Really disappointed in the transportation

Fyi--. You will see some large children in strollers. WDW is a ton of walking so many people use them at the parks when they don't in their day to day life.

Just wanted to let you know in case you end up benefiting from having one. The WDW strollers can handle a good amount of weight.

Wow, what a smug and completely unhelpful response.
I don't see that attitude at all. A Walt Disney World vacation is complicated, and is probably best enjoyed following a great deal of research.
and the bus ain't coming.
The bus is coming. It always comes. My point of view lately is that the buses typically arrive as planned; it's the potential passengers whose timing is off.
When we need it most
Then, yes, some version of rideshare would be appropriate.

If you look over this thread, probably what - a dozen posters have had negative experience? Even if you view one complaint as representative of a thousand people, that's 12,000 bad experiences vs. millions annually with as-expected to excellent experience.

They may have to institute the DL system where
I don't think it's "may have to" so much as "will".

@ErinAlb - Have you considered not going all the way back to OKW for an afternoon break? Maybe go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge instead on your AK day. They have a beautiful lobby with lots of quiet spots. On your MK day, you could visit one of the monorail resorts or take a boat ride to the Wilderness Lodge.

While Disney doesn't allow pool-hopping, they do like it when people visit resorts other than where they are staying. You can grab a snack at the quick-service, have an adult beverage, visit the gift shop, etc. Or you can just sit in the lobby and people watch.

Keep your eyes open for later meals, but if that doesn't happen, find a quiet spot to rest IN the park. There are plenty of spots. Ideal for "good, solid rest"? No. But, it is definitely enough to get you through dinner and such. Not sure when you are going, but I have found a battery powered fan, a light blanket/hoodie, etc. some wet washcloths/paper towels, a cold drink, and a spell sitting on my butt for a bit, can solve almost all the problems. One of my best memories is sitting on a bench at MK, fan on my son, me rubbing his head, and him passing out.

The Nomad Lounge is a great place for a break in the park. Order a couple cold drinks and chill out on the couches for a while.

Outside seating at Nomad lounge was wonderful back in February when it was cool and dry.

I don't see that attitude at all. A Walt Disney World vacation is complicated, and is probably best enjoyed following a great deal of research.

The bus is coming. It always comes. My point of view lately is that the buses typically arrive as planned; it's the potential passengers whose timing is off.

Then, yes, some version of rideshare would be appropriate.

If you look over this thread, probably what - a dozen posters have had negative experience? Even if you view one complaint as representative of a thousand people, that's 12,000 bad experiences vs. millions annually with as-expected to excellent experience.

I don't think it's "may have to" so much as "will".

I’ve given up trying to predict what WDW will or won’t do, have thrown too many curves over the last year or so for my comfort zone.

The Nomad Lounge is a great place for a break in the park. Order a couple cold drinks and chill out on the couches for a while.

YES!!! It is a GREAT place to recharge! We spent a good hour or so there, indulging in fancy-sounding drinks and some unique-ish offerings to snack on! Feet up, air on, bellies full = happy kid.

Obviously I'm doing research; that's why I'm here, five months before I set foot on a plane. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that it takes an hour to go 5 miles via motorized transport, or that there'd be no reliable way to find out how long you'll wait for a bus. I don't see why people should be scolded or called stupid just because they don't know something or are having trouble. It's an informational forum, of course people are going to be blindsided by new information. We don't need to be mocked, too (like this suggestion that I expect magical buses to appear at my will).

Somewhere between hour-long trips and magically-apparating buses are possibilities that could conceivably dwell in the imagination of a person who is not entirely stupid: for example, that Disney might have invested in a bigger bus fleet, or more precise planning tools. The fact that arrival estimates weren't digitized until 2018 isn't a very encouraging sign. The lack of any kind of printed schedule also is a red flag. I don't believe it is possible to extrapolate from this thread any meaningful statistics on bus satisfaction, but if it's a problem several people are talking about, I'd prefer to take measures to avoid it.

I'm grateful that most of the people here have been generous with their advice without being punitive about it. At this point I'm thinking Lyft will be our best option for a lot of our intra-WDW trips.

YES!!! It is a GREAT place to recharge! We spent a good hour or so there, indulging in fancy-sounding drinks and some unique-ish offerings to snack on! Feet up, air on, bellies full = happy kid.

I really, really wanted to go here. It would probably be my husband's favorite thing about Disney World.

Obviously I'm doing research; that's why I'm here, five months before I set foot on a plane. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that it takes an hour to go 5 miles via motorized transport, or that there'd be no reliable way to find out how long you'll wait for a bus. I don't see why people should be scolded or called stupid just because they don't know something or are having trouble. It's an informational forum, of course people are going to be blindsided by new information. We don't need to be mocked, too (like this suggestion that I expect magical buses to appear at my will).

Somewhere between hour-long trips and magically-apparating buses are possibilities that could conceivably dwell in the imagination of a person who is not entirely stupid: for example, that Disney might have invested in a bigger bus fleet, or more precise planning tools. The fact that arrival estimates weren't digitized until 2018 isn't a very encouraging sign. The lack of any kind of printed schedule also is a red flag. I don't believe it is possible to extrapolate from this thread any meaningful statistics on bus satisfaction, but if it's a problem several people are talking about, I'd prefer to take measures to avoid it.

I'm grateful that most of the people here have been generous with their advice without being punitive about it. At this point I'm thinking Lyft will be our best option for a lot of our intra-WDW trips.

You have to understand that not every trip on the bus is going to take an hour. They just give you the worse case scenario. Most of the time you get on a bus within 10-15 minutes and then depending on where you are going, another 10-15 minutes drive, which you would have anyway if you drove yourself. It is not common to spend 60-90 minutes on the bus. If there is an accident or something has happened to back them up, then you will wait. But all in all they do an amazing job. I also would like to edit that the 60-90 minutes that Disney tells you to give yourself for reservations includes getting into the parks and walking to your restaurant. It's not just time on the bus.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that it takes an hour to go 5 miles via motorized transport,
It typically does not. That single experience is an anomoly, not the norm at all.
for example, that Disney might have invested in a bigger bus fleet,
Almost five hundred, I believe, to service 40 square miles. For perspective, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority - MBTA - operates 1,022 buses over 3,244 square miles. You would have to ask WDW why exactly their buses do not operate on a fixed scheduke, but imo they do it well.
The fact that arrival estimates weren't digitized until 2018 isn't a very encouraging sign.
It should be discouraging solely from a technological, not operational, aspect.
but if it's a problem several people are talking about, I'd prefer to take measures to avoid it.
While several people are talking about negative experiences, the millions of satisfied or pleased customers annually, rary waste space posting about it.

Last trip in November the busses were horrendous but thats partly because of the two resorts I stayed at. Caribbean Beach and Riverside.

We actually joked that the busses should say "WECOME SARDINES" instead of "WELCOME WORLD TRAVELLERS" at Caribbean Beach.
The bus situation at the Caribbean was one of the reasons we hated staying there.

I’m old school, I refuse to look at the monitors they have at the bus stops to tell you when the bus may come. I stand, or sit there until the bus I need shows up. If it comes in 2 minutes great, if it comes in 35 minutes oh well. I haven’t noticed any change for the better or worse over the years, it’s hit or miss sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

In all reality, Disney does an incredible job moving thousands upon thousands of guests every day. Yes, it would be nice if there was a set schedule. But that would mean many more buses, which means many more drivers and a ton more maintainence. Who do you think will pay for that? Yep, guests.
So, those that need to move around more quickly, or more reliably, are better served by either renting a car, or using uber/Lyft.

I’m sorry if anyone was made to feel stupid or felt scolded. I’m sure that was no ones intention. Here on the Transportation Board we take transport very seriously. An incorrect answer could really negatively impact someone’s vacation. So I suppose there are times a poster can come across as tough.

Obviously I'm doing research; that's why I'm here, five months before I set foot on a plane. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that it takes an hour to go 5 miles via motorized transport, or that there'd be no reliable way to find out how long you'll wait for a bus. I don't see why people should be scolded or called stupid just because they don't know .
Years ago I read the average family visits WDW once or twice in their lifetime. I suspect the number of visits may be higher. Members of DIS have been to Disney a lot more then twice. Things we take for granted are foreign to anyone who is just looking at photos and ads.
Buses run every 20 minutes or so. Start with a 10 minute wait. OKW is spread out. The resort itself has 4 (5?) bus stops. Get on at the first bus stop and it might be 10 minutes (or more) before your bus even leaves your resort. You can check with google maps. Driving times from your resort to the parks is 10-15 minutes. Remember roads go around the parks and resorts. Driving distances are longer then you think. Disney bus drivers generally drive the speed limit. When you get to a park you're not dropped off at the main gate (you sort of are). There is a huge bus loading area. Designed to accommodate double buses. There are dedicated loading zones servicing one or two resorts most of the day. Figure a 5 maybe even a 10 minute walk to the main gate. Bag check, metal detector and finally what used to be a turnstile are now stands where you tap your magic band. Mickeys head turns green and you're good to enter.The park entry process takes time.

Are you going to a park for a specific restaurant or attraction. You could have a 5-15 minute walk ahead of you.

Let me translate DIS speak.
Q. What time do the buses run for EMH?
real Q. When might the very first bus leave my resort. I want to get to AK at least an hour before EMH so I can be near the front of the heard going to FoP. Waiting an hour before the park opens extends my park day. Who needs sleep.

Just got back. Zero complaints with the buses (AKL and POP) Only had to wait 20 minutes once. Either a bus was loading when I got to the stop or less then a 5 minute wait.

We were there first week in May. I love the screens that now tell you when the next bus is due. During morning rush there was a cast member with an iPad at the resort bus stops monitoring the number of folks waiting. We were at Yacht Club and the busses were almost full before it left for beach club. CM would ask for another bus to be dispatched quickly. Actually this trip was the best I’ve ever seen for bus travel, especially at closing time.

They also fixed my biggest complaint. We no longer have the waste of time stop at Blizzard Beach on the way to or from the Animal Kingdom.

I've never had a huge issue with the bus system. It is what it is. There is no way they can have a "schedule" because there are too many variables. You never know when a whole heap of Wheelchairs or ECV's are going to need to be fitted which can eat up a lot of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!