Really disappointed in the transportation

Wow, what a smug and completely unhelpful response.
Really?
I showed you where the info provided by Disney clearly states how long to plan for your transportation. So that should have been very helpful.
I suggested that you are greatly overestimating how bad it will be and focusing only on the negative and that if you will give it a chance find that the transportation is very good. Not helpful?
Ok.
Have a great first trip.

Is it really unhelpful to show you where Disney says to allow 1.5 hours to travel to your destination?

I understand being overwhelmed by all there is to know about WDW. Even after going almost yearly for over 20 years I still have questions. But honestly it sounds like either you are set on believing the bad, or that your expectations are way out of whack. WDW is not Disneyland. It is much much much larger, and does take a lot of research.

The buses are set to come every 20 minutes. Sometimes they are quicker to show, sometimes they are slower to show. If that doesn't work for you then yes, rent a car or rely on Uber/Lyft/Taxis. Not everyone likes the buses and that is ok.

No, it's unhelpful to say people have no right to be blindsided by surprises when planning a really, really, really, really, really complicated trip — all because they didn't see one phrase in a dining reservation that someone else made.

There is absolutely no reason to weave insults into advice to someone who is struggling.

No, it's unhelpful to say people have no right to be blindsided by surprises when planning a really, really, really, really, really complicated trip — all because they didn't see one phrase in a dining reservation that someone else made.

There is absolutely no reason to weave insults into advice to someone who is struggling.

If you can give us specifics, ask away! Where are you staying, and where are you trying to get to?

For me not having to drive is part of the vacation. I've been to WDW enough that I don't feel I have to always go go go. Sometimes it is nice to have a bit of time to decompress.

My sister likes to have a rental car, and I have no problem going along with it. But the idea that you just hop in you car and go is a myth. I have found it is more like this:

Hike out to where you car is parked at the resort. Drive to park. Park where directed, then walk to the shuttle stop. Wait thru a couple shuttles before actually boarding one. Then get dropped off at the park. Repeat when leaving. But now your car is oven hot, and you are tired, and now you have to fight the traffic. All of that takes time too. It isn't as if your car is right outside of the gates, and then you hop in and go. Especially not true at the Magic Kingdom.

I get wanting to have a car, but it isn't instant transportation either.

Exactly, for us it isn't about the time. We don't feel the need to be at the parks from opening to close anyway. For us it is about how we don't have to stress about driving in a strange place with a bunch of other tourists. It is one of the reasons why we keep coming back, especially why I do solo trips. I have driven in many cities that I have visited with no problems, but I really like not having to on my trips to WDW. It makes is more of a relaxing time for me.

That would not be my opinion. I thought AngiTN made some valid and accurate points. Too many of the responses on this thread are overstating how horrendous the bus service is. It's certainly far from perfect, but considering the challenges, and they are numerous, most often the bus service is as promised. You do have options however and may want to explore them if you're concerned. Based on many years of delivering what I considered to be excellent WDW bus service, yes I was one of those CMs, I would still recommend using the buses, you may be surprised.

If you can give us specifics, ask away! Where are you staying, and where are you trying to get to?

My biggest concern is getting to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom for 7 a.m. EMHs from Old Key West — and the viability of returning from those parks for an afternoon break. Just within this thread there are conflicting accounts as to whether morning buses are more likely to be full/take longer than during mid-day. So how early do we need to be out the door to be at each of those parks by 6:30-6:45 a.m., using the Disney buses? (That's when people say to get to EMH, just for the non-headliner rides) And by comparison, how early do we need to be out the door if we're using Minnie Vans or Lyft?

This is already really early for us since we're coming from the west. We're kind of approaching health-threatening sleep deprivation if we have to be at the bus stop before 6 a.m. (if bus service even departs that early, which now I'm not at all sure of). Being up at 5 a.m. is like 3 a.m. to us.

So if we're going to do that to a little kid, an afternoon break seems really crucial. But if we should always expect at least 40-50 minutes to get from point A to point B one way, that doesn't really leave much time to rest at the hotel. Our dinner ADRs in AK and MK are for 4:50 and 5:00 p.m. (again, I did not make the reservations, this isn't about me being stupid — and the people who did were caught off guard to even learn you have to book dinner 6 months out, because that's not something you just intuitively know out here in the regular world where you make dinner reservations a few weeks in advance). If we leave AK after the noon Nemo show (12:40) ... I just don't see how it's NBD for a bus to be a half hour overdue here and there. Suddenly you're not back to the hotel until close to 2 p.m. and you have to turn around and leave at 3:20 p.m. to make the ADR. That's 2+ hours in transit for like an hour of "rest."

I just cannot agree that I'm foolish for being surprised by these conditions.

Health-threatening sleep deprivation seems a bit overblown, no? If sleep is an issue, perhaps EMH mornings aren't right for your group. It's a shame to start off the day on the wrong foot. Maybe evening EMH would be a more helpful thing for your group.

I don't think anyone is saying you're being foolish. But every system has its limitations, which you're realizing, and the only way to be truly in control of timing and transportation is to drive yourself.

My biggest concern is getting to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom for 7 a.m. EMHs from Old Key West — and the viability of returning from those parks for an afternoon break. Just within this thread there are conflicting accounts as to whether morning buses are more likely to be full/take longer than during mid-day. So how early do we need to be out the door to be at each of those parks by 6:30-6:45 a.m., using the Disney buses? (That's when people say to get to EMH, just for the non-headliner rides) And by comparison, how early do we need to be out the door if we're using Minnie Vans or Lyft?

This is already really early for us since we're coming from the west. We're kind of approaching health-threatening sleep deprivation if we have to be at the bus stop before 6 a.m. (if bus service even departs that early, which now I'm not at all sure of). Being up at 5 a.m. is like 3 a.m. to us.

So if we're going to do that to a little kid, an afternoon break seems really crucial. But if we should always expect at least 40-50 minutes to get from point A to point B one way, that doesn't really leave much time to rest at the hotel. Our dinner ADRs in AK and MK are for 4:50 and 5:00 p.m. (again, I did not make the reservations, this isn't about me being stupid — and the people who did were caught off guard to even learn you have to book dinner 6 months out, because that's not something you just intuitively know out here in the regular world where you make dinner reservations a few weeks in advance). If we leave AK after the noon Nemo show (12:40) ... I just don't see how it's NBD for a bus to be a half hour overdue here and there. Suddenly you're not back to the hotel until close to 2 p.m. and you have to turn around and leave at 3:20 p.m. to make the ADR. That's 2+ hours in transit for like an hour of "rest."

I just cannot agree that I'm foolish for being surprised by these conditions.

OKW - whew. I don't know too much about it, other than it looks gorgeous. To be at AK and MK for the 7am open? I would be at the bus stop no later than 6-615. We are early birds, so that would NOT be a problem for us. If you are using Lyft, I would say to schedule it for 615 - 630 for AK. For MK - same, if you have them drop you at Contemporary so you can walk over.

So, however long it takes you to get up and get ready in the AM, subtract that from "at the bus stop no later than 6am" and get your wake up time there.

Now, personally, I would push the dining reservations back a bit, so you can go back to the resort and rest for a few hours. If that is not possible, find a quiet, secluded corner of the park and rest there. We bench surf, a lot, when we need breaks. Grab something cold and people watch for an hour while my kids recharge. It does wonders.

There is no "over due" for busses. They are not on a strict timetable. They average about every 15-20 minutes, but come quicker or slower based on a myriad of things. The screens by the stops will keep you updated.

If you don't want to rely on the busses, which I get, as a first timer who wants to get everything in and done, use Lyft or a cab.

We, however, find the transportation part of the vacation. 2 minutes or 90 minutes, we enjoy the time.

Try to not stress about it. Vacation should be fun. Once your plans are made, just be fluid. It will still be an amazing adventure even if all the boxes are not checked on the to-do list.

If sleep is an issue, perhaps EMH mornings aren't right for your group. It's a shame to start off the day on the wrong foot. Maybe evening EMH would be a more helpful thing for your group.

They discontinued evening EMH during my trip. We were a little bummed about that. Up at 5 a.m. is OK in our own time zone — but getting a kindergartener up at what feels to her like 3 a.m. for a high-energy day isn't very healthy. But everyone is saying that's really going to be the only way to see the parks without pretty crushing crowds during Columbus Day right after SW:GE opens. Starting the day on the right foot is actually the least of my worries. I saw pictures of AK and I really can't imagine a nicer place to spend dawn: all the tropical plants, animals to see, pretty trails to explore without bottleneck crowds. Same for MK: If it's like DLR, morning is the most magical. Getting up that early will be painful, but I'm still hoping it'll be worth it.

What I'm more worried about is not being able to pre-empt or respond to the midday crash-and-burn because we're stranded at a bus stop when it's hot and crowded, we can't get cold drinks or food, and the bus ain't coming. It would be a real shame if we can't get to our hotel right when we need it most — and then can't remedy the sleep deprivation with a break because we've spent all afternoon on/waiting for buses. Also nervous to brace my brother for this possibility after he wanted to stay off-site in the first place.

Now, personally, I would push the dining reservations back a bit, so you can go back to the resort and rest for a few hours.
If you don't want to rely on the busses, which I get, as a first timer who wants to get everything in and done, use Lyft or a cab.

Changing ADRs is probably not possible at this point. They're both pretty popular character meals.

I think what we will do is Lyft/Minnie Van to the parks for the two EMH days, and just do less stuff so we can leave at more like 11 a.m.? I don't know, one of the top AK priorities was Nemo, and the shows only run when we'd have to be gone to ensure a break despite bus lags. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks to both of you for helping without the needless digs.

Would your daughter sleep in a stroller? Instead of leaving would she sleep as the rest of you walked around and took turns on rides? Enough to get you to Nemo?

If you plan on using an Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van will you need one that has a car seat? If so make sure you tell them so.

Changing ADRs is probably not possible at this point. They're both pretty popular character meals.

I think what we will do is Lyft/Minnie Van to the parks for the two EMH days, and just do less stuff so we can leave at more like 11 a.m.? I don't know, one of the top AK priorities was Nemo, and the shows only run when we'd have to be gone to ensure a break despite bus lags. Back to the drawing board.

Keep your eyes open for later meals, but if that doesn't happen, find a quiet spot to rest IN the park. There are plenty of spots. Ideal for "good, solid rest"? No. But, it is definitely enough to get you through dinner and such. Not sure when you are going, but I have found a battery powered fan, a light blanket/hoodie, etc. some wet washcloths/paper towels, a cold drink, and a spell sitting on my butt for a bit, can solve almost all the problems. One of my best memories is sitting on a bench at MK, fan on my son, me rubbing his head, and him passing out.

I will say, 95% of the time, things run as they should, and there are no issues. That 5% that are affected by the shortcomings, though, make themselves known...which is why you hear the negative so much more.

I wouldn't miss Nemo. Do AK, and Nemo. Then, go find the quiet trails back by the Dinosaur ride and relax for an hour or 90 minutes. Then, head to your next destination.

At MK, maybe head to a boat or monorail for a snooze vs. all the way back to OKW. You will figure it out!

I've never had any problem with Disney's buses, or other transportation. When I had to use an ECV, occasionally we had to wait on a second bus, but never seemed to be a big deal. In fact, I love Disney transportation! There is nothing more relaxing than parking our vehicle for the stay and letting Disney drive us around.

We stay at Fort Wilderness about 80% of the time, so rely on two buses or a bus and a boat in the case of MK, and still have no complaints. Some waits are short, some are longer, but haven't experienced anything unreasonable. We are somewhat regulars, with quite a few trips each year.

I read complaints about the buses and wifi at the Fort, but both are great in my opinion. Not sure if we are just easy to please or lucky.

IMO it won’t matter how early you get to SW for probably a year. especially on the holidays, there is going to be a crush of people. They may have to institute the DL system where you make a reservation to enter the land and are ‘booted’ within a certain time period. Regardless, probably will see that park reach capacity at times. Sure will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I do have some (new) hope:duck:as disney is very good at crowd control!

I prefer to rent a car, period. When I do utilize a bus (GD thinks it’s ‘fun’ at the ripe old age of 8). Accordingly, I humor her at least once each trip.

I rarely make rope drop, but do tend to often manage to arrive the first hour or two of park operation. Accordingly, I don’t plan any dining ADRs or FP until late am or after lunch. Life is short, why set yourself up to stress the first thing in the morning, especially when on vacation?

No matter which park or where we are staying onsite (including the monorail resorts) from the time we exit our room; I allow 1 hour minimum to reach the park turnstiles. This includes visiting MK & the monorail resorts. The exception is Bay Lake/CR, when i walk & cut the est. time frame in half to 30 min.

As for driving myself, again starting upon room departure, I allow 45 min

*Using uber - I factor in about 30 min from time called, when at resort transportation pickup spot, peak times often longer and more fare is more expensive

Would your daughter sleep in a stroller? Instead of leaving would she sleep as the rest of you walked around and took turns on rides? Enough to get you to Nemo?

If you plan on using an Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van will you need one that has a car seat? If so make sure you tell them so.

She's too big for a stroller and probably won't sleep in the park. I might just spring for Lyft throughout the two days we were planning to take an afternoon break. We can check out the bus situation but be willing to walk away early. At this point I'd be willing to pay for Lyft for the group just to have a reliable option. That way we could reasonably do the 11:00 Nemo (out at 11:40) and hopefully get back by 12:30 p.m. or so. Then leave at 3:45 p.m. for the 4:50 ADR? At MK, the plans are a lot less complicated for a lot of reasons.

As for car booster, we'll probably get a Mifold or Ridesafer to allow for Lyfts. We've been meaning to get one anyway bc we travel with her a lot.

They discontinued evening EMH during my trip. We were a little bummed about that. Up at 5 a.m. is OK in our own time zone — but getting a kindergartener up at what feels to her like 3 a.m. for a high-energy day isn't very healthy. But everyone is saying that's really going to be the only way to see the parks without pretty crushing crowds during Columbus Day right after SW:GE opens. Starting the day on the right foot is actually the least of my worries. I saw pictures of AK and I really can't imagine a nicer place to spend dawn: all the tropical plants, animals to see, pretty trails to explore without bottleneck crowds. Same for MK: If it's like DLR, morning is the most magical. Getting up that early will be painful, but I'm still hoping it'll be worth it.

What I'm more worried about is not being able to pre-empt or respond to the midday crash-and-burn because we're stranded at a bus stop when it's hot and crowded, we can't get cold drinks or food, and the bus ain't coming. It would be a real shame if we can't get to our hotel right when we need it most — and then can't remedy the sleep deprivation with a break because we've spent all afternoon on/waiting for buses. Also nervous to brace my brother for this possibility after he wanted to stay off-site in the first place.

Don't get up early every day. We never set an alarm for our trips. We all sleep in and then go to the parks. We just make our FPs for later on either late morning or early afternoon. There is no reason to get there are rope drop every day. You still have hours and hours in the parks and you don't HAVE to do every single ride. That is unreasonable even for a bunch of 20 year olds let alone a small child. Our touring was wake up naturally, get something to eat, head over to the parks, go on a couple of rides, take a break, a couple more rides, eat, rides, rest, rides, eat, rides, back to the resort. Just remember that a vacation isn't just about doing as much as you can, but enjoying your time together. If your child wants to stop and watch the ducks, do so. Getting on 1 more ride is not more important then your family enjoying themselves.

We also do the online food ordering to save time waiting in line at the counter service places. Very helpful at the counter service near FOP as well as other spots. We tend to eat stboff times to avoid crowds.

Sorry the evening EMH aren’t available during your trip. That does impact your planning as well as the nights the parks close for the paid events.

Speaking of the the extra events, have you considered booking one?

ErinAlb....try not to stress! Yes, it's mind boggling to plan a Disney trip, especially for a large group. But.....although it 'can' take an hour or so for a bus to arrive, it doesn't happen very often. WDW is a huge area, with a huge amount of traffic. Buses tend to arrive every 20-25 mins during the day. For park opening, they tend to arrive more quickly. Buses start running at 6:30 for regular park openings, and earlier for earlier park openings. Figure on an hour to get to an ADR, especially if it's at a resort and you have to use two modes of transportation.
My suggestion to you would be to try to get a later start on your first morning, vs going to an early EMH. Let your systems start adjusting to the time difference that first day.
As far as mid-day buses go, you'll be fine. You might have a 30 min wait but I doubt that will happen very often. Here's the thing....when you're standing there, waiting for a bus in the mid-day heat, you feel like 5 mins is 10!!! So, although you actually have been waiting for 10 mins, you would swear that you had been standing there for 25 mins!!!! I've seldom waited more than 20 mins for a mid-day bus back to my resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts