Quick Trip Report, August 2019

markpsych

DIS Veteran
We stayed at the DCR from the 13th-19th of August.

5 of us with AP's.

We've routinely visited more often over Christmas, as have previously found August too hot and busy (and much more expensive!), but the weather was just right this time.....with the exception of one day when it really poured with rain, including when we were queuing for the Lion King: Rhythms of the Pride Lands Show.

The DCR looked gorgeous. It's lovely being in the forest. Very lush and tranquil feeling.

We arrived at 10am, after driving from the UK through the early hours, and they gave us access to the cabin immediately which was much appreciated (they also did this when we visited in April).

In general the site is pretty quiet, without a great deal going on, but I like that! We made good use of the pool, and had a lovely meal at the restaurant as per usual.

Without exception, all of the cast members were fantastic (both at the DCR and the Parks). Very friendly and going out of their way to wish us a good day, etc. When a glass smashed near to where we were eating in the restaurant, the floor manager rushed over to check we were alright, and then brought free drinks to the table.

We had some AP blackout days, which was okay as we wanted to go into Paris for a day, and spent another lazing at the DCR.

If you are planning on visiting Paris soon, and like Van Gough's work, I'd recommend this show:

https://www.atelier-lumieres.com/en/van-gogh-starry-night
The parks looked gorgeous, and apart from the Tuesday which was heaving, they weren't too busy. I expect it would have been busier on the weekend, but the rain must have put some people off.

We managed to ride everything, and the only excessive queues we experienced were Crush's and the Lion King: Rhythms of the Pride Lands Show. As @B3rlingirl suggested, the queue for the Lion King was crazy (not helped by the fact that we queued in the pouring rain!). The show is good, and the new theatre is lovely, but personally I prefer Micky and the Magician in the Studios.

The late opening is definitely a major summer time perk for me as I love visiting the parks in the evening after dark. Unbeatable atmosphere, lower crowds, and BTM :)

One surprising highlight this trip was the quality of the food which was generally very good! Certainly compared to what they were serving in the Studios Backlot a few years ago, the burgers were exceptional....could have just been a little hotter! They also sell fries from a food cart in the studios now, which are very tasty and relatively good value. Very fast service at this cart too which is pretty unique for DLP!

We did consider renewing our APs, but decided against it in the end. The prices are pretty high now, and we're not 100% sure we can go this Christmas, so may have a couple of years off and go back when the Studios has been extended.

Oh.....and we enjoyed our last rides on Aerosmith's Rn'R Coaster RIP :(

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!