Questions

stink

DIS Veteran
I will be traveling with a friend to WDW (he is a parapalegic can transfer himself). I have been to WDW many times, this is my friends' first trip. I have read and referred my friend to different sites with info on WDW with disAbilities. I have the following questions ?

There are viewing area set up for parades & fireworks. Do they fill up fast ? Do you need some sort of pass for the area ? Are there viewing areas for the street performers in EPCOT ?

Buses & boats - I have read not all buses are equipped with lifts and at times you may have to just wait until a bus comes through. We had planned to use WDW transportation exclussively. Would we be better off renting a car ?

Any other tips/ knowledge are much appreciated.

I'm a paraplegic who's been to WDW many times. I realize we all have different needs but I'll be happy to answer the questions as best I can. If your friend has any other questions about rides, the parks or anything feel free to ask here or email me at billsears@comcast.net.

Wheelchair seating at parades and certain fireworks shows are first come first served. Depending on what time of year you're going you may have a problem or you may not. I usually get there about 30 minutes ahead of time and I've never been turned away. However during a real busy season it can get very crowded in these sections. Your wheelchair is enough of a pass for these areas.

I've never seen special viewing areas for street performers. Since they aren't usually roped off ahead of time it would be hard for Disney to arrange reserved areas. I just try to get there as soon as I see them setting up, or I wait at the edges of the crowd and as people leave I move closer. Since it's EPCOT you're asking about you can get the schedule ahead of time. So just show up early and grab a spot that looks like it will have a good view.

Buses...well personally I've decided I'd rather drive. Buses are great at WDW but a couple of bad experiences have made me decide not to depend on them. I guess I have a low threshold for the waits for busses. I'd rather be in control of my own transportation. I haven't seen any non wheelchair lift equipped buses recently. I think my main problem is with the wait, it always seems to be a 20-30 minute wait for the bus to get there. In that amount I time I can drive myself to the parks and get to the gate before I would have been able to get on the bus. I also have been worried about how crowded the buses are getting. If you aren't at the first stop for boarding I'd be worried about having the space to load the wheelchair.

The majority of the busses have lifts/ramps. A bus can hold 2 w/c or ECVs. We have had a few problems with broken lifts but a special bus was dispatched for us. There are viewing areas for parades but not for the street performers.They do fill up. You don't need a pass if you are using a w/c or ECV. We usually find a spot on our own. We use WDW transportation exclusively.
There was a thread about calling the front desk to arrange for transportation if you have a problem. I haven't done this but it appears to be an option.

Originally posted by BillSears
If you aren't at the first stop for boarding I'd be worried about having the space to load the wheelchair.

If you are in a chair, you go to the front of the line or otherwise position yourself so the driver can see you as he approaches. I always raise my hand to make it clear I want to board, then make my way to the back door to board. Drivers always keep the front doors closed while they board the wheelchair (s) and only let everyone else board once the wheelchair is loaded and tied down.

Andrew

we always use WDW buses and don't mind the wait, after all we are on vacation so we take our time. as far as bording them do not get in line with everyone else. go to the back of the bus where the back door will be. that way the driver sees you first and well load you first , if the spots aren't already taken depending on where you are.

Yep I agree that's how it's supposed to work. But unfortunatly it doesn't always. I've had a driver tell me "Sorry they didn't see me and that it's too late to unload the bus to allow me on." when I was sitting right out in front of the line. I've also seen some resorts where there are many bus stops. So if the bus gets full enough on the first 2 stops and you're at the 3rd stop, well you don't have the option of standing so you're out of luck.

I know alot of people swear by WDW bus service. But since I can load my own wheelchair into the back seat of my 2 door car rental by myself I just prefer not to risk it. Nothing puts me in a worse mood then having to wait because someone makes a mistake. Especially when able bodied people just get to walk right on that same bus.

BTW the one where the driver missed me was at the end of a long day(aren't they all) after a late night Hoop De Doo. We were all tired, especially my daughter and having to explain to a young child that we had to wait for the next bus when everyone else at the stop had gotten on the bus really turned me off of WDW transportation.

Oh one more thing. I know my few bad experiences don't mean that WDW transprotation is bad. It's just that I'd rather not risk it for me. Most people think it's great. So even if you don't rent a car I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter