Rain worries

Tinkerfan2005

Earning My Ears
We leave next week for Disney. I have been watching the weather and it says rain both our park days. Any brand of poncho I should be looking for? Will rain cancel the evening fireworks/projection shows? Do the roller coasters shut down when it rains? Thanks in advance. This will be my first time in Florida in the summer.

You're still a week out so the forecast can still change. Lightning is what you need to worry about, that's what closes the outdoor rides and cancels the shows. It rains pretty much every day this time of year and it's not something you really need to overly concern yourself with, especially because there's plenty to do even in the rain. Just know it usually clears up pretty quickly and doesn't normally last all day. Also don't buy your ponchos in the park, they're overpriced.

We had 2 days in the park last week and both showed rain. Our 1st day, it was cloudy but no rain until we were within blocks of the MK. The sky opened up for all of 3 minutes and was down to a drizzle by the time we hit security. Day 2 was a bit heavier, but was over within 30 minutes. If it comes in, it typically doesn't last long.

lot can change in a week when it comes to weather. This time of year, as others have said, it will rain almost everyday. Nothing to worry about most days. Quick afternoon storm, wait it out, it will clear. I would just get some disposable lightweight ponchos before you leave. Be prepared, be flexible, but don't stress about it.

For ponchos you can buy disposable ones, or a more durable one that you can reuse. The problem with that is storing it after it is done raining, and folding it back into your bag/backpack (could be a little bulky). We also brought smaller umbrellas that we left in our backpacks. In addition, be aware of your feet getting soaked if you wear sneakers. We also brought flip flops in our backpacks to change into in case it started raining to save the hassle of wet shoes. Mentally prepare for the rain, that way you aren't disappointed or unprepared. As far as rides, I believe the roller coasters may go offline so have a backup plan which includes checking out the indoor attractions. This may involve modifying your FP's and adapting as you go.

Last edited:
We leave next week for Disney. I have been watching the weather and it says rain both our park days. Any brand of poncho I should be looking for? Will rain cancel the evening fireworks/projection shows? Do the roller coasters shut down when it rains? Thanks in advance. This will be my first time in Florida in the summer.
How was the rain

Last year we didn't even need to use the ponchos but in 2017, we used them once at the parks. It rained during our mid day break a couple days but was over by the time we wanted to head back to the parks. One day I thought for sure we were done for the day it was raining so hard and was so dark but 45 minutes later it was clear and sunny.

Last year we didn't even need to use the ponchos but in 2017, we used them once at the parks. It rained during our mid day break a couple days but was over by the time we wanted to head back to the parks. One day I thought for sure we were done for the day it was raining so hard and was so dark but 45 minutes later it was clear and sunny.
Oh thats great, i hope we have the same luck

We got our ponchos at target, they aren't expensive. Last year we had them with us everyday, but I think we used them once in 12 days. We were there in September. Several years ago when my husband and I went alone we got caught in a huge down poor at WS in Epcot. But we ran in to Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar in Italy and had a nice glass of wine and a cheese board. The rain actually created a very romantic get away for an hour! We love the rain, having lived in the Mojove Desert for much of my husbands military career we don't take it for granted.

We got our ponchos at Walmart. Rains don’t last long. We waited once when Everest was stopped for lightening. It opened up 30 to 45 min later and we got to ride 5 times in a row cuz everyone left. One of the most magical Disney memory ever !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter