Real ID: Married Women Beware!

To the bolded. We receive and pay almost all of our bills online. They had no issue with my printing them out from the websites. They didn't say they had to be 'mailed' proof of residency. All I did was print a copy of our homeowners insurance and a copy of the electric bill (which are in both of our names) from online. They took them and made their own copies of them.

Every state seems to have a different interpretation on that this means. At least on the California DMV checklist they say "no electronic files" but don't indicate that a document can't be printed from an electronic file. So many electronic statements these days are identical to mailed statements.

Two Proofs of Residency
** Two (2) different printed documents are required -- no electronic files **​
To prove that you live in California, you must present TWO documents that contain your California mailing address. BOTH documents must show the applicant’s first and last name and the same mailing address that is listed on the driver license or identification card application.​

Every state seems to have a different interpretation on that this means. At least on the California DMV checklist they say "no electronic files" but don't indicate that a document can't be printed from an electronic file. So many electronic statements these days are identical to mailed statements.

Two Proofs of Residency
** Two (2) different printed documents are required -- no electronic files **​
To prove that you live in California, you must present TWO documents that contain your California mailing address. BOTH documents must show the applicant’s first and last name and the same mailing address that is listed on the driver license or identification card application.

Same here in Maryland. But it only states "Select at least two (2) of the following documents which display your Maryland residential address and are from two (2) separate organizations. If you do not have two (2) items from this list, see if you qualify for one (1) of the “Residency Exceptions” listed below. " There was nothing about photopies or electronic files not being accepted. Guess it varies from state to state!

Same here in Maryland. But it only states "Select at least two (2) of the following documents which display your Maryland residential address and are from two (2) separate organizations. If you do not have two (2) items from this list, see if you qualify for one (1) of the “Residency Exceptions” listed below. " There was nothing about photopies or electronic files not being accepted. Guess it varies from state to state!

Argh. I saw the "Photocopies will not be accepted" in bold, but missed the previous non-bolded sentence that we can print the image from online. I don't know how they could tell a photocopy from a printed black-and-white statement. Sigh.

Oh well, it's done.

So I lost my drivers license. I think the rental car place in Denver didn't give it back but in any case, I'm in Texas and just ordered a replacement online and it came back with the Real ID star on it.

I didn't have to show any documents or talk to anyone, just ordered a replacement for my old DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter