RCI points to DVC

KAYLI'S DAD

Mouseketeer
Please bear with me as I have been reading about timeshares and still dont get it all. I am trying to find out a couple of things.

1) How realistic is it to book a DVC like boardwalk or beach club on the RCI system
2) Does anyone know if there is a conversion calculation to convert RCI points to DVC points or how it works?

for example: 80,000 RCI points would get "X" at one of these resorts.

thanks.

Highly recommend you check Timeshare Users Group website. Lots of discussion there on converting RCI points (which vary) to DVC. However ONLY Saratoga Springs 1 bedrooms have been spotted/deposited recently. Very Very occaisionally an Old Key West or AKV may be spotted in off season weeks.
There is currently zero chance you will get boardwalk or Beach club with an exchange. That hasn't happened in years.

Booking BWV or BCV with RCI will not happen. RCI deposits are overwhelmingly Saratoga 1BR. If you have specific dates even that is rough.

Please bear with me as I have been reading about timeshares and still dont get it all. I am trying to find out a couple of things.

1) How realistic is it to book a DVC like boardwalk or beach club on the RCI system
2) Does anyone know if there is a conversion calculation to convert RCI points to DVC points or how it works?

thanks.
Currently DVC is not generally depositing anything but AKV, SSR or OKW for WDW and mostly SSR. It's almost exclusively 1 BR the last I saw as well. Possible but not likely currently for a 2 BR of other WDW resort. It has been different in the past and might or might not change again.

thanks for all the replies. This confirms it for me that I dont want to get one through RCI at least. thanks again.

thanks for all the replies. This confirms it for me that I dont want to get one through RCI at least. thanks again.

Even if you buy into DVC, resorts are bookable 'depending on availability' - you have an advantage in booking a resort you own at - and at seven months, anyone in the system can book any resort. The two resorts you mentioned are very popular, and unless you own there and are able to book eleven months from your trip, at certain times of the year (from end of September to mid-January in particular), you will have to be very lucky to get a room there. And even the rest of the year, availability can be spotty - or disappear quickly once seven month booking opens.

Don't buy a cheaper DVC resort expecting to be able to get into the BWV/BCV consistently. While is is certainly possible to "sleep around" within the DVC system, it will require flexibility on your part - a willingness to take your third (or seventh) choice resort, or book a split stay, or spend more points because a lake view one bedroom at BLT is what is available.

thanks.

There are no specific way to “calculate” RCI points to DVC points as it doesn’t work like that.

During RCI high season a 1br will cost you RCI 68,000 points. During other times it will cost you approx 54,000. Some times there are a special and you can get it for 38,000 points.

I got a 1br at SSR for 38,000 with a checkin date of early October.

Remember that if you do exchange into DVC through RCI then Dvc will charge you an additional $195 in resort fees. With the new parking fees I don’t know if RCI exchanges are impacted by those.

I have only been seeing SSR, OKW and Boardwalk popping up. We were once lucky enough to snag a 1 bed at BLT through RCI as well on an ongoing. We generally travel between fall and early December and the point requirement is around 40. RCI has increased their point requirement in recent months for peak and is showing SSR 1 beds at 60 points. I recommend doing an Ongoing Search with Disney Resorts at all times. RCI just gave us a fairly last minute ( 1 month away ) at SSR in a 1 bedroom for 10 points, likely because somebody cancelled.

I have only been seeing SSR, OKW and Boardwalk popping up. We were once lucky enough to snag a 1 bed at BLT through RCI as well on an ongoing. We generally travel between fall and early December and the point requirement is around 40. RCI has increased their point requirement in recent months for peak and is showing SSR 1 beds at 60 points. I recommend doing an Ongoing Search with Disney Resorts at all times. RCI just gave us a fairly last minute ( 1 month away ) at SSR in a 1 bedroom for 10 points, likely because somebody cancelled.
Just FYI, from the bolded values above, it appears you are trading in RCI Weeks rather than RCI Points. RCI Weeks uses "Trade Power Units" (TPU) that are in the ranges you mention. The OP specifically asked about RCI Points ... but should also have access to weeks, I believe?

Just FYI, from the bolded values above, it appears you are trading in RCI Weeks rather than RCI Points. RCI Weeks uses "Trade Power Units" (TPU) that are in the ranges you mention. The OP specifically asked about RCI Points ... but should also have access to weeks, I believe?
My weeks are converted into a set amount of points and everything is available by points. You are right that they are different, essentially the points platform should see everything I would multiplied by 1000. My understanding is that in RCI world Points is the superior membership, I would hope he could see it all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter