• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quickest way to Epcot from MGM walking

missydisney

Mouseketeer
I saw someone post somewhere about doing Socery in the Sky at MGM and walking to Epcot for Illuminations. I would love to try this. We have never stayed in that are. Which walkways do we take to get there quickly? My son really want to do this if we can get directions:confused:

When you exit MGM, you'll see the boat dock on your left. Surrounding the water is a greenish metal railing. Follow the railing AWAY from the boat dock. You'll pass the MGM parking lot and several bus stops for off-site resorts.

Continue straight on this path. You will basically be following the canal that the boats travel between MGM and the Epcot resorts.

From the time you exit the park, it will take you about 15 minutes at a moderate pace to reach the edge of the Boardwalk resort. Then you're looking at another 10 minutes to walk past the BW resort and down the boardwalk itself. From the ESPN club at the edge of the boardwalk, it's another 5 minutes to the International Gateway at Epcot.

So, I'd guess total travel time of 30 minutes from MGM to Epcot on foot.

Not sure how long it might take to get into Epcot itself. The International Gateway is a tiny entrance. If memory serves, they only have 4 bag check stations (when fully staffed) and 4 turnstiles. It's not exactly a secret that you can make the trek from MGM to Epcot, so you will probably be able to just follow the crowd.

Thanks for the directions. I think we will try to make both. Sounds like it may work. Won't plan on it but we will try. :)

Seeing both shows is something we do on a regular basis.

Its pretty sure that any "secret plan" that ONE Disney fan thinks up has probably been tried by hundreds of other "insiders" to maximize the experience.

Disney seems to actually HELP with these schemes... for YEARS it was impossible to WALK the (relatively) short distance between MGM and EPCOT... even after Boardwalk opened, the pathway had a locked gate under one of the traffic bridges to deter any foot-traffic between these areas.

Then one year as we rode the boat to MGM, we took special note that new path-lighting had apparently been installed and the gate was now opened!

We watched the night show at MGM and, with about 45 minutes before IllumiNations show-time, we decided to attempt to "hoof it" to EPCOT to catch THAT show.

We didn't dawdle, and actually had enough time to pause at Boardwalk, sit for a few minutes and sip a cappuccino, then stroll across the footbridge and thru the Int'l. Gateway and up to the bridge near France in time for the "Five Minutes" IllumiNations announcement.

BIG TIP: Just before you go to WDW, set everyone's WATCHES accurately TO THE SECOND using an "Atomic" clock (any clock, on the web or otherwise, based on WWV "U.S. Bureau of Standards" time.)

WDW major show start-times are almost always EXACTLY ON TIME.
I have amazed people by counting down to the precise start of DISTANT Fireworks shows, just using my accurately-set watch-time.
(We can be peacefully seated in a rocker on the porch at Ft. Wilderness and I can countdown to the first explosion of "Wishes" across the lakes at MK (I had noted the EXACT time of the first "bang" on our first evening) and every night it was on-time... gives YOU a real aura of POWER to the "tourists" in the vicinity!;)

FYI:

If you don't want to walk you can take the boat. You can hop on at MGM, ride to a resort, hop off, and transfer to the Epcot boat. Now this will probably take longer, but it will save the feet!:D

Originally posted by CoolDisneyCat
FYI:

If you don't want to walk you can take the boat. You can hop on at MGM, ride to a resort, hop off, and transfer to the Epcot boat. Now this will probably take longer, but it will save the feet!:D

You don't NEED to "hop-off and transfer" as ALL the boats in this area make all the spots and eventually end up at either park (and back again until closing-time.)
And yes, it will take a total of up to 40 minutes to get from MGM to Epcot (or the other way) and this is counted from the time you actually leave the dock... so make sure you have that kind of time.

BUT... you CAN do a "combo" of boats and walking to save a little time and shoe-soles.

Take the boat from MGM (it will stop at Swan/Dolphin first) then bounce NEXT to either Yatch/Beach Club pier -or- Boardwalk pier. If you exit at either of these piers its only about a 6-to-8-minute walk to Epcot's Intl. Gateway.

The trip from MGM to either Yacht/Beach or Boardwalk pier (whichever comes up first, after the stop at Swan/Dolphin) should be about 15-20 min. (but remember that the boats may wait until they are relatively FULL before they depart MGM or Epcot, so my time estimates don't START counting until "cast-off".
And at BUSY times (after Fantasmic! or Fantasy in the Sky) you might have to wait for SEVERAL boats full of folks before you get to board... and you will be STANDING in a line as you wait.

That's why we sometimes opt for the WALKING PATH (if I'm on my feet, why not walk?)
Its good to know ALL of your options!

The time we walked from EPCOT to MGM we actually beat the boat. And we were the only ones making the trek, so don't count on following the crowd, be sure you know your route ahead of time. DH & I walked from MGM to EPCOT earlier in the evening to time it and to make sure we had the route down, then made adjustments on the trip back for Fantasmic.

Lori

Originally posted by snyderla
be sure you know your route ahead of time. DH & I walked from MGM to EPCOT earlier in the evening to time it and to make sure we had the route down,

Lori

That's a nifty idea, but you know there IS ONLY ONE direct route:

From Epcot to MGM:
1. Exit via Epcot Intl. Gateway, stroll along the water canal (VERY short walk), then...
2. Up and left, over the bridge to Boardwalk (do NOT go straight to Yacht and Beach Clubs.)
3. Walk all the way thru on the Boardwalk past "Jelly Rolls" (Dueling Pianos Bar.)
4. Turn Left at waterway (do NOT cross over bridge to Swan/Dolphin.)
5. Stay on the "only sidewalk/walkway there is", all the way to MGM parking lot and entrance.
(From MGM to Epcot, reverse this order.)

The only other possible route would be to go ALL THE WAY AROUND past Yacht Club, and Swan/Dolphin... but that would be MUCH longer than walking thru Boardwalk.

Don't know how else you COULD possibly modify this simple, direct route.

Originally posted by Robo
That's a nifty idea, but you know there IS ONLY ONE direct route:

From Epcot to MGM:
1. Exit via Epcot Intl. Gateway, stroll along the water canal (VERY short walk), then...
2. Up and left, over the bridge to Boardwalk (do NOT go straight to Yacht and Beach Clubs.)
3. Walk all the way thru on the Boardwalk past "Jelly Rolls" (Dueling Pianos Bar.)
4. Turn Left at waterway (do NOT cross over bridge to Swan/Dolphin.)
5. Stay on the "only sidewalk/walkway there is", all the way to MGM parking lot and entrance.
(From MGM to Epcot, reverse this order.)

The only other possible route would be to go ALL THE WAY AROUND past Yacht Club, and Swan/Dolphin... but that would be MUCH longer than walking thru Boardwalk.

Don't know how else you COULD possibly modify this simple, direct route.

Actually, you can take the short cut through the BWI Luna pool area. You are"cutting the corner" that way.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter