Quick questions about fastpasses

friedela

DIS Veteran
OK, I had a look at the stickies for Newbies and couldn't see an answer to my question, so I am wondering if when you go to a fastpass machine to get a paper fast pass, do you get to choose a time? Or are you just given whichever time is next available? Just wondering what happens if it clashes with something else in your plans, like a dining reservation, or wanting to take a break at your hotel, etc. Also, what happens if you get a fastpass and you no longer need it, say you change your plans for the day.. do you have to wait until that fastpass return time ends to get another for a different attraction? (We aren't doing maxpass).

We've only done the fastpass + system at DW, so I am having a hard time picturing how the system works at DL.

The current FastPass return time is shown on a sign above the FastPass machines for each ride. If you can't ride at that time, you just don't get that FastPass. It will show you the current FastPass return time in the Disneyland app so you don't have to walk all the way to the machine to know.
If you get a FastPass and you decide you want to do something else, you just don't use it. You do have to wait until that FastPass return time or 2 hours after you got your last FastPass (whichever comes first) before you can get another. The time you are eligible for another FastPass will be printed on the bottom of your last one.
Paper FastPass tickets are really just reminder slips, your actual ticket is what needs to be scanned at the FastPass return lines.

PP covered most of it, but one more tip: even without Maxpass, you can cancel a FP in the app. So if you pull one and decide you don’t want it, you can cancel and get a new one.

Oh that's good to know. I always use MaxPass so the last time I used actual FastPass, the app didn't exist yet. :)

The current FastPass return time is shown on a sign above the FastPass machines for each ride. If you can't ride at that time, you just don't get that FastPass. It will show you the current FastPass return time in the Disneyland app so you don't have to walk all the way to the machine to know.
If you get a FastPass and you decide you want to do something else, you just don't use it. You do have to wait until that FastPass return time or 2 hours after you got your last FastPass (whichever comes first) before you can get another. The time you are eligible for another FastPass will be printed on the bottom of your last one.
Paper FastPass tickets are really just reminder slips, your actual ticket is what needs to be scanned at the FastPass return lines.

Ok, so at WDW, you could see a bunch of fastpass times on the ap, and pick which one you wanted, sometimes there were 8 or 9 different times to choose from. But the DL system is not like that? There isn't an option between different fastpass times?? Am I understanding correctly that when we go to the machines, we will be given the next fastpass time available? Sorry, like i said, I am having a really hard time picturing how it works, lol.

Ok, so at WDW, you could see a bunch of fastpass times on the ap, and pick which one you wanted, sometimes there were 8 or 9 different times to choose from. But the DL system is not like that? There isn't an option between different fastpass times?? Am I understanding correctly that when we go to the machines, we will be given the next fastpass time available? Sorry, like i said, I am having a really hard time picturing how it works, lol.

Correct, the DL system is not like that -- there is no option to select from different fastness times. When you go to the machine, you will be given the next fastpass time available. The time can also be seen on the sign next to the fastpass kiosks or on the app.

There will be a sign at the fastpass kiosk that tells you what the return times are. Also, the app will tell you fastpass return times for the different rides. It is very easy.

The DL app which show the current FP return times for that ride. But if the current FP return window availability is, let's say 1-2 pm and right now it's 11 am...and you want to actually ride it between 3-4 pm, it won't let you select 3-4 pm right now...you'll have to wait until the FP return window shows 3-4 pm and THEN you get the FP.

This article by Disneyland Daily is a really excellent tutorial that explains how it all works --> https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/

For the OP:
You had mentioned in another thread that you were also going to use DAS simultaneously with free FP -- and the two systems work very well together. You are allowed to hold a DAS return time at the same time as you have FPs. One big difference between the two systems is that DAS has open ended return times. When you request a DAS return time, it will be for approx. 5 minutes + the current standby wait time. So, for example, if you request a DAS return time for Dumbo -- and the current standby wait time is 40 minutes -- your DAS return time will be 40 minutes + 5 minutes = 45 minutes. You will be able to use your Dumbo return time any time after 45 minutes have passed. So if you want to use it after 45 minutes, fine. After two hours, fine. After 5 hours, fine. Use your DAS return time whenever it works out for you to use it that same day. But you cannot request another DAS return time until you use the first one. FP requires you to use your return time within a one hour return window (which you cannot choose -- the return time is given to you) or your FP expires. DAS doesn't expire until park closing -- you can use it until closing, but you can't get another one until you use the first one.

The DL app which show the current FP return times for that ride. But if the current FP return window availability is, let's say 1-2 pm and right now it's 11 am...and you want to actually ride it between 3-4 pm, it won't let you select 3-4 pm right now...you'll have to wait until the FP return window shows 3-4 pm and THEN you get the FP.

This article by Disneyland Daily is a really excellent tutorial that explains how it all works --> https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/

Oh! Ok, I get it now. Thank you!

For the OP:
You had mentioned in another thread that you were also going to use DAS simultaneously with free FP -- and the two systems work very well together. You are allowed to hold a DAS return time at the same time as you have FPs. One big difference between the two systems is that DAS has open ended return times. When you request a DAS return time, it will be for approx. 5 minutes + the current standby wait time. So, for example, if you request a DAS return time for Dumbo -- and the current standby wait time is 40 minutes -- your DAS return time will be 40 minutes + 5 minutes = 45 minutes. You will be able to use your Dumbo return time any time after 45 minutes have passed. So if you want to use it after 45 minutes, fine. After two hours, fine. After 5 hours, fine. Use your DAS return time whenever it works out for you to use it that same day. But you cannot request another DAS return time until you use the first one. FP requires you to use your return time within a one hour return window (which you cannot choose -- the return time is given to you) or your FP expires. DAS doesn't expire until park closing -- you can use it until closing, but you can't get another one until you use the first one.

Hi again! Yes, we are planning on using the DAS system. That is good to know it is open-ended.
Another question now that I know how the fastpass system works... if everyone rushes to Radiator Springs Racers (is that what it's called?) because it's the most popular attraction, if you are late getting there will you lose out on the opportunity to get a fastpass for it? Does that particular attraction and other popular ones "sell out" of fast passes? (understanding that it's free, just for lack of a better word, lol). I guess if we have the DAS pass for DD though we will end up getting on that ride no matter what, but I'm curious if we should be running there with the rest of the crowds to get a fastpass for it too.

This may help: "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

:wizard:

No need to run to get a fastpass for RSR. They will run out but it will be a few hours. I think most of the time (depending on park hours) they will last until at least 12 noon. You can check on the app anytime to see what the availability is. And that is anytime before you go.... tomorrow, a week before you go, a month before you go..... just to get "the lay of the land"

Hi again! Yes, we are planning on using the DAS system. That is good to know it is open-ended.
Another question now that I know how the fastpass system works... if everyone rushes to Radiator Springs Racers (is that what it's called?) because it's the most popular attraction, if you are late getting there will you lose out on the opportunity to get a fastpass for it? Does that particular attraction and other popular ones "sell out" of fast passes? (understanding that it's free, just for lack of a better word, lol). I guess if we have the DAS pass for DD though we will end up getting on that ride no matter what, but I'm curious if we should be running there with the rest of the crowds to get a fastpass for it too.
Yes, you could get a DAS return time for RSR if you miss out on FPs, but as long as you keep a close eye on the app and the RSR FP return times, you should be able to get FPs without a problem. Right now, RSR FPs are running out around noon or a bit before, but that might be because of the wet weather we've been having. The week before your trip, start checking the app daily to see when RSR FPs run out, then you'll know how to time that for your trip.

No need to run to get a fastpass for RSR. They will run out but it will be a few hours. I think most of the time (depending on park hours) they will last until at least 12 noon. You can check on the app anytime to see what the availability is. And that is anytime before you go.... tomorrow, a week before you go, a month before you go..... just to get "the lay of the land"
Do you need tickets in order to see FP return times?

For the OP:

You are mistaken about the return time. It's usually the standby time minus 5 minutes, not plus 5 minutes. In your example, if the standby wait time is 40 min, you can come back in 35 minutes. Our return times are ALWAYS slightly less than the standby wait time.

Don't waste a FP on RSR since you have a DAS. We never use regular FP/Maxpass on that ride, but we ride it every time we go. We also don't use MP/FP for Toy Story Midway Mania. Those times run out quickly as well, and it's easier to use the DAS for those two rides in DCA. We will use Maxpass for the other rides in the park like Soarin, Goofy's Sky School, Incredicoaster, GoG, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter