RE-OPENING! -- all resorts will open by year-end

I just read Disney in Japan is canceling almost all special events until next year, March 2021.

I hope WDW doesn't do this.

I have updated the first post with information about the "Relaxation Station" locations in each park. These are places where folks are allowed to remove masks. All have seating, though some have only partial seating. Most are outdoors, with some shade, a few are indoors. CMs are posted at the entrances, and while no time limits are posted it may be a 30 minute limit if busy.

Well, I understand Disney's reasoning here, even though I am disappointed - I had hoped that they might allow these.

I do applaud them for erring on the side of *everyone's* safety.

Despite what the official policy is, I can tell you that people are getting away with wearing gaiters. We did an AP preview in MK on Friday, AK yesterday and are in MK today. We have seen people wearing them at each location.

I have updated the first post with information about the "Relaxation Station" locations in each park. These are places where folks are allowed to remove masks. All have seating, though some have only partial seating. Most are outdoors, with some shade, a few are indoors. CMs are posted at the entrances, and while no time limits are posted it may be a 30 minute limit if busy.
DTD has also reopened and has one mask Relaxation Station/Zone near part of the M&F tram loading area (from what has been described -- I haven't seen it in person yet). Policy says that gaiters and bandannas are not allowed in DTD, but people have reported seeing at least a few gaiters being worn.

Last edited:
Update to the mask rules (7/18/20):
@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

ETA: WDW has now updated their website with this clarification.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...rinking-should-be-stationary-to-remove-masks/

Last edited:
Update to the mask rules (7/18/20):
@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

ETA: WDW has now updated their website with this clarification.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...rinking-should-be-stationary-to-remove-masks/
Thank you for the update. There have also been reports of guests being asked to move to the side and social distance while finishing their snack or drink. So it is being enforced.

Thank you for the update. There have also been reports of guests being asked to move to the side and social distance while finishing their snack or drink. So it is being enforced.
There have been recent reports of this policy being enforced at DTD, too. Guests with drinks and snacks who have removed their masks are being asked to move over to the side to eat and drink, then to put their masks back on.

Face Mask Rules & Guidelines for DTD have been updated today (7/24/20) to match WDW's:
Face Coverings

All Guests ages 2 and older are required to bring and wear face coverings when visiting the Downtown Disney District.

All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
At this time, neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings.
Guests may remove their face covering while actively eating or drinking outside, stationary and maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others.

Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

Resort re-opening dates changed:

ResortOriginal openingNew opening
Caribbean Beach ResortJuly 29July 29
Yacht Club ResortAug 24Aug 24
Beach Club ResortAug 24TBD
Grand Floridian ResortSept 21Sept 21
Boardwalk InnOct 1TBD
Polynesian Village ResortAug 12Oct 4
Coronado Springs ResortOct 14Oct 14
Art of Animation ResortAug 12Nov 1

Future opening dates continue to be subject to change.

More clarification from WDW on their mask policy, banning masks with valves, mash or any holes or openings:

it is not yet on the WDW website but does appear to be official.
DTD has officially updated their face covering policy (as of 7/27/20) to match WDW's:

All Guests ages 2 and older are required to bring and wear face coverings when visiting the Downtown Disney District.

All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
At this time, neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas, and face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind are not acceptable face coverings.
Guests may remove their face covering while actively eating or drinking outside, stationary and maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others.

Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

I've never seen facemarks with valves. Someone told me that there were masks with side things (I couldn't understand) so that my glasses wouldn't fog up. Is that the ones they mean? Like I said, I haven't seen them but I was interested in something that would not steam my glasses. However, if WDW won't allow them, I'll think twice.

I've never seen facemarks with valves. Someone told me that there were masks with side things (I couldn't understand) so that my glasses wouldn't fog up. Is that the ones they mean? Like I said, I haven't seen them but I was interested in something that would not steam my glasses. However, if WDW won't allow them, I'll think twice.

Yes, there are some masks that have "valves" in them. There's a couple of different kinds of valves (of course, because *nothing* in 2020 can be easy LOL)

The first kind is an "exhalation only" valve - it just lets the air out of the mask when you breathe. Right now, these are NOT the mask to wear, because if you happen to be an asymptomatic spreader, you could infect a lot of people in a very short amount of time. Obviously, not allowed at Disney. (and other places)

There is also a kind that is the "opposite" of that, where there is a valve that is basically turned the other way - it only lets in fresh air, and exhaled air has to filter out through the mask. These are not allowed at Disney (and other places) primarily because 1. They appear identical to the "bad" exhalation valve masks, and 2. There is some concern about the valves allowing particles to escape while open for inhalation.

There is a 3rd kind of mask that has a filtered inhalation/exhalation valve - basically the mask becomes a way to hold the valves and filter media and create a theoretical "clean zone" for your face. These are problematic because they were designed to be used by craftspeople and outdoor workers and others who need a basic level of filtration - not the type of filtration we need right now to keep us safe. Those are banned at Disney (and other places) as well.

I understand the desire for a vented solution - I think that we would all love to be able to figure out a way to make breathing easier through the masks, especially outdoors in the summer!

Just announced today, the resort-side of the POLY will remain closed until "Summer 2021" due to refurbishment. The DVC side will remain open.

Monorail service to the POLY will be suspended indefinitely starting in early October, due to work at the Grand Ceremonial House.

Those "side things" would be vents.

Just announced today, the resort-side of the POLY will remain closed until "Summer 2021" due to refurbishment. The DVC side will remain open.

Monorail service to the POLY will be suspended indefinitely starting in early October, due to work at the Grand Ceremonial House.
Darn, I wouldn't be too happy to be staying DVC at Poly and having to bus or boat to MK (or the loooong walk once the walkway is open).

Oops I forgot the close walking distance to the TTC. Not as bad as I originally thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!