Reason for Early (Disappointing) MK Closing Times December 2017?

waltfan33

Earning My Ears
First post. I'll be taking a group of 20 to Disney from the 10th-17th. I tend to go around this time, and have always enjoyed late nights in MK. Few points:

1. There is EMH on the 13th, but Splash Mtn is no longer open for EMH apparently.
  2. The 16th of December (Saturday) currently has MK closing at 9pm--the 23rd is no better at 10pm. (Compared to December 9th at 12am).
I have conversed with Disney staff about this, but I don't think they understand how the late nights (with the lights) are such a memorable portion of our trip--and even though they ask us to plan months ahead of time--they seemingly have no issue throwing us a curve ball re: closing times--with barely anytime to plan around it.

Does anyone know why they are doing this/is there a plan in place to extend the hours? (I might rethink the timing of future vacations if they don't). Thanks for the help!

We have been the last 7 years at Christmas time (9th to 26th) and visiting again this year, and not once have the published hours at this stage been the final hours. For example, it says Christmas Day and 26th opens at 9am, but every single year there are daily EMH from 7am with the park opening at 8am from around 21st/22nd December until after we leave. We take the published park hours with a pinch of salt, until much nearer the time. I am sure they will either extend the evening hours or add EMH (if you are staying on site).

We have been the last 7 years at Christmas time (9th to 26th) and visiting again this year, and not once have the published hours at this stage been the final hours. For example, it says Christmas Day and 26th opens at 9am, but every single year there are daily EMH from 7am with the park opening at 8am from around 21st/22nd December until after we leave. We take the published park hours with a pinch of salt, until much nearer the time. I am sure they will either extend the evening hours or add EMH (if you are staying on site).

Thank you Jackie--perhaps I was not paying attention the years prior to this one (this will be 6th one since 2010--it always seemed to be set by now for the middle of the month. (if I'm remembering right)

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it's around the third Monday of the month before, but they suit themselves those Disney people, so who really knows! When I go this year I am going to bring back a timetable for each park for Christmas week, so I can upload copies of the park hours this time next year to allay people's fears about the same issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter