"RapidFill" RFID refillable mugs coming back resort wide...

Haven't seen a list assembled but I think we are close to all live.. which one are you interested in?

As far as I'm concerned it is just a rumor (I have yet to see any reliable evidence), but the rumor goes that Coke provides all the syrup for the sodas for free, but gets most if not all of the sales price of all the bottles of soda sold on the resort in exchange.

The arrangement doesn't really matter, as there are other costs to consider, not just the syrup, and Disney can decide the price and rules.

As far as I'm concerned it is just a rumor (I have yet to see any reliable evidence), but the rumor goes that Coke provides all the syrup for the sodas for free, but gets most if not all of the sales price of all the bottles of soda sold on the resort in exchange.

The arrangement doesn't really matter, as there are other costs to consider, not just the syrup, and Disney can decide the price and rules.

It's a bit of an urban myth what the cost of coke is...

But I think we all can accept that there is an advantageous relationship there that probably severely limits the cost for Disney in return for some concession for coca cola...
Right?

Coke isn't giving it away for " free" to Disney... But they are also not strong arming them into paying 50'cents a cup...

But...does that matter? the whole point of the Id mugs is to squeeze the Margins a little...is it not?

There is no "rampant" refill problem where barrel upon barrel of mr. PIbb is being smuggled out of all stars and trucked back to Alabama with a 1996 Caribbean beach mug...you're nuts if you think the reuse or abuse of self service islands is more than a nickel in the grand scheme of things.

What it does do is limit overhead by locking out that margin and limiting use across the board by putting in a timelock...on the old "all you can drink " plan.

You can have your opinion on that... But mine is that it's low rent, budget, ghetto... Whatever you want to call it. And embarrassing to disney.

Well it doesn't really matter if its am myth or not. I have a great friend who has worked for coke nearly 30 years. He has told me me places like McDonalds pays for things like syrup. But crazy discount. Any way it cost McDonalds about $0.11 for a large soda. That is everything cup, ice , co2, and product. That being said disney isn't paying much more that if any thing at all. Bottles and stuff like that Disney probably does pay something for that.

The point I think I am trying to make is that they are a public company trying to make money. If they can get the most profit off a very willing consumer then they will.

I have been one who complains about Disney charging more and more. Nickel and dimming us to death. But we all keep going back time and time again. You have to make a choice when will enough be enough. But for me in the end I would say I'm going to keep on coming back to Disney. Unless they never make any improvements. I believe for some guest that this could really upset them but I also believe that they just want to end people who bring there old mugs back and not paying for the product to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

To add. I have been reading current reviews of restaurants. I haven't ate at the LTT since I was a kid so I thought I'd look into it. I read very mixed reviews either really bad or really good. There are lines out the doors for that place even if the food is the worst food ever. But if people keep coming in droves why would they change or improve the menu.

One resounding thought rang in so so true to me. Disney is a corporation. In the business to make profits. Dancing that line to keep people paying a premium for they're product. If they can get us to pay that premium without a loss of people boycotting said product. Then they will charge what ever the market will bear.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

But mine is that it's low rent, budget, ghetto... Whatever you want to call it. And embarrassing to disney.

My opinion is the guests who used old mugs, big "gulp" mugs.....are the people who are low rent, budget and ghetto.

This isn't any different then the theft control stuff used in stores to reduce shoplifting. Some people think they're "low rent, budget and ghetto"

My opinion. Given the price Disney is able to charge and the nominal cost of soda, Disney could give every guest a mug validated for their length of stay. Disney wants guests buying the food plan, those guests get a mug. I guess Disney thinks that's enough. Many hotels offer complimentary coffee 24/7. Some boutique hotels have a machine and offer complimentary espresso drinks 24/7. Many of those hotels have resort fees.

My opinion. I saw a significant number of guests using "wrong" mugs. Look at the threads on the various internet forums. Disney wouldn't be making the change if the number of "cheaters" was insignificant.

Can this be a positive? RFID control might make it easier for Disney to justify placing machines in areas not under the watchful eye of CMs. Maybe a machine by a quiet pool?

My opinion. What Disney pays for the soda is completely irrelevant. The cost to Disney and the price Disney chooses to, and is able to, charge don't necessarily have any relationship. Disney increases the cost for parking. How much of that money is necessary to pay the CMs taking your money and to maintain the asphalt. What is Disney's incremental cost for a guest who park hops? Park to park buses are rarely full. I guess the cost would be the fuel required to transport the weight of the guests who use Disney transportation to park hop.

A greater percentage of guests will now only get soda if they're paying for it. Sounds fair to me. Some of us thought the old system was "only schmucks pay for soda"

I have a bigger issue with the DDP and ADR system (including no show fees)

I'm surprised this thread is still up and running. Everything has been said multiple times....

popcorn::

Every thing said, but my question is has OKW switched over to new mug program yet ? Won't be down till end of Oct but just wondering. We are not on dinning plan just the normal 2 weeks at home.

It would be great to have clarification what resorts have the mugs and if the mugs will work for two different, but consecutive resort stays. I have had conflicting answers from Disney Dining versus DVC. We are staying 14 days at Christmas starting at AKV and ending at SSR.

It would be great to have clarification what resorts have the mugs and if the mugs will work for two different, but consecutive resort stays. I have had conflicting answers from Disney Dining versus DVC. We are staying 14 days at Christmas starting at AKV and ending at SSR.

Under the terms of purchase of the NEW mugs, if you buy length of stay, you get length of stay, and they say it is good across resorts as part of that stay. So if AKV has the new mugs (I am not certain of that yet), regardless of whether the fountains are active for RFID or not yet, and regardless if SSR is using the new mugs yet, they are still good there.

If, on the other hand, you purchase the old mug first, at the old price, it is the old rules - only good at the resort you purchased it at.

I should put together a list of resorts selling the new mugs, and actively using RFID...if you have updates, PM me or post here, and I'll put it together. Let me know the date you knew it to be true as well (for instance, I know CBR was selling the mugs around 8/19, but not using RFID yet...)

I feel your pain...

The reason you get conflicting answers is that Disney has a ton of employees and does a TERRIBLE job of training/ spreading new information on products and changes to policy.

It's a meat market environment that always just manages to slide along

doconeill -

BYC & BCV went live on 8/19, I was there
AKL & AKV went live around Sep. 9
BWI & BWV was live went I stopped in on 8/30.

doconeill -

Are the All Stars live? I'm staying at All Star Sports for ToT10. I don't usually buy soda, but I do drink tea (from my own tea bags).

doconeill -

By live I'm assuming you mean with RFID active? Also, does AKV include Kidani?

Are the All Stars live? I'm staying at All Star Sports for ToT10. I don't usually buy soda, but I do drink tea (from my own tea bags).

They were I believe the first to implement, although I don't know for sure that all three are active. Also, isn't Sports the one where the food court is undergoing renovation? Not sure the situation there.

All Stars are live. With the food court down at Sports, you go to the arcade, where CMs fill mugs for you. Not sure how that works for tea/hot water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter