Rafiki's Planet Watch

Planning a Jan. 2019 trip with a 5 yo and twin two year olds, and we are landing in the desert--so many things closing in late Sept. and new ones not opening til Jan. 18, after the Marathon and after we leave. If RPW closes, the train will probably also be shut down but does anyone have confirmation that the train will not run after October? Have a little boy who now will miss both the WDW and the RPW train rides.

Planning a Jan. 2019 trip with a 5 yo and twin two year olds, and we are landing in the desert--so many things closing in late Sept. and new ones not opening til Jan. 18, after the Marathon and after we leave. If RPW closes, the train will probably also be shut down but does anyone have confirmation that the train will not run after October? Have a little boy who now will miss both the WDW and the RPW train rides.
It will not run. There is no reason for it to run after the building closes to guests. It’s part of the cost savings.

At MK the WDW railroad won’t be running either starting this December however they will have a train parked at the Main Street station and guests can get up close with the train and talk to the conductors and engineers.

Bummer, we have yet to do it and had it in our plans for our November trip. Thanks for the info.

Thank you for your email to the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We truly appreciate you choosing us as your vacation destination. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment you’ve experienced with the announcement that Rafiki’s Planet Watch, including the Conservation Station, will be closing October 20, 2018. Specific details regarding any potential relocations have not yet been announced. Please be assured, that our world-class animal care will continue behind the scenes our dedicated team of animal care experts and veterinarians will remain focused on providing quality care.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to contact us. Please know, you will receive a survey within the next 24 hours regarding the service you received today.

Sincerely,

Marlana Marwan
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-828-1201

...I was asking about the Donkeys. I'm not too worried anymore since Tim Tracker's video showed that they have two Donkey instead of just one.

I still figure that they must have actual plans for the area, even if they are a bit down the road. I could see them closing it up now to save on operating costs, but then make major changes. It's never that crowded, which is kinda nice, but also I get that Disney would see it as underutilized. I think it does need to be accessible on-foot as that will increase traffic. A lot of people don't want to wait for the train, you know? I'm not sure how that could be managed. Anyway, I do hope that whatever new version we get, that the veterinary facilities stay and are in-view of guests.

Never went to this attraction due to not really knowing about it. This year I was going to due to the fact isnt that where there was a Doc McStuffins M&G? Has there been any talk as to where that will be moved to or is it just done?

Never went to this attraction due to not really knowing about it. This year I was going to due to the fact isnt that where there was a Doc McStuffins M&G? Has there been any talk as to where that will be moved to or is it just done?

She's at Disney Hollywood Studios in the animation courtyard and I think she's still a part of the breakfast at Hollywood and Vine.

They haven't mentioned moving any of the meet and greets at Rafiki's Planet Watch, but Rafiki will be part of a new dance party.

Have the Hollywood and Vine breakfast booked, just thinking that there at AK the M&G's arent as rushed, due to lower crowd

Have the Hollywood and Vine breakfast booked, just thinking that there at AK the M&G's arent as rushed, due to lower crowd

we've had some really good ones at the animation courtyard with Doc there - one time there was like no one on line so she came out of her area and got my son and brought him back and they had a little dance party,e tc.

When I worked at DAK we were encouraged to tell guests about Rafiki's to get them to visit. It was never very crowded, so I'm not surprised it's closing. I just hope they cool off on all the new land additions for a while.

“Starting October 21, Rafiki’s Planet Watch and Wildlife Express will not be available to Guests. We anticipate reopening Rafiki’s Planet Watch and Wildlife Express for Guests in Spring 2019, with more details to come. In the meantime, we will be taking a closer look at the offering to determine what would be most meaningful to our Guests as well as what fits best within the overall park experience.”

Of course I'm thrilled - I love Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station - but I'm surprised at this turn of events. Were they testing the waters and decided against it after all? It seems odd to announce a permanent closure to everyone including the cast members (who must have been devastated, I never met a more dedicated group of people) only to say it's going to reopen a few months later. I just hope they keep it. I posted this on Twitter as well but I'll say it again - I think the place is an essential part of their AZA accreditation (I could be totally wrong, this is pure speculation on my part).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!