Really wanted to buy BLT but.... need more points .. SSR?

Keep in mind that DVC can change your park habits. We found that going so often to WDW and the parks, we didn't want to spend as much time in the parks. We spend more time at the resorts and doing other activities away from the crowds.

:earsboy: Bill

Keep in mind that DVC can change your park habits. We found that going so often to WDW and the parks, we didn't want to spend as much time in the parks. We spend more time at the resorts and doing other activities away from the crowds.

:earsboy: Bill
Yeah.. I have.. my son is only 10 at this point.. so Its hard to see the future..I wish boardwalk had longer exp..

I hear you but wouldn’t you rather have more than 20 years of vacation time at a place you love instead of somewhere you don’t?
I have never stayed there but I read its awesome.. and with star wars.. I guess I should consider.... good point

I have never stayed there but I read its awesome.. and with star wars.. I guess I should consider.... good point

And now that's 2 resorts that you think would be nice. ;) So even with one or the other you're still talking about trying to switch some time at 7 months. So it still really sounds like you want to try other resorts and aren't fixed to 1 that you HAVE to stay at. In that case I still say buy the most economical resort that you are happy staying at if you can't switch. Or add to your AKV points. Without a good plan to use multiple resorts it can get a little convoluted and having your points at a single location that you know you like really isn't a bad thing. :) The last 3 months of the year and then Marathon weekend are the times that you have to really feel you will likely be staying where you own - but even then waitlists do work. If there are other times of the year that you go you'll get into a BLT 2BR or a BWV 1BR at least some of the time. Maybe all of the time. I'd feel fairly certain I'd get those rooms but then I'm often switching and booking at 7 months and using waitlists.

And it's also not a forever thing if it ends up not working out or you stay at BLT and BWV and learn one or the other is where you really want to stay most visits. You can sell and repurchase although that's the most expensive. But you can rent out your points and rent a reservation or transfer in points too.

On a little side note - we owned at BCV at one time. But I found I frequently changed our BCV stays and booked elsewhere. Sold it but with flexibility still book stays there. No one in the family ranks it at the top of resorts though but to read about it we really should have!

Last edited:
o

That does not sound fun... I wonder how the busses at ssr compare to akv? I didn't mind them.. thought they were pretty good. I have heard that busses from blt are horrible to everywhere else.. so MK is awesome but good luck getting anywhere else! ugh.. Well, we are going to ssr soon, and it will be busy time before Thanks giving.. so... we shall see... staying in springs section..not sure what that means as far as bus service. I am not afraid of uber either.... thanks so much for your advice!!
We only stayed at AKL once but found the bus service at AKL to be better than SSR. The bus ride to MK was a little long but the waits were fine and there was only 1 other stop. I wouldn’t say we had extensive wait times for buses at SSR but the 5 stops is a little too much for me (grandstand, carousel, paddock, congress park, the springs). It’s one of the things I hated about Riverside before we bought into DVC. As other posters said the location is pretty central so if there aren’t people getting on/off at every stop you may have quick trips.

OK... I am pretty sure I am just going to add on to AKV... the price increase makes me a little sick as I bought my 180 at 85 ppt!!! UGH... I could save money by getting SSR and that would make it better financially but that 11 month booking issue.... so I think its better to have all points available for hard to book times if we ever wanted to do Christmas time.. still debating that and going to run some numbers on it but its probably not worth saving a few thousand by buying SSR and have to deal with juggling points borrowing banking just to have 11 month booking..but the fees are less at SSR but not much... oh my gosh. After all of this I still have to talk my husband into it!! LOL

Thats exactly why we would like to stay there.. we spend lots of night closing MK down... would be so nice to just walk home I agree!! I also love owning akv, same reason we love AK and love staying till closing to ride everest over and over at closing... how many points do you own? My issue is I already own 180 at akv.. I need quite a few more at BLT even planning every other year.... you are right.. it will most likely be worth it in the end.. one funny thing about spending money.. I torture myself at the thought of it.. but once its gone I don't think about how much it was when I am enjoying what I finally bought!!! (if I am happy with it)

We bought 185 BLT points (160 resale, 25 direct), which lets us grab a 2 bedroom for a week or so every other year. I had initially planned to buy at least another 160 points, but find myself cooling off on that idea. We've been going to Disneyland the last couple of years as well and that's just a much less stressful trip (not to mention less expensive and quicker).

We bought 185 BLT points (160 resale, 25 direct), which lets us grab a 2 bedroom for a week or so every other year. I had initially planned to buy at least another 160 points, but find myself cooling off on that idea. We've been going to Disneyland the last couple of years as well and that's just a much less stressful trip (not to mention less expensive and quicker).
Great Weather too!! So, you don't use your points at DL? Or you do? Would love to book grand californian!!

Great Weather too!! So, you don't use your points at DL? Or you do? Would love to book grand californian!!

No we don't use our DVC points at GC. DL is a different trip for us. We fly in for 3-4 days, stay across the street at the Tropicana and walk to the park. With MaxPass 3 full park days is plenty of time to do everything you want to do.

There's no "bubble" at DLR, and the Tropicana is as close to the parks as any of the Disney properties. I wouldn't mind staying at the GC one day if we have spare points, but it's not a great value. I'd be way better off renting the points and paying cash offsite. The Tropicana isn't bad. Recently refurbished, it was clean and comfortable and most importantly close to the parks.

You and I bought akv at the same time. You are basically debating the same thing that we are except swap blt with vgf for us. We were sure we’d be buying vgf as we only really ever go in May. But lo and behold when the 7 month window came for our 2019 trip we could have had our choice on almost all the resorts in a one bedroom (which was the reason we bought dvc in the first place). That severely changed our thinking on things. Will it stay like that in the future? Probably not. But it sure got us looking at buying more akv instead.

But we only go in the spring (usually May) and if we do a rare Christmas trip staying home at akv is pretty good for us. You’re family may be different. I know when we started our dvc adventures my husband wanted SSR due to cost. I knew I wouldn’t be happy there if “stuck” so we went with the next cheapest. We have absolutely no regrets. The more I learn about things the more I’m so thankful we didn’t try and save money and buy where we would love to stay.

You and I bought akv at the same time. You are basically debating the same thing that we are except swap blt with vgf for us. We were sure we’d be buying vgf as we only really ever go in May. But lo and behold when the 7 month window came for our 2019 trip we could have had our choice on almost all the resorts in a one bedroom (which was the reason we bought dvc in the first place). That severely changed our thinking on things. Will it stay like that in the future? Probably not. But it sure got us looking at buying more akv instead.

But we only go in the spring (usually May) and if we do a rare Christmas trip staying home at akv is pretty good for us. You’re family may be different. I know when we started our dvc adventures my husband wanted SSR due to cost. I knew I wouldn’t be happy there if “stuck” so we went with the next cheapest. We have absolutely no regrets. The more I learn about things the more I’m so thankful we didn’t try and save money and buy where we would love to stay.
yes we are in same boat.. I didn't even consider vgf due to cost.... well... I agree.. I love AKV that is why I bought there!! NO issues with the resort at all.. really what happened is I had a 300 pt contract that was taken in rofr.... that messed me all up!! then I had the idea of buying 2 contracts etc. 11 month booking at 2. blah blah.. well... here I still sit. Mainly due to my dh not wanting me to buy more but I know we need them. too bad that original contract didn't work out.. could have had all points I needed and it was 78 ppt!! UGH. So have to move on, I just need to buy more AKV and be done with it.

I am 24 days away from my first ssr trip and when I started this post I was seriously considering SSR due to price.. and that would probably still be ok but now that I am finalizing plans for this trip, very late I know, it was a last minute thing.. I am already seeing that it would for sure be better to just add on to AKV... I am finding akv has such good dining options and ssr not so much not considering disney springs. Unfortunately this is a fast and short trip and we wont have time to do disney springs I don't think, will play that by ear! Anyway, I love that akv is right next to ak.. I love AK and that would make our rope drop for pandora so much easier!!! All in all, lots of great advice .. thanks so much, decision made for sure!

I’m currently wrestling with a similar dilemma. I’m considering adding on at AKV, because we would like a shot at the Value Studios in January. All of our current points are at SSR, and we are happy with that as a home; we like being close to DS, and we’ve been pretty successful switching at 7-Mo. when we want, with the exception of getting AKV-Value or AKV-Concieege. I’ve heard, though, that AKV-Value is even hard to get at 11-Mo. So should I just add on at SSR anyway, since it’s less expensive?? If I could guarantee myself the AKV-Values, it would be worth the trade-off. If, by chance, I can get AKV-Value at 7-Mo., then I come out ahead using SSR points.
Whaddayathink??o_O

I’m currently wrestling with a similar dilemma. I’m considering adding on at AKV, because we would like a shot at the Value Studios in January. All of our current points are at SSR, and we are happy with that as a home; we like being close to DS, and we’ve been pretty successful switching at 7-Mo. when we want, with the exception of getting AKV-Value or AKV-Concieege. I’ve heard, though, that AKV-Value is even hard to get at 11-Mo. So should I just add on at SSR anyway, since it’s less expensive?? If I could guarantee myself the AKV-Values, it would be worth the trade-off. If, by chance, I can get AKV-Value at 7-Mo., then I come out ahead using SSR points.
Whaddayathink??o_O

Owning at AKV will give you a better chance at booking the Value rooms but there won't be a guarantee.

Whaddayathink??o_O
I am a new owner bought in 2016... so I don't have tons of experience trying to book yet, but I think value and concierge are extremely hard to get even at 11 months. You should ask that question in a post and let others chime in that have more experience...but I would think you would be better off adding on to SSR ... now my other question is, do you love SSR or are you usually trying to change at 7 months? If you are usually wanting to change at 7 months and you don't need all of the points at 11 months for big trip, grand villa etc, it may be worth it to add on to AKV or somewhere else to have 11 month booking in general. I love AKV... I love that is right next to AK which is one of my fav parks.. great restaruants on site... and some day it may be hard to get in there at 7 months.. who knows.. my issue with blt is it takes so many more points to stay there!! If it were equal to akv, I probably would bite the bullet and buy there but I would need to buy too many points to have 11 month booking there.. this way if I add all on to AKV I will have all my points to use for big trips, more rooms etc at lower point cost than blt for Aulani etc. Not sure if that makes sense!

I am 24 days away from my first ssr trip and when I started this post I was seriously considering SSR due to price.. and that would probably still be ok but now that I am finalizing plans for this trip, very late I know, it was a last minute thing.. I am already seeing that it would for sure be better to just add on to AKV... I am finding akv has such good dining options and ssr not so much not considering disney springs. Anyway, I love that akv is right next to ak.. I love AK and that would make our rope drop for pandora so much easier!!!
I'm glad you have the opportunity to stay here -- it will give you some good insight into the SSR tradeoffs, which you've already seen regarding dining. We stayed there last year in a treehouse. Fun to do once in a while, but definitely not the same proximity to all the amenities that you get elsewhere. There's a lot of busing around at SSR.

I am 24 days away from my first ssr trip and when I started this post I was seriously considering SSR due to price.. and that would probably still be ok but now that I am finalizing plans for this trip, very late I know, it was a last minute thing.. I am already seeing that it would for sure be better to just add on to AKV... I am finding akv has such good dining options and ssr not so much not considering disney springs. Unfortunately this is a fast and short trip and we wont have time to do disney springs I don't think, will play that by ear! Anyway, I love that akv is right next to ak.. I love AK and that would make our rope drop for pandora so much easier!!! All in all, lots of great advice .. thanks so much, decision made for sure!

I think you made the right choice. If you weren't going to really stay at SSR it's so much easier to have all your points at one resort (and the same use year). Trying to book trips using points from two different contracts is a pain and you'll thank yourself later! Plus if you like AKV more than SSR you'll feel better about owning there, even if it costs a little more.

I think you made the right choice. If you weren't going to really stay at SSR it's so much easier to have all your points at one resort (and the same use year). Trying to book trips using points from two different contracts is a pain and you'll thank yourself later! Plus if you like AKV more than SSR you'll feel better about owning there, even if it costs a little more.
Thanks! I can't say for sure I like akv more but I love AKV sooo... we shall see! I love being at least close to one park....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!