Reality of Wilderness Lodge bunk bed rooms

Nvrgrowup

Mouseketeer
Have a coworker who wants to do a big trip Dec 2019, with dh 2 twenty something ds and herself staying at the WL. She has been told by a TA that they all should be fine in a bunk bed room. and her sons should be comfortable in the bunks.told her doesn't sound right. Am I missing something? We have never stayed in one so Iam asking for guidance and maybe a reality check for her from the all knowing Disboard Thanks

First it may not even be an issue by Dec. 2019. The latest rumor discussion this fall is that all bunk beds will be removed from both the AKL and the WL rooms during the planned soft good changes.

My personal view is that anyone over 5' 5" is going to be challenged by the short bunk bed lengths.

Dave

Thanks Dave006 and rwdavis2 for your replies. Did not know that the bunk rooms may be a thing of the past by next year. From what you both have described there is no way her sons would ever fit in the bunks. Will pass the info along

My kids were ok on the bunk beds but they are 5 and 8. I would not use it as a sleeping surface for an adult. The lower one had very little head room.

We had a ladies trip, all 3 of us in our mid 50s at the time. We booked the bunk bed room, thinking it would be nice to have 3 separate beds. I quickly called TOP BUNK! And I do climb ladders in my job daily, and we had bunks in 2 of our kids bedrooms at one point.

I fit on the bed fine, as did my friend on the bottom bunk. I am the taller of us two, 5'5". But the LADDER. It is straight up and down, not placed at a slight angle like my kids beds had. And the rungs were extremely slippery. I discovered I had to go up and down barefoot for traction, lol. (I have to sleep in socks, my feet get really cold year round).

Still liked the room just fine, of course, WL is so wonderful. Just was funny because I was so quick to "call" the top bunk, yikes.

My teen sons who were 5’7” and 5’10” slept in the bunk beds and said they were comforble.

It's awkward to climb to the top bunk. If you are tall you have to bend when you get to the top rung when climbing into it.

I solo travel and wound up with bunk rooms on both my AkL and WL stay. They are tiny twin beds, possibly smaller, with not much room between bottom and top or top and ceiling to sit up. The bottom one seems like a good design for a concussion if you sat up too fast amd forgot you were on the bottom.

Thanks for all the responses. My friend is having sticker shock for the week before Christmas 2019.Its been a number years since she has been and thought this would be a slower week!!:sad2: Has her heart set on WL recommended possibly renting points if available.Her original thought was to get 2 rooms at WL since her sons are grown giving everyone more space. The TA is still telling her the bunk room is a fine option. I will let her know your thoughts and experiences with the bunks.So appreciate the info I get from the Dis.:)

Thanks for all the responses. My friend is having sticker shock for the week before Christmas 2019.Its been a number years since she has been and thought this would be a slower week!!:sad2: Has her heart set on WL recommended possibly renting points if available.Her original thought was to get 2 rooms at WL since her sons are grown giving everyone more space. The TA is still telling her the bunk room is a fine option. I will let her know your thoughts and experiences with the bunks.So appreciate the info I get from the Dis.:)

At this point I would fire the TA. Your friend has a legitimate concern and it is not being addressed seriously, IMO.

I know that the cost is high, however I would expect some sort of discount to be released as they get closer. FOr a Holiday trip, if she has her heart set on WL, I would suggest either biting the bullet and booking the Lodge, and hope that a discount is released, or rent points. I do suggest she make sure she is familiar with how renting works though, because it not the same as booking a room through Disney. For this week, if she booked she should be sure of her dates 11 months out.

Your friend should look at Fort Wilderness cabins instead of WL for that time period. There is a whole lot more room for less price and you can easily get over to WL if you just want to look at decorations, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!