Re: M&M's...So I'm bored at the moment...

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
A random old thought came into my mind a couple nights ago when I saw a bag of M&M's on an episode of Stranger Things. I'm going to be 40 next month. But I have vivid memories of a time when I was 3 or 4 eating M&M's and they were all brown. Was there a time when M&M's were only brown? Dumb question, I know. But I'm bored and have to occupy my mind with something. :rotfl:

A random old thought came into my mind a couple nights ago when I saw a bag of M&M's on an episode of Stranger Things. I'm going to be 40 next month. But I have vivid memories of a time when I was 3 or 4 eating M&M's and they were all brown. Was there a time when M&M's were only brown? Dumb question, I know. But I'm bored and have to occupy my mind with something. :rotfl:

Hmmmmmm, I'm older than you and I don't remember this. Maybe some weird promotion at the time?

According to Wikipedia the original colors of M&Ms were red, yellow, violet, green & brown.

"Peanut M&M's were introduced in 1954 but first appeared[15] only in the color tan. In 1960, M&M's added the yellow, red, and green colors. [16] "

I'm bored too! Found the above on Wikipedia. You are too young to have eaten them before the colors were added though. Were you eating peanut M & M's?

In the early 80's I ate a lot of M & M "Royals" (brown and green, mint) but to my knowledge they never sold them where I live. A college roommate of mine got a care package from someone who had ties to the company. I guess they did sell them for a while, but I never saw them on the shelves and no one ever knows what they were when I mention them.

Last edited:

There was a time when the red ones were totally removed (the dye they used was found to be carcinogenic) but I don't recall only brown.

Been happily married 46 years with one important duty that came along with I DO being the task of isolating the RED M&M's because DW only eats the red ones. She takes minutes for each to melt one at a time, will only take 2, and the same with Tootsie Roll Pops except one of those suckers will last for 15 minutes or longer.

Brown M&Ms - I'll always think of this:

"There we were in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at three o' clock in the morning, looking for a thousand brown M&M's to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night...."

The rock band Van Halen supposedly had a contract rider that banned brown M&M's being served to them in their dressing room before and after concerts. Someone was supposed to pick all the brown ones out and discard them. Maybe OP got their repackaged rejects. ;)

This actually wasn’t just a “high maintenance” thing. Their show had a lot of rigging and safety issues. They put the m&ms in the rider so that they knew it the entire rider had been read and safety rules followed. If they say that there were m&ms with brown ones or no m&ms at all they knew that they hadn’t read the rider and to safety check everything.

There is an npr episode about this.

This actually wasn’t just a “high maintenance” thing. Their show had a lot of rigging and safety issues. They put the m&ms in the rider so that they knew it the entire rider had been read and safety rules followed. If they say that there were m&ms with brown ones or no m&ms at all they knew that they hadn’t read the rider and to safety check everything.

I adore that you too know this fun fact.

I seem to remember back in the late 70's and very early 80's that the colors were dark brown, light brown, yellow, green and orange. I distinctly remember having a handful of M&M's in my hand and my dad and uncle telling me they were magic candy because they won't melt. I could not have been more than 4 or 5 years old at the time, so that would have been 1979-1980-ish. I know for sure there were no red or blue in that mix.

I don't remember all brown, but I do recall only brown, tan, yellow and red. Then red got removed. Maybe I was only eating the Peanut ones also. Or maybe they were special for thanksgiving/Fall... they always have special color mixes out for holidays.

One of the band's managers/PR reps explained the reason for the seemingly outrageous demand soon after it became known. But most people didn't pay attention or chose not to believe it. Eventually David Lee Roth explained more fully.

I remember using the red ones as lipstick, so talking late 50's. ( this was as a kid playing) Which makes me in the way older than you group.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!