Reading during dining

Dining solo? Read away (I'm a reader, and enjoy being alone and don't have any issue dining alone and often bring a book! ) BUT if I was dining with someone then I personally would consider it rude towards my dining companion if I had my face in my phone or book, or if they did the same to me.

Look around in any restaurant, Disney or otherwise, and you will see plenty of couples or even tables of four where everyone is on their phone. I would have no hesitation reading a book on my Kindle phone app as a solo diner in a restaurant.

In my opinion it's a waste of money and time to go to a WDW restaurant and then ignore the surroundings and just read the whole time. There are details in the theming that you can perceive if you really look around. I often notice these more as a solo. At Biergarten there is a live show you can watch. I'd rather be fully present where I am, or not go. YMMV.

I would say it depends on the place. Not all the restaurants are all that special, though some definitely are. If I was at Skipper Canteen, Be Our Guest, or others like that I would definitely soak up the atmosphere. As you say, Biergarten has a show that is worth watching. Some places are a bit more plain or you can see what you want to relatively quickly. Some people might need a break from all that "Disney" too...

Not me though - never! If I brought a book, it'd be Disney related. ;)

Open a book and plop down on the side of that fountain in the Epcot French Showcase while humming a little tune about quiet provincial towns...

Or read your phone in Biergarten. It's no skin off my nose.

I‘m a true introvert and avoid communal tables (and character meals) as a solo but I read on my phone at nearly every solo meal at WDW. I’m pretty much just there to eat and get back to enjoying the parks.

If I never brought a book or magazine to a restaurant, I would have never had some of the great meals that I have had, Disney or otherwise. While at a restaurant esp on vacation, I like to catch up on some of my reading. In a communal type table I may an effort at the beginning to make small talk, but esp. at Disney if the other parties are with family members they are more interested in talking amongst themselves than a single diner. Nothing wrong with that, so I break out a book or magazine and enjoy my meal.

In my opinion it's a waste of money and time to go to a WDW restaurant and then ignore the surroundings and just read the whole time. There are details in the theming that you can perceive if you really look around. I often notice these more as a solo. At Biergarten there is a live show you can watch. I'd rather be fully present where I am, or not go. YMMV.
Counterpoint: I would consider it a wonderful trip if I were able to have several relaxing meals where I could sit in a fabulously-themed restaurant and read for a while without interruption.

Its not rude at all to bring a book, or read from your phone. Look around...many people read from their phones while dining. I've seen people with books too. Its very common!! Do whatever you're comfortable with. :)

I have been thinking about this.
I have changed and re changed and moved and played with my ADR choices, and I have about 3 weeks until I can make them, so, who knows what I will *actually* get.
I have some where I suspect I will feel better for taking a book (or booking more Fps on my phone or something) and some where I think I will want to enjoy the surroundings, but, ALL my choices are new to me, so, I will probably put a book in my bag in case I feel more self conscious than my confident at home persona believes.
I mean, I reckon the worst that can happen is someone leaves the restaurant muttering to their family, about the weird lady with the book...

I used to take a book for solo dining at Disney - so I get it - do whatever you want - nobody cares!

Now that I am a more experienced solo diner - I don't carry a book anymore - paper or on my phone. Paper - I refuse to carry now. And on my phone - well - I also refuse to carry a charger for the phone - and reading for an hour unless I remember to switch to airplane mode - eats up my phone charge.

So - I do still "peck a bit" on my phone when dining solo - but now I'm happy just soaking in the atmosphere. And yep - the number of diners you see in groups just buried in their phones the entire time is pretty high!

I don't travel to Disney on my own but I travel for work 5 days a week and eat many many hotel meals alone. I always take a book and read while I'm waiting for my food or the bill. It's not weird at all.

I always have my paperwhite with me at Disney when I am traveling solo. I don't like using the app on the phone because I don't want to waste the charge, and the eyestrain in those small screens is horrible. Reading is also a great distraction from the antics while waiting for buses.

Believe me, I would much rather see someone at a table near me reading than hearing their phone conversation. It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious some people act in the restaurants. I have heard many conversations with people using speaker phone or FaceTime.

Believe me, I would much rather see someone at a table near me reading than hearing their phone conversation. It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious some people act in the restaurants. I have heard many conversations with people using speaker phone or FaceTime.
Let's talk about what someone might consider rude:
Sitting at the next table over and seeing someone reading...
Sitting at the next table over and listening to someone talking on their phone just a little too loud...

I would find it a bit rude to book a meal where you are seated with strangers, and then read the whole time. Putting myself in the shoes of the other guests, should I not talk to you? It would make me a little uncomfortable if I'm chatting away with other guests and someone who is there solo is reading.

Eating by yourself? Sure, bring a book. But if you are dining where you are seated at a table with others, maybe be social. My 2 cents.

I would find it a bit rude to book a meal where you are seated with strangers, and then read the whole time. Putting myself in the shoes of the other guests, should I not talk to you? It would make me a little uncomfortable if I'm chatting away with other guests and someone who is there solo is reading.

Eating by yourself? Sure, bring a book. But if you are dining where you are seated at a table with others, maybe be social. My 2 cents.

I have been to Biergarten several times solo. I am seated with other groups, all at different stages of their meal. Most people don't want to talk to others. I think that you are looking at the communal table wrong. These types of tables are popular in Europe, mostly because of space issues. There is no expectation of talking to others around you that are not in your party unless my mutual consent. That is why they put the person that you are with across from you so that you can converse easier. It is a totally different mind set then what you are thinking of. You can tell who wants to talk and who does not. It is in no way rude to not spend your time talking to others if you are there to eat. Now if someone asks a direct question, ignoring them is rude. But just because you are sitting at a communal table, does not mean that you are supposed to talk to others. Have you all seen the communal tables that they have at Satu'li Canteen? No one thinks that you have to talk to the other people using the table. And yes, I read while eating. I do watch the show when it comes on. It is not one or the other, we are capable of looking up from our books to watch the show. My whole family is Eastern European and grew up going to places like this and to functions where they used communal tables. Everyone chit chats with whomever they feel like. Some people just want to sit and eat their food. Never any awkwardness.

I've had more than one meal at Biergarten. You are seated as a group, in my experience. And I would find it a bit odd if one person didn't want to interact.

I've had more than one meal at Biergarten. You are seated as a group, in my experience. And I would find it a bit odd if one person didn't want to interact.

The last few years that we have been going, they stick you at any table that has room. Everyone is at different stages of their meal. I can only tell you of our experience. I go solo every year and also travel with both of my kids. So at most, there are 3 of us. I like this better because we are seated right away instead of waiting for them to "fill" the table. But we tend to eat at less busy times. We have also been going there for over 20 years and eat there almost every trip. There have been many times where the groups of people just conversed among themselves after the initial "hi". Maybe you are the chatty one that wants to talk to everyone. We just kind of feel the other groups out and chat if they want to but do not start the engagement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!