Race at the end or start of WDW trip?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I am running Everest in May. Would you recommend doing the race at the start of the trip or the end? Right now I have our room booked for the day before the race, so we can relax and rest and I can be ready for the race, then I can let go for a few days and eat what I want and just chill and vacay.

However, the week before the race, the crowds look to be much lighter. I'm tempted to book the week before instead (it is available) but my kids think I'd just be in pre-race mode and would have less fun, sticking to training mode nutrition-wise, etc.

Do you tend to do your races first, then vacay? Or vacay then race?

Thanks for any tips!

VP

I'm fragile before a race. If I went to the parks before a race, I'd worry about germs, people stepping on my toes, getting bad food, sunburn, too many adult beverages...

AND, you can't wear the shirt if you vacation before the race!

I'm definitely in the race, then vacation camp.

For Everest last year we had like 3 days then race day then another 3 days after and it was good. I would do more days after for sure. Crowds weren't bad last year at that time. So, personally I would stick with what you have 1 day before and more after. It's fun to wear your shirt and medal in the park afterwards.

Thanks! Yes, I was afraid I would be tempted to hold back at La Cava del Tequila if we vacationed first. :) Thanks for the advice! I'm going to leave things as they are and relax about crowds.

VP

I have only run in one race, the Goofy Challenge, so it is not a lot to back my opinion. I ran the races and then stayed in WDW for several days to enjoy the parks with my family. I liked this as I ws able to first focus on the races and then relax and enjoy a vacation. This is how I would do it again in the future.

I think you're overthinking it. Get there a few days early to adjust to the weather & do some park visits. Stay a few days after to enjoy more park visits. Simple as that. :)

DW decided to do the WDW Half on the first day of our vacation so she wouldn't have to worry about saving energy or anything during the rest of the vacation. We took it pretty easy after the race, DTD and such, and she was ready to go the rest of the week.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

If it's down to before or after, I'd vacation after. As others have mentioned, it's nice to have it out of the way for eating and worry free park time, and it's fun having the medal for character pictures in the parks. That's how we did our Goofy trips in 2013 and this year. Our Everest run was (and will be this year) in the middle of a long weekend for us, but that's more about how our schedule works for time off than anything intentional.

I will say for our Disneyland race coming up in November, we're deliberately putting that in the middle of our week so that we can adjust to the time change before running, but still have that park time afterward for wearing our medals. I'd definitely recommend a middle strategy for anyone venturing coast-to-coast.

I'd definitely vote for vacationing afterwards. One, I like to eat Mickey ice cream bars and enjoy all the beers at the different countries in Epcot. Not so good for pre-race meals. Plus, you'll be thankful to walk out the soreness after the races. I must admit though, the few days after the Dopey was tough getting in and out of the rides. Plus, you've got to wear your medal(s) afterwards in the parks and get all the congratS!!!

I've run three runDisney events so far, including the DL 10K, PHM and full Marathon. I'm the opposite of most runners in that I prefer to vacation first and save the race (which I consider to be the best) for last! At WDW, I get to eat healthier than usual (make own choices rather than cooking for my family, and having my kids around forces me to eat an actual breakfast each day.) Walking around the parks is a great way for me to taper before the race without getting antsy. We're living in the midwest, so I really need to adjust to the temperatures and humidity before running. I love the build-up of the expo and everyone arriving for the race. Love seeing all the old race shirts from other events and just anticipating race day. Once it's over, I'm ready to go home. After the PHM last year, we flew home on the same day. After the marathon in January, we flew home early the next morning. But that's just me, and mostly because the highlight is the race. During our spring break trip, I kept saying it's just not the same at Disney without the race. I think my family is tired of hearing what parts of Disney property were on the marathon course. :)

I've done it both ways. I did the ToT at the end of my trip and I did the GSC at the beginning. I highly recommend doing the race at the beginning so you don't have to watch what you eat and aren't tiring yourself out or, as was in my case with ToT, accidentally injure yourself in the parks. I also like that the parks kind of empty out a little after the races.

It is shared above. But I have to agree it is fun to walk around the parks after the races and congratulate all the runners. You feel like you are part of a big running community even he everyone is a stranger. I was proud of my accomplishment but it was more fun to meet people, hear about their race(s), share stories, tips etc. I wsa surprised to see how many people wore their medals for several days past the marathon; it was like an extended post race party with Mickey Premium Bars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter