Rain question

We've used ponchos, but this time Im bringing umbrellas. We've tried the small, dollar ponchos from walmart- (two small to do much) and the disney ponchos ( better coverage)- but when we fold them up to put in a bag, the inside gets wet too! Thats obviously not helpful. Plus, when we get back to the resort we have them hanging to dry, and they don't....
We've had some rough rain on our trips! I would imagine for a small shower it won't matter much, but we've had hours of downpours and all day rain days.

We've had this same problem, the ponchos are convenient, but once the rain stops then they're sopping wet. We did spend the money on the Disney ones last trip so I'm bringing them again for our late August/early Sept trip coming up, but I'm going to bring ziploc bags because otherwise it's just a mess. And you're right, they don't hang dry well in the humidity at all. Or at least, ours didn't!

Personally, don't bring anything. Did a week in August a few years back, had short showers daily but just found a place to hide for a bit.

Is it worth bringing our raincoats versus using ponchos? We have nice raincoats (with the unzipable armpits for ventilation) for all of us except the littlest one who will be in his stroller with a rain cover if needed. I'm not adverse to getting rained on a little bit either but I'd hate to get caught in an absolute downpour.

Go to the Dollar store and buy like 2 of the really small compact ponchos. The ones I've seen can fit in the front pocket of jeans.

Use them and dispose.

Or do what we did at Universal one year and when the rain threatened, ask an employee for a garbage bag. Instant disposable poncho.

Is it worth bringing our raincoats versus using ponchos? We have nice raincoats (with the unzipable armpits for ventilation) for all of us except the littlest one who will be in his stroller with a rain cover if needed. I'm not adverse to getting rained on a little bit either but I'd hate to get caught in an absolute downpour.

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't hurt to bring them with you. Especially if they compress down really small.

I'd like to avoid using and throwing out ponchos if we already have raincoats that work. I'm not overly worried about how much space they take up - they compress a lot and we already have to bring a backpack as the 3 year old is newly potty trained.

We think it is, but I haven’t seen many people besides us wearing them in the parks, so you wouldn’t be out of place in the ponchos either.

I’m just not a huge fan of ponchos. They tear easily, and seem more bulky and awkward to wear. I like them ok when they are dry and folded nicely up, but after first use, I always feel like I have this big ball of wadded up plastic to deal with. With rain jackets, you do have something extra to carry, but once wet, they seem more manageable to me. Also, a jacket is easy to simply tie around the waste when not in use.

If I know it will be raining off and on during my trip, I like my nice long rain jacket. If I only need something just in case, I’ll pack a poncho. So during rainy season like right now, when rain is pretty much a given every day, I take my rain jacket. When it’s dry season and no rain is forecasted, I’ll pack only the poncho.

Speaking of rain, we're heading down to WDW for 11 days starting Sunday, and EVERY single day says 60% chance of Scattered Thunderstorms in the forecast. I'm prepared enough for rain I think, but should I be expecting a fair amount of washouts? or just a 20-30 minute shower per day?

I think it usually means just a quick thunderstorm or so in the afternoon.

"Scattered Thunderstorms" is pretty much the normal forecast this time of year. Tend to have quick downpours mid to late PM, and it can literally be raining in one park and not a drop in another.

We've seen this often, have been going late August to early September for years. If rain looks to last most parks have some good places to spend time in for a while. AK has the fewest options, HS fair but not too many, MK and Epcot both have lots of places to spend some time.

Honestly, with the heat and the storms, afternoons are the perfect time to take a break back at your resort. This past July/August was the first time we did this (first summer trip tho too) and would do it again. Helps keep you refreshed and ready to go.

The only time we had rain last for, well, actually hours, was Easter week a couple years back. It was a very rainy week in general, but one day my family wanted to go to Disney Springs (which I'm not a fan of anymore as I hate shopping), and it rained all day.

I've been late August many times, and rain comes down torrential, yes, sideways, but doesn't last. So we just duck in (hopefully if it's the afternoon, somewhere with a bar, LOL), and wait it out! Then it cools things down. It's not often very long that it rains at all. We find the pavillions in Epcot especially good places, especially The Land or the Living Seas, as there is so much to do. We've been in the land a couple hours sometimes and found out it had poured while in there. Bonus is that there is Sunshine Seasons to grab a snack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter