Rank your favorite Resorts and Tell Why...

DancesWithCats

Earning My Ears
I would like to start a thread about favorite resorts. It would be nice to know the opinions of all of you, and why you love your favorites.

1. My favorite resort is our home resort, GFV. I walk in, and say wow! I feel like I have arrived, and it just make me in a good mood the whole time. It doesn't matter what room you have, the views are stunning. The furnishings, and the shower are like a beautiful spa. Being on the monorail is a plus. I love it all.

2. My second favorite resort is the AKL. Again, I walk in, and feel in awe. I love the fire place/pits inside and out, and the rocking chairs, and the lobby, and the animals. I was considering selling off our DVC points until I walked into the AKL. I still say this resort is the resort that saved our vacations. I wish I could live there full time.

So, what about you?

I've only stayed at AKV, BW, BC, and SSR and I'd rank them:

1. Beach Club - Pretty much a tie with BW but BC gets an edge because the rooms we had were a little more updated and clean. Location makes these my favorites. Don't like using the buses so being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios is a major plus. Can also get to Magic Kingdom without a bus.
2. BoardWalk
3. Kidani - Favorite resort by itself, but the location drops it below the others. If we did a no park trip, would probably choose AKV. It's our home resort.

4. Saratoga Springs - Did not like our stay here. Maybe we just got a bad location but we were constantly lost, couldn't find boat transport to Disney Springs, very long walk to pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. Room was pretty outdated. Would only stay here again if we planned to rent a car.

1. BLT for location and size of the villas. We have 4 kids so the 2 bedroom gives us the 3rd bathroom and big living room which is key. Our kids really love MK and EPCOT so being close to those parks is a priority. I'm ok with the theme but not wowed by it.
2. BWV especially if it's a parent only trip. Love the BW location and being able to go for morning runs on the boardwalk. Walking distance to two parks and lots of dining options.
3. AKV though the location really frustrated us last time having to take buses everywhere. Being a vet, I love watching the animals outside and the theme of the resort. Just wish it weren't so far and that we didn't always get stuck in the farthest room from the lobby.
4/5/6/7- SSR, BCV, WL, and OKW are a tie. I love to stay at any of them but they're not where we want to stay based on villa size or location.

Bottom line is we are pretty much thrilled to stay at any and all of the resorts. A lot depends on what our plans are and if it's an adult only or kids trip.

I'm certain you'll find the majority who respond will claim their home resort as the best. . .which makes complete sense. In my case, that would make VWL my favorite resort. I first visited there about a dozen years ago, paying OOP, but I fell in love with it the moment I stepped into the magnificent lobby. On to my list. . .

VWL: The awe-inspiring main lobby, the woodsy scents, the majestic music, the ability to find tranquility at a major resort, the flickering lanterns and chirruping crickets at night, the boat ride to MK, the walk to FW, Artist Point--these are but a few reasons why it's my home away from home. (I haven't stayed at the new Copper Creek section yet, so I don't include it as part of the list.)
VGC: Sister resort to VWL, it's gorgeous. The lobby isn't as awe-inspiring, but the similar Shaker style architecture reminds me of WL. The rooms are perhaps the best-themed and attractive of any DVC resort, retaining the feel of a grand hotel without compromising the quality of the furnishings. It's location is the best: steps from CA (it even has a private entrance for VGC guests) and out another entrance you step immediately into Downtown Disney. It's luxurious but without the occasional pretentiousness one encounters at VGF.
BLT: Tough call between here and VGF, but the proximity to MK wins out. While I'm not a huge fan of the decor, I will admit it fits the sleek image of CR, in general. The extra bathrooms in the 1BR & 2BR units are a very nice feature. Views from the interior of the U actually are quite lovely as you can see the lake and EWP. Naturally, easy access to the monorail also is a plus, along with the ability to quickly hop up to TOWL for the fireworks show.
VGF: Beautiful resort with monorail access. Easy walk to Poly. Furnishings are lovely, but wasn't a fan of the studio setup. They took away storage space to split the bathroom. Felt plush but crowded in the room. Naturally, shopping and dining avenues are plentiful there.

For the others at which I've stayed, here is my rank order. I don't dislike any of them, but there are fewer things to appreciate the further down the list one goes:
AKV - Beautiful, relaxing, nicely furnished rooms, love Sanaa & Jiko
HHI - Hard to beat the location unless it was right on the beach; best CMs anywhere
BCV - Proximity to two parks and eateries
Poly - Pretty; access to monorail
OKW - Quiet and has larger rooms
SSR - Close to Disney Springs

BWV probably because we travel without children and it is definitely a bit more adult. Plus as others say the accessibility to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, the great running paths, walk to miniature golf, restaurants, and night activities. That being said, I also love VWL & AKV. I also have a contract at Vero and I notice that Vero is like the bastard child nobody mentions. I love Vero Beach. My best trips are going to BWV then resting at Vero then back to BWV.

Tough to make a definite list, so much depends on the trip - who's going, how many, time of year, etc.

BWV - location has walking and boat access to parks, room selections, BW view is great. Location also means lots of dining options.
POLY - lake view is lovely, favorite studios with extra bathroom. Beautiful resort, monorail access.
AKL Jambo - most beautiful lobby, animals from the balcony? Come on! Dining variety.
BLT - walk to MK, fireworks on the roof then bed. I like that you can't see the kitchen area from the bed.
OKW - huge rooms, parking ease, boat to DS. Feels like a neighborhood
BC - walk to Epcot, easy parking
WL - pretty resort, smallish rooms though. Just not us.
SSR - no.

Have not stayed at Kidani but it looks nice. First GF stay coming up in a couple of months. Have stayed at the hotel but not DVC. Excited!

Wilderness...the ambiance, the decorations at Christmas, the pools, artist point and the proximity to MK

OKW...the pool, tennis courts, activities, staff, boat ride to Disney springs and Olivia’s

Boardwalk...the boardwalk itself, close to two parks, restaurants

AK...the club level in Jambo House, Sanii, and animals

Bay lake...location and the upstairs lounge for fireworks, plus the two bathrooms in a one bedroom suite

Vero beach...the pool, activities and beach and the three bedroom ocean front cottage

Aulani is probably #1 for us. No explanation needed- it's Hawaii.

As far as WDW, I'd choose CCV at WL as my top for the scenery, Geyser Point, and lobby.

AKV is also a favorite for the animals, architecture, Boma, and Sanaa.

We just stayed at the Poly and loved the pools, renting a pontoon boat, Captain Cooks, Ohana, and Kona Cafe.

We've also very much enjoyed stays at OKW and SSR for their more laid-back, relaxing vibe.

THV was great for a non-park stay.

Did a one-night stay at BLT and enjoyed easy access to TOTWL (although we go there when we stay at other resorts also). DD loves the contemporary feel of BLT, but it's not my favorite. We got a side MK view with a lake view room, so that was nice.

Haven't stayed at BCV, BWV, or GFV.

The ones we've stayed at....

BWV/BCV tops for location (can walk to 2 parks, Epcot is our fave)....HH is tops for great beach trip and great CMs

VWL/AKV are mid rating for theme and BLT is too because you can walk to a park

OKW/SSR is on bottom because theme is meh and can't walk to a park...VB is bottom because too remote, not enough to do

**** Not yet stayed at VGF or Poly (will be staying at Poly in a few days and will come update my post)

Last edited:
We've stayed at all but BCV, BWV, GCV, and HHI, so here is our rankings (though all good!):

1a) GFV

Gone back and forth on this, but we are currently in a 2-Bdrm at GFV and hands down, this is the best DVC unit we've stayed in. GFV is just fantastic. I've stayed at the main hotel and quite honestly feel that the Villas are better. Top notch for DVC. Springing for a 1 or 2 Bdrm is worth it! Studios are very nice as well, but storage is challenging. We've done NYE here twice and the view from the pier is tremendous. Also, only drawback... don't get one of the dreaded "Porte Cochere" views...

1b) Aulani

Aulani is an amazing resort and is every bit the equal of GFV in most respects. Maybe GFV is more "luxurious", but Aulani is fantastic and fits the island perfectly. We've been twice and I remember our first trip we had a big schedule for doing a lot on the island as I had never been to Hawaii and as great as a lot of that was, we found ourselves not wanting to leave the resort. We find that a 1 or 2 bedroom here is a must as we cook in the room more often than any of the other DVC properties.

2) Polynesian

We really like the studios here, better even than the studios ar GFV. I think they learned on the layout. Also enjoy the laid back feeling of the resort. On site Dole Whips never hurt either!

3) Bay Lake Tower

Have only stayed in studios here, but the location is great! Also, even though the studios are small, the layout is very efficient. Also, you can't beat TOTWL for fireworks viewing, especially on 12/30 or 12/31!

4) Treehouses

I put this separate from SSR as I think the furnishings are a cut above. This is a great place to get a group of people and get away for a couple of days. On the downside, I wouldn't stay here without a car and proximity to pools and mug refill is not great. It's "bring your own Diet Coke" here...

5) Villas at Wilderness Lodge

Stayed at BRV part. Really liked it. Thought that maybe the separate building would be an issue, but it was really relaxing and well done.

6) Saratoga Springs

I know that a lot of people dislike it for various reasons. Yes, it's huge, it's somewhat out of the way, it's got exterior corridors, it needs a refreshing... all that is true, however, I really don't mind staying there. SSR has really good pools and the proximity to Disney Springs is great, especially with the recent changes to parking and transport. This resort is even better once one figures out how to utilize the Disney bus system as an internal transport system...

7) Vero Beach

I would rank this higher as we love the resort and pool. However, everything is just a little too far away. Would like to stay in a beach cottage one day though...

8) Old Key West

Nothing against OKW, it's just not my favorite. I do like how big the 1 and 2 bdrm units are. However, it just seems to me that the resort doesn't have a good "flow" to it.

Note: Hard to believe that we've been members for almost 11 years and we still haven't stayed at BWV or BCV. Really hope to try those someday. I'd also love to try GCV (if I could ever get in!)

I will start by saying we only book studios, don’t need or want a kitchen, etc. For this reason Poly is my favorite because of the size of the studios and the 2 showers. Location and the fact that it’s the kids favorite pool is bonus. Jambo we only stayed one night, but are revisiting CL in April and is a close runner up to the poly. Stayed at kidani- one and done for the fact that we needed the counter service more than we wanted to admit. OKW was very dated, so I will revisit once renovations are done. I’m one of the few who has no interest in VGF or BWV, so can’t weigh in there. Visited BCV and not really interested in that either, but maybe someday. I do want to try BRV, and BLT but would need to spring for a 1 bedroom at BLT since the size of studios is so small.

1) CCV / BRV - Beautiful property, great themes, love Geyser Point. Easy access to Ft. Wilderness, Contemporary Resort, and MK.
2) OKW - Larger, more comfortable rooms, more of a condo feel than a hotel, and seems very "Florida" to me. Very convenient and easy parking in front of the rooms.
3) AKL Jambo / Kidani - animals, animals, animals! Wonderful themes here as well.

The ones we've stayed at....

BWV/BCV tops for location (can walk to 2 parks, Epcot is our fave)....HH is tops for great beach trip and great CMs

VWL/AKV are mid rating for theme and BLT is too because you can walk to a park

OKW/SSR is on bottom because theme is meh and can't walk to a park...VB is bottom because too remote, not enough to do

**** Not yet stayed at VGF or Poly (will be staying at Poly in ages days and will come update my post)
Okay...just checked out of Poly today.

BCV/BWV are the top rated for us. A+

Then AKV and VWL. A-

We also like hotel feel where rooms are inside off of lobby...not a motel feel where you have seperate buildings with outside entering to room.

Then OKW ( we just stayed there too...right before Poly). Close to Epcot. B

Then others....BLT, Poly, VGF. Not interested in MK area. And SSR is this rating too. B-

They are all good decent choices but we prefer to stick with our A+ places as often as possible.

Last edited:
Short answers, but ranked by how often we book each resort:
AKV - Great views and different food.
BCV - Walk to EPCOT/MGM.
BLT - Monorail.
BWV - Like decor and ditto BCV.
BRV (VWL) - Woodlands feel, walk to FWC.
SSR - Walking to DS (DTD).
OKW - My 2nd home, most room.
VB - Different feel than WDW resorts.
HH - Area history and golf courses.
PVB - Love the rain shower.

Edited for the whys.

#1 VGC - Location!! Gate into DCA! Strorytellers, Napa Rose, the bar, Pool, DTD, arts and craft theme. Love it all! Will likely buy here eventually. 2bed, 1bed, studio

#2 VGF-( home resort) Grandeur! Theme, spa, salon, basin, mizners, narcoosee’s, walk to Poly, lightness in rooms, bathtubs, golf, monorail 2 bed

#3 Aulani- (home resort) authenticity, magic at night, incredible energy, well planned rooms, gorgeous views in Many categories, Golf, best spa ever, salon, location on island, makahiki breakfast, ama ama breakfast, concessions offerings, kids fave
I’d give them all a tie for first if that were the game. 2bed, 1bed, studio

#4 BCV- j’adore! Love the refresh. So calm. Walk to World Showcase is everything! 1 bed

#5 Poly- great energy! Ohana!!! Dole whips, the lush grounds, the spacious rooms albeit way too dark, proximity to TTC and monorail, walk to VGF. Studio

#6 BLT- rooms are so spacious and have a great modern feel. Layout is open. Walk to MK! Cali Grill!! TOWL. Windows were FILTHY when we went and the buildings feel disjointed. But kids really loved the rooms and walk! Def would do again. 1 bed

#7 SSR- sprawling and quiet. Walk to DS which is now amazing! Golf. Pretty beat up on the interior. After refresh, I’ll be happy to stay at SSR on short notice. 1 bed

#8 AKV- animals!! Boma, Jiko. Kids loved the animals but we did not like the resort and would likely not stay there again. Soooo far to everything we like to do, rooms are dark and we just weren’t feeling it. 1 bed

If I had to buy, that would be my order.

On our list still to do:
CCV cabins and BWV

What’s great to see is that I ADORE the top 5 and really liked 6. What a great program! We are the lucky ones!

Last edited:
So far, I have stayed at VGF, Poly, and AKL (both Jambo and Kidani).
I would rank them VGF, AKL, Poly.

VGF is a resort that I would be happy to visit if there were no theme parks in the area. Sometimes my grown children will come for a week and only buy a one or two day park ticket.

AKL is a different experience. If I had to describe AKL with one word, it would be “peaceful”. The animal views and the quietness of the resort makes me feel connected to the planet and a to have great feeling of peace. We love watching the giraffes and zebras.

Poly is a great resort, convenient to the monorail, the ferry boat, and the Epcot monorail. My only downsides for Poly are 1) you are going to be doing a lot of walking outside if it is a rainy day, and 2) lack of 1 and 2 bedrooms. But the studio rooms are spacious and it has a great vibe.

Poly--the theming, restaurants, walkability, view
Beach Club--Stormalong Bay is the best pool on any property (except Aulani), walk to Epcot
Animal Kingdom--such a huge WOW factor when you walk into the lobby. Savannah view rooms are exceptional. Best club level of all resorts too. We always have a car and drive ourselves to other resorts and parks so no issue with busses. We never mess with the busses. Sounds like nothing but a mess so we avoid it.

We have not stayed at OKW or SSR
Favorite is a tie between Poly and BLT
The theming at Poly big studios, monorail to TCC and MK are huge pluses. Just absolutely loved the DVC pool here.
Can't beat BLT for proximity to MK, TOTWL, huge 1 bedrooms that have 3 sleeping areas. With teenage children that won't sleep on the same bed it's key.
VWL is amazing for boat ride to MK and theming. Love Geysers Point.
BCV is beautiful love the theming and walking to Epcot.
AKL is just jaw dropping lobby. Loved Jambo would not like Kidani

1) Boardwalk Villas (Home resort)

Theming, location, numerous restaurants and activities. I love that I can walk to Epcot or HS and don’t have to wait to get on a crowded bus.

2) Villas at Wilderness Lodge/Boulder Ridge Villas

I’m a country girl and I like the rustic feel to it.

3) Villas at the Grand Floridian

I’ve only stayed in a 1 bedroom but this room was simply awesome.

3) Saratoga Springs (Home resort)

I know most people don’t like this resort but I actually like it. My father was a jockey and when I see the winner’s circle statue and the jockey silks in the Turf Club it brings back memories of my dad and when I was a kid.

4) Beach Club

Location, location, location

5) Animal Kingdom Lodge

This is my DS favorite. If it were up to him we would always stay here (doesn’t matter which side). He loves the animals and I like the restaurants but I’m not a fan of the location.

6) Shades of Green

Ok, I know this isn’t a DVC resort but we are a a military family and always add a few extra days at the SoG to our trips. We really love the location and the feeling of comradery. If I run out of points I will book a trip to stay here.

We've stayed at all but BCV, BWV, GCV, and HHI, so here is our rankings (though all good!):

You forgot to say where HHI falls. That's our #1 resort anytime, anywhere. I've stayed at AKV (both Jambo and Kidani), OKW, SSR, BWV, BCV, and VWL/BRV. It's virtually impossible for me to rank them because, as a PP said, so much depends on the time of year, purpose of visit, make up of traveling party, etc. All I can say is that HHI is #1 and SSR is last for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!