questions

Jeniferdwn

DIS Veteran
I have a couple of questions. When you are doing a group of photos like for a vacation, do you label and journal for every picture? for example, my dd takes hundreds of photos, so if we have like 50 different scenic shots, do you just put them on pages and let that be it or do you try to label every pic? I do try to label the pics I want to remember specifically, but not every single pic. And maybe on the first page of scenic pics, i will label something like "pics from all over the mountains" and then let the other pages follow. Any other suggestions?
Also for pics of our animals. would it be ok to label a page "pics of Chia (or Chloe or Holley Rose or Bailey)" Or if the pics are in the dog scrapbook would i really have to put the name on the pages? Could I just do something like pages that I keep adding to? unless its a specific event or something? We have 4 dogs, would you put each dogs pics on a separate page or would you just mix them all together? I've been doing the same way for so many years, but I wonder how others do it and if there was better ways to do my books.
I guess I'm just overwhelmed by the number of pics we have and just look for new ideas at times.

To me, a scrapbook page seems naked without some words. Most of my pages have some sort of journaling, some quite extensive. But ultimately your scrapbook should be whatever you want it to be.

I also don't feel compelled to include all of my shots. If you include all of them with no words, then it's more of a photo album than a scrapbook (IMO).

Click expand to see my answer to your first question:

I have a couple of questions. When you are doing a group of photos like for a vacation, do you label and journal for every picture? for example, my dd takes hundreds of photos, so if we have like 50 different scenic shots, do you just put them on pages and let that be it or do you try to label every pic? I do try to label the pics I want to remember specifically, but not every single pic. And maybe on the first page of scenic pics, i will label something like "pics from all over the mountains" and then let the other pages follow. Any other suggestions?

Please keep in mind there is no right or wrong way to scrapbook... with that being said... I don't journal about every single photo.. especially if they are scenery photos unless of course it has very special meaning.. For instance when we are at the state park I may journal more about the area and specifically the information about for instance: We have an area called Sunset Point at one of our parks.. while walking the trail I snap photos but I title and journal specifically about Sunset point and on a few I have noted about the history of that area.

Then at another one of our state parks their is the lower falls and upper falls.. it got 2-4 separate double page LOs in my family book...but in the kids' life albums it was all combined into a double page LO w/ journaling.

Does that make sense?

Also for pics of our animals. would it be ok to label a page "pics of Chia (or Chloe or Holley Rose or Bailey)" Or if the pics are in the dog scrapbook would i really have to put the name on the pages? Could I just do something like pages that I keep adding to? unless its a specific event or something? We have 4 dogs, would you put each dogs pics on a separate page or would you just mix them all together? I've been doing the same way for so many years, but I wonder how others do it and if there was better ways to do my books.
I guess I'm just overwhelmed by the number of pics we have and just look for new ideas at times.

We don't have any animals at home..but if we did.. each of them would have their own books so I wouldn't have to title or label them on every page but could tell the story of the photos if they weren't self explanatory.. (just like my kids)... but in my family album I would definitely label the photos so that your guest can put a name to the animal. With all that being said, I do label our 4-H animals because some of them look a lot of like.. think goats.. we showed 3 goats last year...and it's only their markings that distinguished them from one another. So in the kids' 4-H books each photo was labeled even though they were on the same page unless of course I was scrapping about their specific time in the ring for their show (they were all in different divisions).

But I'm not the best source for information because I scrap everything.. I have such a hard time pairing things done to small layouts. The park with the waterfalls is scrapped in over 10 LOs I believe.... and I think my son's book (as he was the only one who went because the others were away at college) I believe has 4-5 LOs. I wanted to scrap every moment because we had never been their before..

My Disney trips are 4-6 books a trip! I'm an over-scrapper and I'm okay with that...

I do what you do! If I have a lot of scenic shots and want to scrap many of them, I would put a basic label like "Various Views of Niagara Falls taken on this...(date, trip, stop, etc.). I don't try to label each photo unless it showed some unique or significant on the trip.

When I did a kitty scrapbook (we had two), I did label some pages by cat or by cat and activity (i.e. lots of napping shots, hahaha!) instead of labeling each picture.

It's really what you want to do, what makes you happy and what you want (and others) to recall or remember - there is no right or wrong way :)

Thanks for all the responses.
mom2rtk -- I thought the same thing, that it is kind of like a photobook, but since I don't do actual photo books any more and only do scrapbooks, I thought it maybe could double as both. I am very OCD and have a hard time not including all of the "good" shots. I dont use blurred or bad shots. And I guess now that I think about it, I do at least have the name of the animal or kid that is on the page or the location of the scenes.

PrincessNancy and Poppins2000 -- seems like we all think similar. Thanks for letting me know I'm not doing something absolutely crazy! I guess sometimes it helps to just hear someone else say, yep, i do the same thing or I do it similar.

I have to admit that on my hard drive, I have over 53,000 photos. My daughter took over 1300 photos on our vacation last year and its the same place we go every single year. (But it's also somewhere we love enough to cry when we leave, we have a long time plan to move there and I have it tattooed on my arm, hubby has an appoinment to get his tattoo and dd will get her tattoo on the day she turns 18!) She has slowed down a good bit since she has other things (or someone other) to take up her time. She is on vacation with her boyfriend in Florida right now and SHE DIDN'T TAKE HER CAMERA!!! Lol!!!
sorry to ramble on, I'm just bored with both kids gone all week!

I do both, plus! I like to journal not only what some photos are but the background (history, significance or whatever). I will also do layouts of just photos - little or no wording - if it is pretty explanatory on its own (photos of landscape when on train in Alaska, etc!). I also put photo sleeves in my scrapbook albums with extra photos that are not worthy of a whole layout (or more of what I already have on a layout), but don't want to leave out of the album! KWIM??!!

I am terrible at labeling and journaling. I'm trying to at least add names of who I was with in photos so I will remember and if photos aren't self explanatory I will try to label/journal. Otherwise if I start and have a title page for where I was, I won't label everything else as being there, I just assume you'd be able to figure that out from the flow of the book.

I too get overwhelmed with the number of pictures I take and have available to scrapbook! I have a hard enough time winnowing down a trip's pictures for uploading to SmugMug!
Currently I'm scrapbooking our 15 Disney trips. Sifting through pics from 1979 through 2002 (pre-digital) isn't too bad but I am dreading the years after that....:faint: where I took thousands of pictures. I really need to be more selective picking only 6 - 8 shots for a two-page spread on say the Magic Kingdom in 2006; none of which will be individually labeled.

My Disney scrapbook pages are pretty much thematic by park or event and I don't label individual pics unless the person or place is obscure or won't be known to DS who will someday inherit it all. Other scrapbooks of trips such as our big 2000 trip out west have almost every scene identified.

And as everyone above has mentioned; each scrapbook is your creation alone. It reflects what you want to say!

I do both, plus! I like to journal not only what some photos are but the background (history, significance or whatever). I will also do layouts of just photos - little or no wording - if it is pretty explanatory on its own (photos of landscape when on train in Alaska, etc!). I also put photo sleeves in my scrapbook albums with extra photos that are not worthy of a whole layout (or more of what I already have on a layout), but don't want to leave out of the album! KWIM??!!

I too have added photo sleeve pages to my Disney album for pics taken by my Dad on a trip he took with friends. They are great pre-digital Electrical Parade shots.

And because I have many extra pictures from some trips back in the '90s I have them in a separate album in photo sleeves. I may do something with them at a later time but at least they are organized and preserved for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter