Recent Food Prices & souvenir budget- am I being realistic?

MissCecelia

Earning My Ears
I was kind of going off the cost of the qs ddp. I have plans to have breakfast in room every day and eating qs for each meal. For Me, My husband, my 9 year old and my 2 year old I have budgeted $700 for food for 7 days. This includes drinks and snacks

souvenir wise is a bit different. I'm getting memory maker and that (plus a bb8 collecter's mug!) is all I know I'll want. I'm not big on souvenirs from any place. I prefer memories to things and clutter stresses me out. My husband is getting a $170 budget (what I'm getting) and the kids will get whatever they get from their birthdays. My parents and uncles have already stated they'll give them disney gift cards. They'll get at least $200 each. Maybe more. We won't let them have less then $200.

My 2 year old doesn't really NEED much stuff and I'm doing a DIY grand welcome with ton's of stuffed animals, shirts, pjs, Disney themed candy and toys. I've budgeted for this separatly and it's only costing my $100 oop (thank you swagbucks) He'll be enamored with most of that.

Some people say they spend $200 on food each day and can blow through $600 in souvenirs. I read somewhere else that a cup of coffee and 1 soda costs more then the refillable mug. Am I underestimating costs here?

It depends on how and what you eat and what you want to buy. We have done tripe where we spent almost nothing on souvenirs and trips where the 3 of us spent $1000. My 12 year old is the size of an adult and eats adult meals. We can sometimes spend more that $100 a day on lunch dinner and snacks for the 3 of us, sometimes less. We won't make it 12-14 hours in the park just eating twice. We will definitely need a snack and at least a couple of drinks. We we aren't that hungry and can share meals we spend less. When everyone is starving we spend more. Never $200 a day eating quick service only, but definitely close to that with a sit down meal in the mix.

It depends on how and what you eat and what you want to buy. We have done tripe where we spent almost nothing on souvenirs and trips where the 3 of us spent $1000. My 12 year old is the size of an adult and eats adult meals. We can sometimes spend more that $100 a day on lunch dinner and snacks for the 3 of us, sometimes less. We won't make it 12-14 hours in the park just eating twice. We will definitely need a snack and at least a couple of drinks. We we aren't that hungry and can share meals we spend less. When everyone is starving we spend more. Never $200 a day eating quick service only, but definitely close to that with a sit down meal in the mix.

Thanks for the reply :D

Do you think if I brought some snacks for the kids in the park and maybe even things I know my picky 2 year old would like to eat and warm up in the baby care center ( easy mac, gerber toddler meals, cheese sticks and grapes) this would help with staying firmly in the $100 a day limit? I really want some fresh food-but the grocery delivery seems so high! It most likely doesn't help that I live in a heavy agricultural area and our farmer's markets have great fruit for so so cheap. More then $.99 a pound for grapes is light highway robbery here.

If you plan ahead, and take snacks you can do $100 for 6 quick service meals(that would be $16/plate). The 2yo can just eat off your meal. If you need extra drinks, water is free all over the park. Just walk up to a counter and ask for a large ice water.

Go over to allears.net and check out the dining area. They have menus with prices for every table and counter service on property. You can plan what you will probably have for most meals and get an idea of what your budget needs to be.

Assuming your kids will order off of the kids menu I think its totally possible to do 2 QS meals for you guys for $100 a day.

Assuming your kids will order off of the kids menu I think its totally possible to do 2 QS meals for you guys for $100 a day.
Thanks for the reply :D

Do you think if I brought some snacks for the kids in the park and maybe even things I know my picky 2 year old would like to eat and warm up in the baby care center ( easy mac, gerber toddler meals, cheese sticks and grapes) this would help with staying firmly in the $100 a day limit? I really want some fresh food-but the grocery delivery seems so high! It most likely doesn't help that I live in a heavy agricultural area and our farmer's markets have great fruit for so so cheap. More then $.99 a pound for grapes is light highway robbery here.
If you bring snacks with you and stick to the free water at counter service locations I think you should be able to do $100 per day. Most adult entrees are $10-$15 and kids meals are $6-7. The exception is Be Our Guest where the prices are somewhat higher (several items are $16 or higher and several kids meals are $8.50). Drinking water instead of soda will also help the budget a lot since a drink is like $3. All these prices are pretax so keep that in mind.

If you're only doing QS, I think you can do $50/meal, especially if you get 2 kids' meals, or get 1 adult meal to share between the kids. It depends on your 9-yr-old. My oldest has always been a big eater and big for his age (a month shy of 14, he's 5'10 and still growing). The last time we got a dining plan he was almost 9, and fussed about having to get kids' meals everywhere because 4 little chicken nuggets or a kids' burger was not enough for him. My youngest is 10 now and has just recently started getting adult combo meals at places like Chick-Fil-A. The last time we were at Disney, we were getting 3 adult meals and 1 kids' meal for QS and it averaged $50 per meal. Some places were closer to $45, some places were more like $55. Prices have gone up since then, but I still think you can do it for $50/meal if you get 2 kids' meals. If your 2-yr-old will still use a sippy cup or straw cup, take one with you in your park bag and split your drinks with him/her, or bring some juice boxes in your suitcase to put in your room fridge.

We were on a budget on our last trip as well, so I tried hard to think of creative souvenirs that would be special. I actually bought a stuffed Jedi Mickey, a Minnie mouse, and a Donald for each of them online before we left town. I saved quite a bit of money doing that, because then they weren't begging for a stuffed animal throughout the parks. I also bought some pins for trading online (I know, I know, probably 99% of them weren't authentic, but my kids were 6, 5, and 4, so they didn't care). They also did pressed pennies throughout the parks, which they LOVED. So those were some of our money saving ways of doing souvenirs. Everyone did get ears while we were there, because I feel that's a staple experience. And they all got small souvies too, but nothing too expensive. My son did the Jedi Training Academy, so we have his certificate of completion, which is another unique and special souvenir.

Your food budget sounds doable. My kids shared plates, and even my husband and I shared a few meals. I did bring snacks into the parks- granola, apple sauce packs, crackers, fruit rope, bags of apple slices and carrots... Things like that. We munched on that and got smaller meals. For special treats, we shared them. Like dole whips. My kids all shared one. They didn't each need their own. SO it's totally doable.

Your food budget is totally doable. I suggest you drink the free water (budget or not you'll just feel better with water), share meals and check out the menus on allears. There are a lot of places that you can get snacks that can be a great lunch or dinner. Baked potatoes and egg rolls in the magic kingdom are 2 of my favorites.

It definitely depends on what you eat and what you buy.

I think $100 is appropriate for 2 QS meals/day with a few snacks. You can cut down on costs by sharing a large drink, bringing water, or getting free ice water from the QS places (any of them should give you a free cup of ice water if you ask). A lot of adult meals, in my opinion, are big enough to split, so on some days when you're not too hungry, maybe you'd split a meal. For your 2 year old, is he going to share a meal? Not sure ifshe would want his own kids meal, would share with big sis or mom and dad, or would be satisfied w/ a side of fries and some bites off of other's plates. Kids meals typically come with an entree and two sides, and I think a small drink, so it's possible the 2 little ones could share or you could do an adult meal and they could share that. Snacks are probably $5/person, so that's $20/day, so you're looking at $40 per meal QS and 1 snack per person, I think that is totally doable.

Another thought is to bring some snacks into the parks - I know little ones sometimes like to snack a lot, so if you have something to keep them occupied and then they have their 1 "special snack" of the day, they'll probably be excited! Lots of snacks are shareable too, ice cream sundae, Mickey pretzel, etc.

My favorite "cheap" snack is the kids cone at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street at MK. $2.99, you get an ice cream cone with 2 little chocolate disks on top to make it look like Mickey ears. It's the perfect amount of ice cream for an adult or a kid.

$200 per girl for souvenirs seems like plenty! Not sure how much they'll want but I totally think $200 is enough for a couple really nice souvenirs!

Another thought.. have you considered the QS dining plan? If you do it, you'd be paying $107 per night for 2 adults & one child (2 yr old is free and can eat off your plates). This is 2 meals per day with drink and dessert, plus one snack and one mug.

You can swap desserts or drinks for side items, like a side of fries or fruit, which the little one may enjoy.

Not sure of your thoughts, but this may give you the freedom to eat what you want, get expensive snacks, and fill your mugs at the food court. You wouldn't worry at all about prices because you've already paid for it.

I was kind of going off the cost of the qs ddp. I have plans to have breakfast in room every day and eating qs for each meal. For Me, My husband, my 9 year old and my 2 year old I have budgeted $700 for food for 7 days. This includes drinks and snacks

souvenir wise is a bit different. I'm getting memory maker and that (plus a bb8 collecter's mug!) is all I know I'll want. I'm not big on souvenirs from any place. I prefer memories to things and clutter stresses me out. My husband is getting a $170 budget (what I'm getting) and the kids will get whatever they get from their birthdays. My parents and uncles have already stated they'll give them disney gift cards. They'll get at least $200 each. Maybe more. We won't let them have less then $200.

My 2 year old doesn't really NEED much stuff and I'm doing a DIY grand welcome with ton's of stuffed animals, shirts, pjs, Disney themed candy and toys. I've budgeted for this separatly and it's only costing my $100 oop (thank you swagbucks) He'll be enamored with most of that.

Some people say they spend $200 on food each day and can blow through $600 in souvenirs. I read somewhere else that a cup of coffee and 1 soda costs more then the refillable mug. Am I underestimating costs here?

Do you need a $200 budget each for your kids for souvenirs? That seems like a lot, especially since you don't like clutter. I know you said much of it will come from gifts, but you and dh are sticking to a light souvenir budget, so maybe you can not add to their gift cards and use that $ to supplement your food budget. The kids can choose one or two things at the end of the trip ( especially since you have arrival gifts). Bring a few snacks with you to help the time In between meals.

I fall into the doable with water, probably not with soda line. Take some lemonade packets, crystal light, mio etc if you get sick of water. Figure $15 an entree, $10 for the 9 year old, then a $5 snack for each. That's $100 before soda.

Take a look at wegoshop for fresh grocery delivery. We had berries, bananas, apples, grapes--overall a ton of produce waiting at our resort. With tip and delivery fee, it was around $30 for them to bring it onsite, plus the food cost. They had run a $25 off $100 purchase last fall, not sure if that offer remains. Another option is a cab ride/1 day car rental to hit the store. Produce prices at Disney is crazy.

Kid's meals cost $6-8; and usually include an entree, side & drink.

Adult entrees usually run $10-15 and usually include a side of some sort; I feel like $13 is about the average for what my family usually buys.

So for 4 kids meals and 4 adult meals a day, you're looking at approximately $80 - leaving $20/day for snacks & sodas.

It's usually just my son and I when we travel (he's 8) and we've found it works best for us to share food - mostly because then we get to try more things.

A general day for us is: Breakfast of granola bar or bagel or something we brought for the room. Mickey pretzel snack ($5), adult meal to share for lunch ($15). Then maybe a little bit later get a frozen lemonade and/or mickey bar to share ($10ish for both), then later have dinner (often for dinner we'll get our own meals so $40 for a high estimate). We only drink water unless he gets a drink with his kids meal.

If it were me, I'd rather budget more and take it home so I'd raise the $100 a day budget personally (knowing that I'd have some to take home).

As for souvenirs, the only things we buy at Disney are things that we can't get somewhere else. If he has his own money, I'll let him buy something if he insists, but usually if I tell him we can get it at Target cheaper, he decides he doesn't need it that badly. I don't really get the bring your own souvenir thing, personally. It's just more junk but it's not special. At least the junk we buy AT WDW is Disney junk, lol. (Our last trip was more than we usually spend on souvenirs because we both several things at the F&G festival.)

Last trip My family really tried to keep the budget down. Between the 5 of us we easily shared 3-4 adult QS meals SUPPLEMENTED WITH FRUITS/VEGGYS AND SNACKS WE BROUGHT WITH US. We brought refillable filter bottles into the parks and just drank water. We did have mugs back at the resort for DH and I so I could get my soda fill and milk for the kids.
So I think your family of 4 could easily get by with 3 adult QS meals plus extras you bring with you. Also consider buying the food al a carte; just an extra entree and share the sides. That takes you to about $90/. However, no matter what snacks we brought my family still desired a Disney snack each day. Whether is was two big treats from the bakery or something small for each of us - I think that would put you over your budget. I'd sat $115/day would be a more realistic bud get.

As far as souvenirs; I think if everyone is just given a certain amount it isn't too hard to just stick to it. My kids would be thrilled to have $200 each to spend. Though I could see it depending on how often they go to DW. Have they been before or is this a "once in a lifetime" trip? I think the latter would leave me to want to buy more.

I think your budget is fine...your kids are small,and the 2 yo probably doesn't need a full kids meal of their own... in fact it is probably more cost effective to avoid 'kids meals',just get some items from a menu that appeal,and share it between yourselves and the kids- that said, I like some of the kids meals qs options for myself! depending on where you eat, you could have your kids share- last week at AoA my DH ordered a kids chicken parm with pasta and sauce,it came with a drink and sides and was enough for him for lunch, and he's a big eater! For 3 people plus a 2 yo $100 a day sounds fine... share drinks(or drink free water) share sides,share fun snacks like ice creams or cupcakes....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter