reasonable $$$ amount for autism advocate

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Just wondered what you thought a reasonable amount per hour would be to spend on an Autism/LD advocate in regards to:
1) help design an appropriate IEP-maybe/maybe not attend the IEP
-or-
2) attend the IEP meeting and advocate for specific services

???
those services are strictly volunteer around here, unless you are calling in a lawyer.

Our federal taxes pay for Advocacy groups in each state that do that sort of thing. Here's a link to parent programs in every state. Scroll down until you find your state. There are also regional offices.
Here's also a link to the PACER center. It's in Minnesota, but it is the model for other similar programs throughout the US. The PACER center site has a lot of good links, and since it's been around the longest, it has a nice, organized web site. If your state doesn't provide quite the same services, they should know where to send you for help with your question.
Good luck.

Just found this post, here in MA I work for a non-profit and we charge $75/hour. We do have reduced rates for those who qualify. I personally know my advocate and she charges me just $25/hr which is bargain basement. It really depends on whoyou go with. But to me I would pay my advocates full rate because she is that good but she charges me so low because she is my friend. Good luck on your search.

Thank you for the replies.
Here in GA it's next to impossible to get a "free" advocate...they are that busy!
Not looking to take the school system to court or to mediation, but need someone to help with appropriate IEP's, services, following of IDEA, and learning the ropes. I know there are books available, but sometimes one needs to show you "how" to handle an IEP. Workshops aren't always timely when you need them. ....thus a paid advocate is needed. Thanks again!

Good morning Mickey's Bud! You sound just like me. I use my advocate to help me negotiate the IEP too. I haven't had any issues with the school but I get too emotional when dealing with my son. Though I have to admit last year I was 9 months pregnant when I had my son't meeting and they were really nice to me!!! Here is Mass we have the "Federation for Children with Special Needs" and they run courses on becoming an advocate and are on the web. Anything like that with you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter