R: Chicken & Dumplins

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
I'm so excited - I just came across this one. I love the chicken and dumplings from Cracker Barrel. I hope this recipe is authentic!

Chicken & Dumplins -Cracker Barrel
Chicken and broth:

3 qts. water
1 3-4 lb chicken, cut up
1 ½ t. salt
1 small onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
1 bay leaf
4 - 6 whole parsley leaves
1 t coarsely ground black pepper
1 T. lemon juice

Dumplins:
2 c all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1 1/4 t salt
1 c plus 2 T. milk

Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add the chicken, 1 t salt, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and parsley to the pot. Reduce heat to simmer and cook the chicken, uncovered for 2 hrs. The liquid will reduce by about 1/3. When the chicken has cooked, remove it from the pot and set it aside. Strain the stock to remove all the veggies and floating scum. You only want the stock and the chicken, so toss everything else out. Pour 1 ½ qts. . (6 c) of the stock back into the pot. You may want to use a smaller pot than you used before. Add coarsely ground pepper, the remaining ½ t. salt, and the lemon juice, then reheat the stock over med. heat while preparing the dumplins.

For the dumplins, combine the flour, baking powder, 1 1/4 t salt, & milk in a med. bowl. Stir well until smooth, then let the dough rest for 5 - 10 min. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to about a 1/2" thickness. Cut the dough into 1/2" squares and drop each square into the simmering stock. Use all of the dough. The dumplins will first swell and then slowly shrink as they
partially dissolve to thicken the stock into a white gravy. Simmer for 20 - 30 min til thick. Stir often.

While the stock is thickening the chicken will have become cool enough to handle. Tear all the meat from the bones and remove and discard the skin. Cut into bite sized pieces and drop into the pot. Continue to simmer the chicken and dumplins for another 5 - 10 min., but don't stir too often so the chicken pieces stay a nice size and don't fall a part.

When gravy has reached the desired consistency, ladle four portions onto plates and serve hot. Serve with your choice of veggie and bread, if desired.

We roll our dough out very thin. Makes them taste even better! We also use canned biscuits. That way you dont have to make the dough. LOL gotta take the lazy way out. :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!