Quick trip to the Polynesian March 15-19 2019

nicdanh

DIS Veteran
March 16-19 Trip Report
Hotel: Polynesian

Friday: Check-In
Arrived at the Poly around 11:00am. We decided to do our check in when we arrived so that we could ask for a change of room if we did not like where they had put us. We were booked for a standard view. The women at the desk originally had us booked in Rarotonga on the second floor monorail view. We knew we wanted a balcony or patio so we asked if we could change. She made a quick call and offered us the same building first floor facing the Oasis pool. We gladly took it.
Our room was not ready so we headed to Captain Cooks to grab some lunch. The menu is small. I heard so many good things about the pulled pork nachos so I had to try them. YUM!! They were amazing!! Instead of nacho chips they use homemade potato chips. After our lunch we changed into our bathing suits and decided to hang by the pool until the room was ready.
Pool: 1:00p 85 hot and sunny = Zero place to sit. Not one chair was available. We sat on the edge of the pool until the room was ready. Pool was just ok. Was not impressed really. Being a deluxe resort, I would think it have more of a Wow factor and be bigger. It is great for people who have little kids because of the zero clearance.
Room: Our room became available around 1:30p We head to our room and surprisingly our luggage is there too. Yay! All of sudden I notice 1 bag is missing (mine) I go in to total panic mode thinking my suitcase has been lost. Call the baggage people and they reassure me that most of the time the luggage arrives separately not altogether. Phew! About 5 mins later it arrives. Room is very roomy. There is 5 of us. Myself, Husband, 2 daughters 19 & 14 and a Son 16. The girls take a queen bed, my husband and I in the other queen bed and my son gets the futon. He said it was very comfy. The room location was perfect! It was great being able to walk right out our slider and take a few steps to the Oasis pool where they had a refill station for our mugs. They also had different flavors of drinks than the one in Captain Cooks. The room location was steps from the GCH, Bus stop and walkway to TTC.
All and all the hotel was great! The grounds were beautiful. The hotel itself could use a little TLC. Given its age I can understand why it looks the way it does in some places. We loved that we could come back and watch the MK fireworks from the beach at the resort. Having the monorail was also a great benefit.
Monorail: Loved having it for MK. Also loved that you can do your bag check at the resort before getting on the monorail to MK and bypass the bag check at MK. Epcot is a different story. If you take the monorail from the poly to Epcot you will have bag check at the Poly then stop at GF, MK, CR and then TTC where you will get off the monorail and transfer to the Epcot monorail. When you arrive at Epcot you will bag check again at that park. Walking to TTC is the easiest and fastest way to get to Epcot. You will still go through bag check at TTC and again at Epcot entrance.

Weather was perfect our first day and then a cold front came through and we never saw the sun again and it was overcast, cool, damp and rainy at times. My legs never saw shorts after the first day. I was bummed. Coming from New England winter I was so hoping for a trip full of hot sunshine. We still had fun.
It was extremely crowded in the parks. I knew going over spring breaks the crowds would be heavier but not this heavy. Getting hopper passes for our trip was a HUGE waste of money. Hopping to a park later in the day there were zero fast passes for any park or ride and the lines were 60+ mins long. So basically we walked around the parks at night and rode nothing. When It’s a small world is a 70 min wait you know its crowded!! My days of park hopping I think are over. The crowds are too heavy now to allow it to be worth it. Unless Disney changes the fast passes and allows you to break up fast passes and get them at multiple parks instead of only allowing you to get 3 at one park only.
We rode FOP and Slinky dog for the first time. FOP was OMG, AMAZING! I get motion sickness so I take Dramamine daily when at the parks. Some rides I still can’t do even if I take Dramamine. Like Rockin Roller Coaster, Star wars and Tower of terror & Everest. I knew FOP might make me feel Ill but I needed to try it. I came off feeling a little queasy. If the ride was any longer I probably would have been sick but it would have been worth it and even though it made me feel a little queasy I will ride it again. Slinky Dog was very fun and made you giggle like a little kid.
Dining: We did 3 sit down meals.
Yak and Yeti: First time at this little hidden gem. It was awesome! I had to get the Kobe burger after to hearing all the rave reviews. It was the best burger I have ever had in my life!

Via Napoli: I started with Cimarola fried stuffed artichokes, stracchino, prosciutto. It was wonderful!
We ordered a large sausage pizza. Best pizza on Disney property. BEWARE: If your server asks you if he can bring you garlic bread be prepared it is not free. Our server came over took our drink order and then asked if we wanted any apps. We said no and then he asked “Can I bring you some garlic bread for the table” thinking it was free as bread at a restaurant usually is we said sure. When the bill arrived, we were charged 4.99 for the garlic bread. Instead of making a stink about it we just gave him 5.00 less for a tip.
Tokyo Dining: First time here for us. I would eat there again. Food was delicious! Daughter loved her Sushi. Said it was very fresh. Everyone was very pleased with their meal.
All and all we had a great short trip despite the crowds and the crappy weather. We squeezed in all the parks and some new dining places. Came home with tired legs and feet and 3 kids who want to know when we can plan our next trip back.

Thanks for the trip report. I found some good info in there. Yes, I’m very worried about the crowds, as we will be traveling at a similar time, and I’m gathering my courage to return. I’m glad you found it worth it even so.

We live close to the parks so we Love just walking around the parks but I can see where if you're on Vaca you'd want to take in all the rides. Sounds like a fun short trip!

Friday: Check-In
Arrived at the Poly around 11:00am. We decided to do our check in when we arrived so that we could ask for a change of room if we did not like where they had put us. We were booked for a standard view. The women at the desk originally had us booked in Rarotonga on the second floor monorail view. We knew we wanted a balcony or patio so we asked if we could change. She made a quick call and offered us the same building first floor facing the Oasis pool. We gladly took it.
What were your initial room requests?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter