Quick Shanghai DL trip on PVG layover

DestroysTheMoon

Earning My Ears
Howdy! I've been browsing this forum and found some great info regarding Shanghai but I have a bit of a different question.

Has anyone done a quick Shanghai DL visit during a layover at the Pudong Airport PVG? Is something like this possible:

-Flight arrives at PVG at 6am
-Visit park from rope drop til 2pm
-Head back to PVG for 5pm flight to Tokyo

Yes, it would be possible, but personally I don't think it would be worth it. Be aware that the park doesn't open until 10am on week days. Lines for some the headliners regularly hit the 2 hour mark and beyond, and FPs run out quickly. If you're going to do it, go in knowing that you will only get a very small taste of the park and will only experience a few attractions. Pick one headliner and prioritise that (either get a FP or head straight to the SB line), then concentrate on high capacity rides or walk throughs so that you're not wasting too much time in lines. Maybe try to do one attraction per land so you get a brief overview of the whole park.

Howdy! I've been browsing this forum and found some great info regarding Shanghai but I have a bit of a different question.

Has anyone done a quick Shanghai DL visit during a layover at the Pudong Airport PVG? Is something like this possible:

-Flight arrives at PVG at 6am
-Visit park from rope drop til 2pm
-Head back to PVG for 5pm flight to Tokyo
I sort of did this on Saturday (Sept 3). I had a 3:55pm flight and wanted some SDL souvenirs. I went to SDL ON Aug 6 but didn't get any tee shirts for my kids.

I arrived at the airport at 8am. Found out that the United counter didn't open until 9:10. Then I found out that they wouldn't take my baggage until noon. Found out that I could store my luggage at the end of ticketing aisle B for 30 RMB. So I paid the 30 RMB (about $4), got a taxi (on the baggage level at the end of Terminal 2) and arrived at SDL 30 minutes later. The taxi to SDL was 80 RMB; coming back to the airport was 110 RMB. The taxi drop off is about a ten minute walk to the SDL entrance, a little less to Disneytown. I made it to Disneytown about 10:10. Did my shopping, walked around a little, ate an early lunch at the Blue Frog, got some ice cream at the Boathouse, walked a little more and went back. The return taxi was one aisle closer than the drop off aisle. Make sure that you tell the driver "Pudong" airport and stick up one or two fingers for which terminal. I was back to the airport at 1:30 pm, got my baggage out of storage, checked in by 2pm, made it through customs and security in 45 minutes, had time to stop in to the China Air lounge (a partner with United) for a Diet Coke, and made it to my gate with 5 minutes to spare.

Can it be done? Yes
Do you want to spend 190 RMB for taxis and 499 RMB for the park to go on about 6 rides (about $20 a ride). That part is up to you

Thank you, very helpful info.. especially regarding the cab ride between Pudong and SDL. SDL offers luggage storage for about $8/day, so it seems more affordable and convenient to leave it at the airport. Did Disneytown open at the same time as the park?

Is 45 min to get through security and customs about average?

Thank you, very helpful info.. especially regarding the cab ride between Pudong and SDL. SDL offers luggage storage for about $8/day, so it seems more affordable and convenient to leave it at the airport. Did Disneytown open at the same time as the park?

Is 45 min to get through security and customs about average?

This was my first time returning to the USA from Shanghai, so I can only give you my one time experience of 45 minutes for a Saturday afternoon.

I believe SDL opened at 8am that day and Disneytown opened at 10am.

I considered doing a quick tour of SDL again. I chose not to because I had been there last month - so I went to Disneytown instead. My August 6 experience was: except for the first ride of the day (Soaring Over the Horizons, which is immensely popular with the Chinese) and the single rider line at POTC, each of the ride lines were more than an hour wait. I chose to avoid the anxiety of whether or not I would make my flight on time while being stuck in a long line. Also I had already been there and couldn't justify the cost for the few number of rides I'd be able to go on.

The attendant at the Pudong luggage counter charged me 30 RMB for 2-10 hours (cash only, no credit), and told me that I would owe another 10 RMB when I picked up my luggage. When I picked up my luggage, I had the 10 RMB ready to go, but she said I didn't owe anymore.

BTW - the taxis are cash-only as well. Expect the amount to be a little different from what I quoted...from the airport to SDL, the receipt showed 77 RMB but the driver only gave me 20 RMB change from a 100 note. From SDL to the airport I was quoted 102 RMB but the meter showed 111 RMB. Don't offer a tip, some drivers consider it an insult. If you need a receipt, say "chin gay wuh fop-e-ow" (please give me a receipt).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!