Rain?

m3chrisCartoys#1

Earning My Ears
Curious to how much rain you get there daily? I see 9 of 10 days with rain in the forecast. Seems like that could ruin a trip there.

Thanks for any insight.

That sounds accurate. Try to plan your day accordingly like doing outdoor rides first thing if you can. It's not a matter of if there is rain it's when there's rain. But it won't ruin a trip if you don't let it. Some cavalcades even have rain versions (the characters in one of the MK ones appeared in a covered car instead of on foot) and CMs at outdoor rides will inform you if the imminent weather is posing a threat to the attraction staying open. Beat the crowds over to indoor rides if you can so the wait is minimal to get in. There are ways around the rain, just keep an eye on your weather app and MDE and you should be fine.

It's not the rain, but the lightning storms you have to plan around. Anything that is outdoors will shut down when there is lightning in the area (i.e., every afternoon). Things will usually re-open, but you can expect a healthy down time on SDD and TT in particular. Just do those first, then head to the indoor rides and attractions in the PM.

As for the rain, it is accompanied by cooler temps. You;'ll find yourself looking forward to it.

We went Sept 2018 - 11 days - it didn't rain daily but I'd say we had around 7 days with rain. Of those 7 though, only 2 days had really significant rain where it rained for more than an hour and there was lightening. Most days it would rain for a few minutes and stop. So if you popped into a shop or on a ride by the time you got out the rain was done.

We were there for 3 days in 2019 in June and had no rain.

I used to worry about this, but don’t anymore. I simply carry a small backpack with ponchos for the family (less weight than umbrellas and not as bulky).

The rain can actually be a welcome relief if you go in the summer like we usually do. It cools things off and clears out the crowds. One year we went in August and it didn’t rain all week. It was hot, dry, and dusty. Then it rained two days in a row, and we were glad to have it. One thing that helps is that the rain is usually very intense (usually in mid-afternoon), but short. It usually lasts about 30 minutes, and rarely for more than an hour. Usually we can time it so that we’re in an inside attraction when it hits—we’ve only been stranded a few times where the rain was so intense that we had to wait it out (usually in Epcot for some reason).

P.S. The pools and water parks are usually a bad place to be in the rain, because Florida rain storms are usually accompanied by lightning, and if there is lightning within a certain distance they will shut down the pools and water attractions.

Coming this Thursday. Bringing a couple collapseable umbrellas I guess, and hoping for the best and short periods of rain.

We have been going to WDW since the early 1980s and I can honestly say I have never been on a trip when it didn't rain for at least 1/2 hour at least once during the trip. We have been just about every month of the year, I don't think we've been in Feb. but that's it and it's rained at least once. We just go with it. We always have some sort of rain gear on our person, either an umbrella if it looks like light rain all day, a cheap poncho if the forecast calls for no rain, a rain jacket if it looks like there are going to be gully washers. No big deal to carry something, cheap poncho fits in a pocket, umbrella attaches to belt loop, rain jacket folds up and drapes around waist. We also take at least 3 pairs of shoes, all of which are semi-weather proof. I can't wear close toed shoes so even in the winter I have some sort of sandal or skeetcher cloth slip ons.

Landed today. The seven day forecast looks decent most days. 5/10 no rain... For now. I don't mind a shower here and there but I come from Seattle and it rains, and rains, then rains some more. Hoping for no days of lengthy rain. Here's to a great trip and some time in my happy place.

As to rain, well it's Florida and during most of the year it rains in the afternoon, Just have comfortable shoes which don't care about water I always recommend hiking shoes with ankle supports as well as clothing which dries quickly (coolmax and other technical fibers are good here as is plain ol cotton) Add a decent poncho and learn to enjoy the rain its usually warm rain so its actually quite nice

Another welcome side effect is the rain sends many people scurrying back to the resorts so the lines clear out for attractions.

One of our best weeks at WDW was when a hurricane was far offshore rained all day for 4 solid days, we could ride all the rides we wanted because people let the rain keep them inside so we had the parks to ourselves and a few other hardy folks. during those days I dont think I ever saw a wait time go over 10 minutes.

Landed today. The seven day forecast looks decent most days. 5/10 no rain... For now. I don't mind a shower here and there but I come from Seattle and it rains, and rains, then rains some more. Hoping for no days of lengthy rain. Here's to a great trip and some time in my happy place.

Well there is rain, And there is Seattle rain which is like a physical thing which settles in and takes over... Been to seattle many times during rainy season and wonder how the residents dont go crazy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter