Queue line for HS Galaxy Edge?

Diz Bee

Mouseketeer
So since WDW doesn’t have a reservation system in place for Galaxy Edge, and a 6am opening on August 29th to the general public, the question has been “what is Disney’s plan to handle the crowds and lines?” I’ve been asking almost daily on what the plan is, and do they even have one. I finally got an answer of sorts... not definitive but a least 2 plans HS is reviewing.
Plan 1, is to have guests line up in a queue that weaves through the park.
I laughed when I was told this one. It seems such a haphazard approach at such a small park. I don’t see them doing this.
Plan 2, is to make the Fantasmic theatre a queue area for the masses. I laughed at this one too but, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It will free up the rest of the park for others to enjoy, and it will be easier to track the numbers of people waiting to get in. That way Disney will be able to have an entry cut off. The only issue I see is the transfer of the people over to Galaxy Edge.
So it seems they’re finally coming to terms with the onslaught of guests. I think they’re a little behind but it’s something at least. Still no word on when they will allow people to line up outside the gate. The only answer I got was “no tents will be allowed!”

Last edited:
Fantasmic doesn't make much sense to me either. It is on the other side of the park, and then what about when its time to prep for the show. A line weaving throughout the park isn't great logistically. It makes flow extremely harder. DHS would greatly benefit from a virtual queue and I sure hope they use it, but I am not placing money on it currently. If they have a regular queue I can see them using grand avenue and then backstage areas such as the former Pixar Place area which would keep the people close to the land and allow space for the line.

That backstage area from Grand Ave to Toy Story Land is somewhat clean and new. Pretty spacious too. That is an access road though. If they use that road, Pixar Place, and Grand Ave., along with miles of rope (lol), it may work as a queue. Although, I haven’t seen any installations of post holes for stanchions yet. It seems to be getting a little late in the game.

That backstage area from Grand Ave to Toy Story Land is somewhat clean and new. Pretty spacious too. That is an access road though. If they use that road, Pixar Place, and Grand Ave., along with miles of rope (lol), it may work as a queue. Although, I haven’t seen any installations of post holes for stanchions yet. It seems to be getting a little late in the game.
you're talking about Stage Lane? that is a good possibility

So since WDW doesn’t have a reservation system in place for Galaxy Edge, and a 6am opening on August 29th to the general public, the question has been “what is Disney’s plan to handle the crowds and lines?” I’ve been asking almost daily on what the plan is, and do they even have one. I finally got an answer of sorts... not definitive but a least 2 plans HS is reviewing.
Plan 1, is to have guests line up in a queue that weaves through the park.
I laughed when I was told this one. It seems such a haphazard approach at such a small park. I don’t see them doing this.
Plan 2, is to make the Fantasmic theatre a queue area for the masses. I laughed at this one too but, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It will free up the rest of the park for others to enjoy, and it will be easier to track the numbers of people waiting to get in. That way Disney will be able to have an entry cut off. The only issue I see is the transfer of the people over to Galaxy Edge.
So it seems they’re finally coming to terms with the onslaught of guests. I think they’re a little behind but it’s something at least. Still no word on when they will allow people to line up outside the gate. The only answer I got was “no tents will be allowed!”

You forgot what is the most likely in my mind, a virtual queue like Disneyland.

Where are you hearing this? Trapping everyone in Fantasmic! makes almost no sense to me. First there is the obvious of what happens when they need to prepare for the show. Then there's the issue of keeping everyone round up like cattle--what about the kids? Boredom sets in and then you've got kids jumping up and down on benches and stairs? Don't see them opening themselves up to that. Then what about people who want to get out of line to grab a drink or snack? Would they have to employ extra vendors now--or do those people have to walk alllll the way down that hill to the blvd? Seems like it creates more problems than it solves.

Also I think the real question everyone has is how will it work on OPENING DAY at first open (camping out, reservations, etc.) Not so much how it will work in general.

A virtual queue will probably be used here but there will still be guest lining up to get into the land first thing in the morning, especially for the first 3 days of operation

Why would there be a huge line to open the land? Everyone lines up for rope drop like normal, they walk the group back, there is 3 or 4 dividers (like a sporting event/airport) each with multiple CMs using clickers to count. Once they approach the max they inform the land is at capacity and that everyone needs to sign up for the virtual queue on the their phone.

There shouldn't be some huge long line as people should be able to move at a normal walking pace to go through the Star Wars gates until the land is closed.

Just as an example if the land capacity is 4000 people they could have 4 lanes to enter with CMs in the lanes only allowing 900 guests each. That would put 3600 guests in the land at which point you could start letting virtual queue times enter automatically whenever you wanted (say 30 mins as it allows the original 3600 guests to spread out in the land). You could even tweak it and only let in 3000 guests to start to avoid overrunning the ride line (depending on how many people that holds).

Why would there be a huge line to open the land? Everyone lines up for rope drop like normal, they walk the group back, there is 3 or 4 dividers (like a sporting event/airport) each with multiple CMs using clickers to count. Once they approach the max they inform the land is at capacity and that everyone needs to sign up for the virtual queue on the their phone.

There shouldn't be some huge long line as people should be able to move at a normal walking pace to go through the Star Wars gates until the land is closed.

Just as an example if the land capacity is 4000 people they could have 4 lanes to enter with CMs in the lanes only allowing 900 guests each. That would put 3600 guests in the land at which point you could start letting virtual queue times enter automatically whenever you wanted (say 30 mins as it allows the original 3600 guests to spread out in the land). You could even tweak it and only let in 3000 guests to start to avoid overrunning the ride line (depending on how many people that holds).
I'm talking about lining up before DHS opens

Where are you hearing this? Trapping everyone in Fantasmic! makes almost no sense to me. First there is the obvious of what happens when they need to prepare for the show. Then there's the issue of keeping everyone round up like cattle--what about the kids? Boredom sets in and then you've got kids jumping up and down on benches and stairs? Don't see them opening themselves up to that. Then what about people who want to get out of line to grab a drink or snack? Would they have to employ extra vendors now--or do those people have to walk alllll the way down that hill to the blvd? Seems like it creates more problems than it solves.

Also I think the real question everyone has is how will it work on OPENING DAY at first open (camping out, reservations, etc.) Not so much how it will work in general.
I'm not sure where the OP heard the F! scenario but I have been told that management is also considering this possibility.
I believe F! theater is to be used by people camping out over night, so that there isn't a huge crowd outside of the gates. There are restrooms in that theater also available food venues if they open them. This would only be used for overnight and early morning corrals.
Again nothing is set ins tone

I'm not sure where the OP heard the F! scenario but I have been told that management is also considering this possibility.
I believe F! theater is to be used by people camping out over night, so that there isn't a huge crowd outside of the gates. There are restrooms in that theater also available food venues if they open them. This would only be used for overnight and early morning corrals.
Again nothing is set ins tone
Hm ok. That is a little more interesting idea to use it for the pre-open/overnight crowd.

Will there be a 4 hour wrist-band time limit for SWGE in DW as well? Are they still doing that in DL now that the reservation time frame is over?

Will there be a 4 hour wrist-band time limit for SWGE in DW as well? Are they still doing that in DL now that the reservation time frame is over?
WDW has said no reservation system. Yes DL's reservation system ended this past Sunday and the land is now open until it hits capacity, that's when the VQ kicks in

I'm talking about lining up before DHS opens

I guess I don't understand? What do they do today? Its really no different. I mean they in theory could have a "stable" they put everyone in starting at like 2am or 3am dictating you are a part of the first group to enter? The line could even start right at the Star Wars gates because they would have to be able to fit a straight line of 5000/6000 people between there and the front gate right?

This again would allow people to be in order while allowing people to moving at walking pace when they open the land.

WDW has said no reservation system. Yes DL's reservation system ended this past Sunday and the land is now open until it hits capacity, that's when the VQ kicks in
I know WDW says no reservations, I just am not clear if you must vacate SWGE after 4 hours still in DL now that reservations are over. Or are there people getting in first thing in the AM and staying all day?

I guess I don't understand? What do they do today? Its really no different. I mean they in theory could have a "stable" they put everyone in starting at like 2am or 3am dictating you are a part of the first group to enter? The line could even start right at the Star Wars gates because they would have to be able to fit a straight line of 5000/6000 people between there and the front gate right?

This again would allow people to be in order while allowing people to moving at walking pace when they open the land.
yes exactly. People, if allowed, will camp out over night. If they allow this Disney will want everyone, or as many as possible inside the park. So let's say people start lining up by park closing the night before. DIsney could open the F! theater to have everyone in there, in one contained space, they could have everyone going over to Grand Av and the Muppet courtyard and have them contained there. Then when the land opens at 6am these people will be able to go in.
The land hits capacity and then the VQ kicks in
The difference from what they do now is that they will have hundreds if not in the thousand of people waiting to get in, now for a regular rope drop they have hundreds waiting but not as many as what will happen August 29th

I know WDW says no reservations, I just am not clear if you must vacate SWGE after 4 hours still in DL now that reservations are over. Or are there people getting in first thing in the AM and staying all day?
they have not disclosed that info yet. Without a reservation system and with the implementation of a VQ it would not be possible to control time inside the land

There is no longer a time limit. From all that I've seen it's not really an issue because honestly there isn't a whole lot to do there besides eat and buy things. They are finding that currently four hours is more than enough. From other threads and articles you will actually see that they don't even have need for a virtual queue at various times of the days recently. These could be for a few different reasons but, at least so far, it's nowhere near the disaster people expected.

These could be for a few different reasons but, at least so far, it's nowhere near the disaster people expected.

I think starting mid week right before 4th of July week has helped keep down the crowds slightly. That being said I think its the same reason why Disney decided to launch at WDW during historically the slowest time of year and when a large number of visitors are unable to attend (right as K-12 schools are starting).

I do think it will be worse at WDW then currently at Disneyland but no where near the apocalyptic view some have. Lets see how Disneyland makes it through next week though.

I think starting mid week right before 4th of July week has helped keep down the crowds slightly. That being said I think its the same reason why Disney decided to launch at WDW during historically the slowest time of year and when a large number of visitors are unable to attend (right as K-12 schools are starting).

I do think it will be worse at WDW then currently at Disneyland but no where near the apocalyptic view some have. Lets see how Disneyland makes it through next week though.
yes, the makeup of a DL guest is not the same as a WDW guest. There will definitely be more crowds but it doesn't necessarily mean insanity. Just longer lines that hopefully will be controlled

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter