Questions re: viewing space shuttle launch from hotel

Alaska

Earning My Ears
I have a little boy that uses a wheelchair and a lot of medical equipment. From the other posts I have read on this board, it sounds as though increased security at KSC might make it very difficult for us to tour the space center, let alone watch the launch. Has anyone ever viewed any of the space shuttle launches from a hotel near KSC? If so, which hotel(s)? Any recommendations?

It is very difficult for us to travel because of the medical equipment we must bring along and the length of time it takes to get anywhere from Alaska, so we may not have another opportunity to see a space shuttle launch anywhere but on T.V. On the other hand, I do not have the heart to put my son through anymore abuse due to his mobility difficulties. Today we were harrassed by the House Manager at the Performing Arts Center in Anchorage because we did not arrive early for the dress rehearsal of the Miami City Ballet because the bus which took our son on his school field trip parked too close to the curb and we were stuck on the bus until it was maneuvered into a place that was not too close to a curb when the wheelchair lift was lowered. This happened despite my several telephone calls in advance to the coordinator, the bus service and the school district, to try to ensure everything ran smoothly. Consequently, I am hoping to weigh all the options re: the launch.

Well, I can help you a little bit, I guess. My teens and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Titusville in Augst for 3 nites. During that time, we spent time around the space coast area waiting for the shuttle lunch on 8/9. We spent a whole day at the KSC, had a great time, and from what I remember it was handicap friendly.

We watched the shuttle lunch from the 2nd floor walkway of the Holiday Inn. You have a direct view of the shuttled launch pads from the hotel (about 7 miles away and as close as your going to get off KSC property). There are other areas in Titusville you can watch the launch from too.

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn. It is very clean, the staff is friendly, not fancy but nice. There are two floors, you can get a first floor room overlooking the Indian River which would be great for your situation.

The exit to KSC is about a mile from the hotel. Take the exit to the bridge over the river, 5 miles and you're at KSC.

Visit the ksc.com website for more info.I think the holday inn has their own website, too.

Thanks. You gave me exactly the info I was hoping for. I really appreciate your help.

I agree with the above poster - one of the best places to view a shuttle launch is from the Holiday Inn, which is located on the river, directly across from the Space Shuttle launch pads.

They do have a website which you can check out - I think you will find more information there:

Holiday Inn Kennedy Space Center

Also, I dont think you need to get a room overlooking the River as it is naturally more expensive. You can get any room, and when time comes to watch the launch, everyone congregates in the riverfront area to watch. It's a lot of fun!

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter