Queu-it for DVC RAT

emchen

Let's Discover*!
DVC Gold
Just scored tickets for Moonlight Magic at DCA for November 14, 2019 using the built in Queu-it system. So smooth...across platforms, got a sense of fairness. Seems it can be applied to the 7mo and 11mo rush to reserve certain room categories (value and concierge at AKL comes to mind) and seasons (during fall-frenzy for example).

Resolved: DVC will adopt use of Queu-it.com (a "virtual waiting room") for all 0800 EST reservations at 7 and 11 months.

Thumbs up if you vote yes.

Edited To Add (ETA): This post is meant to be a a little tongue-in-cheek...an impulse post. Goes without saying it is not a real resolution of the DVC Board. I was just quite pleased with how queu-it worked for Moonlight Magic that I thought to myself as a west-coaster...sure would be nice not having to wake at 0450 PST to constantly click refresh on important 7-mo window openings.

Last edited:
Got my tickets too. I really thought it worked well. There's no point in constantly hitting the server since that will just put you at the end of the line.

I liked the system, and agree it worked great when I used it for MM at Typhoon Lagoon.
Problem with ressies is, that is they are in that high of a demand, they are probably getting walked.
So it will mitigate the situation some, but not resolve. That being said, it obviously wont hurt anything.

I think walking is going to increase as it is. Now that you can modify reservations on line (IE - walk them without calling MS) walking has to be up. (Note, I think its great you can modify them on line, I don't want that to go away!)

I just booked VGF for sept 2020. I had bought it with the intent of using it for early December, but it is so hard to get, I just got another contract at BRV for that time frame. But now there really is nothing stopping me from walking my VGF ressie all the way to December. (Im not going to, I am just saying I can) It used to be in the past at least you had to go thru the headache of calling, and possibly getting harassed being asked how many times you were going to change your ressie.

No...it would only increase walking. If I knew it would be random for trying to get a value studio, and every day I simply get entered into a random draw, then I'm starting months in advance to increase my odds. It also will add to the number of people trying to get the reservation because they could enter into the random queue hours in advance.

Just scored tickets for Moonlight Magic at DCA for November 14, 2019 using the built in Queu-it system. So smooth...across platforms, got a sense of fairness. Seems it can be applied to the 7mo and 11mo rush to reserve certain room categories (value and concierge at AKL comes to mind) and seasons (during fall-frenzy for example).

Resolved: DVC will adopt use of Queu-it.com (a "virtual waiting room") for all 0800 EST reservations at 7 and 11 months.

Thumbs up if you vote yes.
I did as well...When did they say they will do this for reservations? Currently when you click continue from the calendar it locks in a room for you based on your selection while you fill out the form.

No...it would only increase walking. If I knew it would be random for trying to get a value studio, and every day I simply get entered into a random draw, then I'm starting months in advance to increase my odds. It also will add to the number of people trying to get the reservation because they could enter into the random queue hours in advance.
You are already in a random draw, of sorts, competing against those hitting the reservation system at the same time. From history, the reservation system sometimes "breaks" under the load disrupting all who are the process. With a Queu-it process, at least some might get their reservations completed.

You are already in a random draw, of sorts, competing against those hitting the reservation system at the same time. From history, the reservation system sometimes "breaks" under the load disrupting all who are the process. With a Queu-it process, at least some might get their reservations completed.
Sure, but right now, to a degree its first come first serve. In the Queue based system they are using everyone thats ahead of time is randomly placed into position, so you could have been first and now are 100 behind, and the person coming in right before the booking window opening could be first. I think this works fine when you have 20,000 available spots (guessing), but when you have 40-100 rooms for example, it doesnt work so well.

Unfortunately it is something they wouldn't be able to do, on whole, as the POS dictates that reservations are to be processed on a first come first serve system, outside some high demand seasons (only did a lottery for Christmas in the very very beginning) DVCMC can add a "list" of guests wanting a reservation. Therefore this Queu-it system would circumvent this requirement of our contracts, especially if applied each day of the year. I wouldn't like this system as I feel it would make reservations harder to get than they currently are as I feel more would grab on spec knowing how hard it is to grab a reservation during certain times of the year. Outside a few room categories overall DVC doesn't have a huge issue at 11 months, so I'm not for hindering other owners for the few owners wanting to grab those hard to get rooms.

Sure, but right now, to a degree its first come first serve.
Unfortunately it is something they wouldn't be able to do, on whole, as the POS dictates that reservations are to be processed on a first come first serve system, outside some high demand seasons (only did a lottery for Christmas in the very very beginning) DVCMC can add a "list" of guests wanting a reservation.
Good enough. Thanks!

From a technical standpoint, the Queu-it system works for systems that are not designed to handle such massive fluctuations in demand. basically (mostly)inactive most of the time then all of a sudden, SLAMMED.
Otherwise a system should be robust and scalable enough to handle to needs of the users, and the dvc online system (when working) can handle the srtess

I'm not sure how the website you are talking about works.
It's the site that is being used for Moonlight Magic registration now. If registration opens at 9AM anybody can get in the queue from a certain time forward (let's say 7AM). It then assigns everyone who has entered the queue a random spot at 9AM. Anybody joining the queue after 9AM goes to the back of the line.

Walking may or may not be a more frequent phenom, but still only a tiny minority of DVC members engage in it. Also, those wanting to trade into a resort at 7mo cannot use it to gain any advantage. A “virtual waiting room” will have the advantage of leveling the playing field between the right and left coasts.

A “virtual waiting room” will have the advantage of leveling the playing field between the right and left coasts.
Would it? Under the waiting room situation you would still have to be on during a specific window to log into the waiting room (browser session eventually expire they don't exist perpetually). Then sit there for potentially an hour or more as you wait for those randomly assigned their spot before you to finish their reservation. I actually would think this would be more of a disadvantage for those that have to log on during inopportune times because you might have to wait for a long time to get to your place in line, only then to find out you didn't get a room

Walking may or may not be a more frequent phenom, but still only a tiny minority of DVC members engage in it. Also, those wanting to trade into a resort at 7mo cannot use it to gain any advantage. A “virtual waiting room” will have the advantage of leveling the playing field between the right and left coasts.
How so? Reservations start at 8 am Eastern Time. There is no advantage to being there at 7:00 as opposed to 7:59. It isnt a line as is, all requests get processed in parallel. As it stands now, left coast ppl should be ready to go at 5 am their time, that would not change. They only disadvantage to the left coast is they have to get up earlier. Still the same.

Also, what if you wanted to change a reservation that is 8 months from now, do you get queued up as well, and have to wait because of all the ppl booking 11 and 7 months out?

You can still walk a ressie at 7 months, its just not virtually bulletproof like it is at 11 months, as someone with 11 month advantage can jump in front of your walk window (but no one else with 7 months can)

But if the POS says first come first serve, it is a moot point.

I'm not in favor of doing anything to the 11 month window to "randomize" reservations. It's not a solution to walking (which is only a problem for the smallest [in number] booking categories and/or certain dates, not the entire year, anyway).

The queu-it system only creates a different group of "winners" and "losers", and IMO, starts a slippery slope for future changes to the windows.

They only disadvantage to the left coast is they have to get up earlier.

Edited To Add (ETA): This post is meant to be a a little tongue-in-cheek...an impulse post. Goes without saying it is not a real resolution of the DVC Board. I was just quite pleased with how queu-it worked for Moonlight Magic that I thought to myself as a west-coaster...sure would be nice not having to wake at 0450 PST to constantly click refresh on important 7-mo window openings.

The queu-it system only creates a different group of "winners" and "losers", and IMO, starts a slippery slope for future changes to the windows.

I had to go back to my original post to make sure I wasn't suggesting this as a solution to "walking a reservation". Spoiler alert: I am not! The suggestion was meant to be slightly (read, very minimally slightly) humorous. Didn't mean to touch off a "never-queu-it" protest... :rolleyes1

It's the site that is being used for Moonlight Magic registration now. If registration opens at 9AM anybody can get in the queue from a certain time forward (let's say 7AM). It then assigns everyone who has entered the queue a random spot at 9AM. Anybody joining the queue after 9AM goes to the back of the line.

Ah, so then this is the system that we used when we tried to sign up for the opening day of Star Wars Land at Disneyland. I was not impressed. I, and several family members, signed on as early as we were allowed to do so, and we waited and waited and waited, and by the time it got to me, I couldn't even make a reservation until 5 days after the opening day, which was the day we were leaving DL.

I don't see how it could be helpful in most situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter