direct will work at Riviera and any new resort. Though this does beg the question why 150 points, why not the minimum of 100 required to get full perks? You then have 100 points useful at any resort and get the rest much cheaper.
4. Is there any resources outside of Disney that I could call and get some further insight into buying direct or resale?
There are a number of large DVC Resale brokers that will gladly help. Though many users on the DIS will chime in I'm sure shortly.

The biggest advice is only buy where you want to stay, don't go direct for FOMO exclusively back that up with some financial analysis too (you can put a value on staying at Riviera essentially at the cost of renting points to stay there then renting your points out), and realize you only need 100 for the blue card perks. Also points maintain their eligibility so only direct points can be used at Riviera if from another resort (L14).

Buy where you want to stay is correct buying based on money per point may be that one regret in life.

All the resorts have a certain something for a certain person so just make sure you're that certain person.

Do not miss out because other people post negatives of things they have never experienced ever.

Buy what you feel is right for you and your family if you have one. Don't buy what you can afford buy what you think is a good deal.

Do not let people talk you out of buying direct vs resale buy what you feel is right for you.

There are a lot of people here that will hammer home why you should follow their way of thinking and buying Disney. Never let people drive your decisions ever buy with the information and let it guide you but make your choices on your own.

We bought BLT resale. Just our way of thinking - might be some things you'll want to consider;
- We ruled out CCV because the 1 br's only sleep 4 (we are a family of 5)
- We ruled out RIV because the point charts are MUCH higher at RIV

I'm also trying to be a first time buyer too (contract in ROFR). I'm going the resale route first at BLT and plan to look at my direct purchase options later this year. I went this route since I can quickly add direct points on the same use year for my own sanity. I don't know how you guys keep up with those multiple UY contracts (I know it can be done 😁).

If you are interested in BLT I would recommend truly researching direct benefits and their value to you, as the cost difference to resale is pretty solid.

While I think that having membership perks, especially the AP discount, can be worth it, buying at the more expensive sold out resorts like BLT or CCV, makes the cost difference much harder to justify over resale,

IMO, unless you want to own RIV,...then I’d only consider buying the minimum at BLT or CCV..100 points...and add the rest resale,

Yes, those resale points won’t be eligible for future resorts or staying at RIV , but what you would save buying the bulk of your BLT or CCV resale now could be saved to add on more direct points later at Reflections if it becomes a resort of interest,

Just checked - you are saving $50-80 per point on BLT at resale. That is a healthy piece of $$, compounded if you are thinking of financing (which I generally don't recommend, but people do it - rates are high, and you should account for that expense if you're making financial justifications on either benefits or break-even vs. hotel stays).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter