Recent experience's in the tween clubs

obsesseddisneyfan

Earning My Ears
I am going on a cruise with my kids (they will have just tuned 11 at the time). They loved the kids clubs on prior trips but I understand that they will not be allowed to go. They can go to the Tween club. Any recent experiences with kids this age. How did it change? was it better or worse? what were the challenges? What were the things your kids enjoyed? Thanks. I am not trying to hash out if Disney should have made this change. However Disney did make the change and I am trying to understand how it has effected the 11 years olds.

The tween clubs have not really changed... Access policy to the clubs, especially Oceeaneer, was tightened up meaning that those 11 years old now only have the option of going to Edge. Programming in Edge is the same as the programming in Edge before. The key differences are: Self check-in/check-out only (ie: kids can go in an out as they wish), group type activities and challenge, but also the option to be on their own and play games.... More often than not... it becomes a meeting spots for tweens who stick around for a bit, and then might end up elsewhere with new friends they've just made

The tween clubs have not really changed... Access policy to the clubs, especially Oceeaneer, was tightened up meaning that those 11 years old now only have the option of going to Edge. Programming in Edge is the same as the programming in Edge before. The key differences are: Self check-in/check-out only (ie: kids can go in an out as they wish), group type activities and challenge, but also the option to be on their own and play games.... More often than not... it becomes a meeting spots for tweens who stick around for a bit, and then might end up elsewhere with new friends they've just made
Do you have experience with your tweens or is this general information?

for my kids Edge and Vibe was always a hit or miss. Unfortunately at that age kids start getting cliquey and having different ideas of fun compared to younger kids who just "play". Some trips they met and made great friends. Some trips not ( one sailing it seems like most girls my DD age were all platinum and knew each other and were just hangin on on the ship with their phones - seems they all had data package and social) I would say for boys based on my son's experiences it was easier as many just went their onw their own and gamed together.

My son loved the Edge (tween club) last summer on the Wonder when he was 11. As the previous poster mentioned, he often met up with other kids there and would do activities around the ship either as organized activities (scavenger hunts, games on the sports deck) or with small groups on their own (pool, slide, movie).

There were also activities in the club itself: karaoke, video game matches, various challenges.

We sail the Fantasy in two weeks so hopefully he will have another great experience. I will say the other 11 and 12 year old he met in the Edge last year would all go into the younger kids club together sometimes too and I think he will miss that.

Our son had a great time in Edge last summer (he turned 12 right after the cruise ended). He'd pop down for ice cream or drinks here and there, got comfortable going up to the club by himself from our room, we'd meet up for dinner or a quick lunch (grab a burger on the pool deck mostly). Was a good balance of a little freedom for him but still felt safe to my wife. He had fun with the video games, scavenger hunts, etc. Good CMs. Made a few friends. He's excited to be back next year for Alaska (still Edge).

My oldest was 11 (turning 12 on the last day of our cruise) and he loved Edge. We had to schedule "required family time" with him, otherwise he'd want to be there all the time except for CC. We had set times he needed to come back to the room to check in/get ready for activities and he was always prompt. Our biggest issue would be that he wouldn't eat lunch on his own--he would just pop down for an ice cream occasionally but not have a meal. This resulted in a lightheaded, slightly hangry and more susceptible to seasickness kid.

My youngest will go to the kids club willingly if we have an adult only activity booked, but never asked to go of this own volition.

Former Edge/Vibe counselor here!

I would definitely recommend having your tweens show up for icebreakers on the first night it's when the kids get to really know the counselors and the other tweens. Of course they can come whenever and if you're kids are naturally outgoing they'll be fine showing up whenever.

If your tween is a bit shy it's also okay for them to show up for the first time on other days, the counselors do their very best to get the kids engaged and meeting other tweens but friendships on cruises form FAST so sometimes the shyer kids feel like they're intruding even though they aren't.

My brothers have been Edge kids before (sometimes with me as their counselor sometimes not) the youngest one is very shy 99% of the time but put him on a cruise ship and it's like a whole different kid came to cruise. He loves it and he's so sad that he just aged out of Vibe.

But definitely try and get your tween there the 1st night when everyone is on the same page and knows no one.

My brothers have been Edge kids before (sometimes with me as their counselor sometimes not) the youngest one is very shy 99% of the time but put him on a cruise ship and it's like a whole different kid came to cruise.

My old kid is still kids club aged and the kid I brought on the cruise is not the kid who lives with me at home. On the cruise "please leave me here all day long, don't even bring me out to feed me".....at home "I don't like being alone upstairs, there are monsters"

My old kid is still kids club aged and the kid I brought on the cruise is not the kid who lives with me at home. On the cruise "please leave me here all day long, don't even bring me out to feed me".....at home "I don't like being alone upstairs, there are monsters"
Omg I could have written this - my daughter loves the kids club and is desperate for independence on the ship, but at home doesn’t even want to go to her own bedroom alone.

My kids both went to and loved the Edge 1.5 years ago. They spent as much time as possible in there. They are both Edge aged still and will be in there in 8 days!

On our FB group the Edge kids have a text group chat. It got to the point where they needed a boys chat and a girls chat because they had too many kids. I have one of each so my kids kinda set up the new chats. The girls now chat ALL the time. They are making bracelets for each other and are currently discussing an initial meet up time. The boys chat is pretty quiet- hahaha. But I guess they’ll know their names.

My son loved the Edge (tween club) last summer on the Wonder when he was 11. As the previous poster mentioned, he often met up with other kids there and would do activities around the ship either as organized activities (scavenger hunts, games on the sports deck) or with small groups on their own (pool, slide, movie).

There were also activities in the club itself: karaoke, video game matches, various challenges.

We sail the Fantasy in two weeks so hopefully he will have another great experience. I will say the other 11 and 12 year old he met in the Edge last year would all go into the younger kids club together sometimes too and I think he will miss that.
Thanks for the information.

Former Edge/Vibe counselor here!

I would definitely recommend having your tweens show up for icebreakers on the first night it's when the kids get to really know the counselors and the other tweens. Of course they can come whenever and if you're kids are naturally outgoing they'll be fine showing up whenever.

If your tween is a bit shy it's also okay for them to show up for the first time on other days, the counselors do their very best to get the kids engaged and meeting other tweens but friendships on cruises form FAST so sometimes the shyer kids feel like they're intruding even though they aren't.

My brothers have been Edge kids before (sometimes with me as their counselor sometimes not) the youngest one is very shy 99% of the time but put him on a cruise ship and it's like a whole different kid came to cruise. He loves it and he's so sad that he just aged out of Vibe.

But definitely try and get your tween there the 1st night when everyone is on the same page and knows no one.
thanks for the good information

We had an up and down experience with Edge this past April, but it had far more to do with the group in that club than the club itself. Middle school behaviors don’t confine themselves to land but when things happen outside the confines of the club there isn’t a whole lot that can be done. Still my son found a core group to hang out with and they made their own fun out on the pool deck and in other open areas.

We had an up and down experience with Edge this past April, but it had far more to do with the group in that club than the club itself. Middle school behaviors don’t confine themselves to land but when things happen outside the confines of the club there isn’t a whole lot that can be done. Still my son found a core group to hang out with and they made their own fun out on the pool deck and in other open areas.
Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear about the issues as well.

Does anyone have any recent experience, as in since the change, if they're allowing almost 11-year-olds in Edge? My son's birthday is in the middle of hurricane season so I'd love to go when he's 10 yr 10 months old instead. His sister will be 13 and I think they'd appreciate being in the same club and Edge seems to have more things he's into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter