R: What's your favorite potato salad recipe?

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
With summer beginning, there's nothing like homemade potato salad to bring to cookouts. I developed my favorite recipe from the Hellmann's mayonnaise recipe they used to print on the labels. I'm always on the look-out for a new potato salad recipe so if you'd like to share your favorite, please do.

My Favorite Potato Salad

2 pounds (6 medium sized) whole potatoes
(Note: Use whatever kind of potatoes you want--adjust the number of potatoes according to their size. The best I've ever used for this salad are Yukon Gold. Idaho works well, too. A lot of people like red-skinned for salad--use 8 or 9 unless they're very big.)
1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and shredded
1 medium onion, diced fine (A sweet one like Vidalia makes it extra special)
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's is the best)
1 Tablespoon good mustard (Grey Poupon is my favorite)
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Finely chopped parsley (optional)

Wash the potatoes well. Put them in a pot and add water to mostly cover them. Add about a teaspoon of salt to water. Cover and bring to a boil, them simmer them, partially covered, for about 30 minutes until tender.

While the potatoes are cooking, shred carrot(s) and clean and chop onion. Set aside. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar and seasonings together in a large plastic bowl. A Tupperware or similar plastic bowl with a sealed lid works well.

Drain the potatoes and cover them in the the pot with cold water. Change the water a few times until the potatoes are cool enough to handle. Scrape away the potato skins and discard them. Cut the potatoes into cubes and add them to the dressing. Mix well. Add the carrot and onion, mix again. Chill the salad well.

Before serving, taste for seasoning; add more salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. You can make this a day in advance. It keeps in the refrigerator for at least 3 days--make sure it's well covered.

Janice - now I'm gonna have to call my mom tonight to see if she has her friend's potato salad recipe. I've never been big on potato salad, but this one was always "it" for me. It is different - having apple and pickle in it, but it is delicous.

I know this is going to sound cheesy, but this is what I do when I "must" make potato salad. I buy the Sam's Club brand, add about 8 sliced/mashed up hard-boiled eggs, yellow mustard, and chopped up sweet pickles to taste. I get all kinds of compliants (correction, I meant compliments) on it.:rolleyes:

This one has been handed down through our family. Everyone loves it and I am always asked to make the potatoe and macaroni salad.

Potatoes about 2 1/2 lbs depending on the size of the crowd you are feeding.
Cider Vinegar
sugar
salt and pepper
celery chopped
eggs 2 or 3 chopped
onions chopped
green pepper chopped
mayonnaise not salad dressing
parsley.

Boil the potatoe with skin one. I always add some salt to the water. Let cool. Peel the skin off and cut either in chucks (small) or whatever way you perfer. Pour about a shot glass of vinegar over the potaotes and mix. Let sit for about a half an hour. Add the celery, onions, green pepper, eggs ( found a good way for chopped eggs. place in egg slicer and slice then turn the other way and slice. Saves alot of time) and parsley. Mix. Sprinkly about 6 to 8 tablespoons of sugar over top and mix. taste. The sugar taste will go away as it sits. I always make mine the night before so it gets really cold. And as I said the sugar taste will go away. If you want some fun. When you place it ina bowl, put on one side parsley and on the other side paprika. Watch the people, they will take from both sides thinking it is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter