R: Pork Chops and Broccoli in the Crockpot

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
I rarely use a recipe to "cook" although I always "bake" with one. Anyway, the idea for this meal came from my mother-in-law who makes this on top of the stove.

I take a good-sized bunch of broccoli. I cut the bottoms of the stalk where it's really woody, but slice the rest of the stem into "coins." I cut the tops into florets.

I put a small amount (1 to 2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the bottom of my crockpot. I put the broccoli coins in a single layer on the bottom. Then, I sliver in 1 to 1/2 clove of garlic (depends on size of clove) over the broccoli and I season it with salt and pepper.

I place 2 center cut pork chops with bones on top. I season them with salt and pepper, then I put a layer of broccoli florets on top. (You can add some coins if you didn't use them all on the bottom.) I sliver 1/2 to 1 clove of garlic on top of the florets, add a little salt and pepper, then drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top.

Next I place 2 more pork chops, season them, more broccoli, season it, and drizzle more olive oil. I do one more layer like this for a total of 6 pork chops.

I can't tell you off the top of my head how many pounds of pork chops I use in total, but it's 6 pork chops of "regular size" i.e., not the thin or extra thick ones.

I cover the pot and cook it all day on low. At the end of the day, I take the pork chops out and remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon. I arrange everything on a platter and cover it with foil.

For the sauce, which you need because the pork chops get a little dry, I mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and stir until dissolved. I put the crockpot on high, stir in the cornstarch/water mixture, and cook it for 20-30 minutes until it's thickened. I put some sauce on top of the meat and serve some on the side.

This is a delicious meal. The pork chops get very tender; the meat nearly falls off the bone. The broccoli/garlic/olive oil flavor is very good, too.

I'm going to give this one a try soon -- I want to start trying more crock-pot recipes. This sounds great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter