R:Sad subject but sometimes needs to be addressed

chessie

DIS Veteran
Sad subject but sometimes needs to be addressed.

In the past week I have experienced the death of two friends. One very dear and the other the husband of a friend from work. Being single I don't cook much anymore so my brain didn't have any ideas of what to make to take to the house for the family to eat. I ended up pitching in to buy a deli tray for the one and the other I put together a fruit salad.

What ideas would anyone have to make in these circumstances.

Chessie

First of all I wanted to say that I am sorry for the recent losses that you have gone through. It must have been very hard to go through both so close together.

As far as the food goes, I think contributing to the trays and making a fruit salad was a good idea. If you wanted to make something yourself a casserole that can be frozen is always nice. This way if they have a lot of food they can freeze it to use later in the week.

Here's a couple casserole recipes for you:

Turkey Tetrazzini

1 pkg (8 oz) spaghetti broken in 3" pieces, cooked, drained
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups diced cooked turkey
2 tablespoons diced pimientos, if desired
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine spaghetti with 1 cup Cheddar cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, and remaining ingredients. Toss together; place in a greased casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Cook at 350 degrees F., covered, for about 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.

Cheddar Beef and Noodle Casserole

1 pkg (8oz) noodles, cooked & drained
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, lean
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar (15oz) spaghetti sauce
1 can Cheddar cheese soup, (10 3/4 oz)
1 can tomato sauce, (8 oz)
1 can or jar sliced mushrooms, (4 oz)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onion; drain well. Stir in spaghetti sauce, soup, tomato sauce, mushrooms, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Combine beef mixture with cooked noodles; pour into a 3-quart baking dish (may use 13- by 9-inch baking pan). Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese, and bake just until cheese is melted.
Serves 8.

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear this news. You are a wonderful friend to think of the needs of the family as you cope with the deaths yourself.

Bringing the deli platter and fruit salad are good choices. Others may be a roasted chicken with fixings, soup, light pasta dishes and salads, tray of cookies, etc. The family may not feel like eating so lighter foods may be better.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement.

My dear friend's death was totally unexpected. He was never sick a day in his life and was 54 years old. My coworker's husband had been sick but was still not expected. He too was in his 50's.

You feel so helpless at these times and food just seems to be the comfort thing to do. It also helps with your own grief.

Chessie

Chessie-

I am so sorry for your losses. We had a death in the family one time, and a very nice lady that worked with my mother who did not cook brought by tons of paper plates, plasticware, napkins, cups, kleenex, even toilet paper! My dad's family is HUGE, so we had a lot of people grieving at our house at that time. There wouldn't have been enough plates to go around and who felt like washing them them anyway. It really was a great idea, because no one had to run to the store for "necessities" either. I think the gesture of sending anything is what is most important. It doesn't matter whether it is from the deli, or homemade.

Take Care,
Candi

I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I'm sure it was hard to have 2 deaths so close together. Sounds like you did a great job of choosing foods to send. As for other ideas, I really like the paper and plastic idea. Those things go so fast when a crowd decends. Casseroles are always great, since they will keep if you have too much food.

When my father died (a few years ago), one friend came by with a HUGE pan of cinnamon rolls. Seems like no one usually thinks about breakfast. We had lots of food for lunches and dinner and even cakes and pies, but no breakfast foods. A breakfast casserole would be nice if people were there from out of town, too.

Another friend offered to run errands for my mom. She needed to get some new pantyhose, etc. Of course we could have run the errands for her, but it was nice not to have to bother. Sometimes offering services can be a big help, and we appreciated it.

I like to take drinks, since they are often overlooked. Several bottles of pop, a can of coffee and some frozen juice are very helpful when you have a crowd! I think this one is especially good when the food hasn't started arriving yet. People start coming by to talk and the family likes to offer refreshments.

I'm so sorry.

Meals that are frozen that they can reheat when it's most convenient are great. I like to make enchiladas and lasagna. For either, just line a pan with foil that hangs over the edge and assemble the food in it. When it's in there, don't cook it. Just fold over the foil and put it in the freezer. After it's all the way frozen, take it out of the pan and pop the foil wrapped food in a big freezer bag.

Write instructions on the bag to defrost the food in a pan in the refrigerator and then heat in a 350 oven until cheese is bubbly (about 30 minutes).

a loss......we all get together and make some meals so that they don't have to worry coming and going to the funeral. THis past March, I made american chop suey.....very easy for them to warm up.......and Chinese pie......or Shepards pie......depending on your location....different names.....I have gone and bought ready to eat meatballs and add a few jars of spaghetti sauce and get the spaghetti ready and put in tupperware bowls to keep moist.......they have some ready made meals......Also I make a few dozen cupcakes for after the night time visitation .....people can go and visit and have a cup of tea or coffee and some cupcakes....I am so sorry about your friend.......we are all thinking of you

am sorrry for your loss, can't think
of any great ideas but all of the above are wonderful.

Just wanted to let you know someone else is thinking of you during
this difficult time.

Holycow
lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter