RCI exchange and Membership Magic

jberndt10

Mouseketeer
So thinking of trying to exchange into Disney using other another timeshare via RCI. If I’m successful prior to the 48 hours that I would need for a MM reservation, will I be able to book MM at first reservation period? In other words will I be known as a DVC member staying on property? Or do I have to have my reservation directly through DVC?

Last edited:
I would bet not, based on how the system assigns priority for registration, and also based on it being an edge case. Systems are rarely built to handle every use case.

If you stay on RCI Points it counts. I would just make sure the reservation and the call to MS occurs 48 hours prior to make sure the RCI reservation is in the system to register you as eligible. Your reservation still shows up in MDE and they appear to be scraping from there for cash stays already (though it’s inconsistent so I’d call).

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...ber-events/moonlight-magic-hollywood-studios/
right from the site above
  • When staying using cash or RCI® points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals staying in the same room as the Member, per Membership.

If you stay on RCI Points it counts. I would just make sure the reservation and the call to MS occurs 48 hours prior to make sure the RCI reservation is in the system to register you as eligible. Your reservation still shows up in MDE and they appear to be scraping from there for cash stays already (though it’s inconsistent so I’d call).

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...ber-events/moonlight-magic-hollywood-studios/
right from the site above
  • When staying using cash or RCI® points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals staying in the same room as the Member, per Membership.
So if we’re exchanging a week, from another timeshare, not points than it wouldn’t work.

So if we’re exchanging a week, from another timeshare, not points than it wouldn’t work.
I would consider that is what they mean by RCI points. DVC is a point system not week so technically it’s probably called tRCI Points (not weeks) but they require a week long reservation as that is all they offer. It’s impossible for a DVC member to stay at DVC through RCI with a DVC Membership (you must own another timeshare) so I would assume this is to cover exactly what you state. Moonlight Magic’s requirements are just to be staying at a specific set of resorts (the number of ticket requirements change based on how you are staying at those resorts).

MS should have the definitive answer but they already mention that RCI qualifies.

I would consider that is what they mean by RCI points. DVC is a point system not week so technically it’s probably called tRCI Points (not weeks) but they require a week long reservation as that is all they offer. It’s impossible for a DVC member to stay at DVC through RCI with a DVC Membership (you must own another timeshare) so I would assume this is to cover exactly what you state. Moonlight Magic’s requirements are just to be staying at a specific set of resorts (the number of ticket requirements change based on how you are staying at those resorts).

MS should have the definitive answer but they already mention that RCI qualifies.
[/

FYI, just got off the phone with MS. An RCI exchange is an RCI exchange, points vs weeks doesn’t matter. Now to get the ongoing search

Once your confirmed reservation show up in Disney's system (~3 days following the confirmation), phone DVC for several reasons:
a) to request the Disney reservation code so you set up the visit with MDE
b) put in room requests
c) add dining, if you hoped to do so
d) be added to the Moonlight Magic Eligible list

We did two RCI exchanges against other timeshare last year for Moonlight Magic events. In both cases we phoned in and requested to be "added to the MM list" and had NO difficulties participating in the 1st day reservation window for our intended events. Both stays were booked via "RCI Weeks" (not RCI Points); both were in Saratoga Springs.

Once your confirmed reservation show up in Disney's system (~3 days following the confirmation), phone DVC for several reasons:
b) put in room requests

We did two RCI exchanges against other timeshare last year for Moonlight Magic events. In both cases we phoned in and requested to be "added to the MM list" and had NO difficulties participating in the 1st day reservation window for our intended events. Both stays were booked via "RCI Weeks" (not RCI Points); both were in Saratoga Springs.
Good to know it worked. Did you have to pay the resort fee, I noticed each resort had 2 RCI codes and one has a $190 resort fee and the other doesn’t. We’ll see what comes up with an ongoing search.

Good to know it worked. Did you have to pay the resort fee, I noticed each resort had 2 RCI codes and one has a $190 resort fee and the other doesn’t. We’ll see what comes up with an ongoing search.
Yes, we paid the resort fee each time. The RD coded entries won’t match an ongoing search as they are rental inventory not exchange inventory.

Good luck with your search!

b) put in room requests

‘normally it takes 10 days or so for the reservation to show up in the DVC system and for MS to give you the confirmation Number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts